TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

I feel like watching a tournament with pistol/ar starts is gonna be similar to watching a level 50 stream default team slayer. It will be competitive but it won't be very entertainig for viewers to watch. Something about having the most versatile weapon in the game off the start just seems to help create more exciting gameplay. BR starts in the beta were a lot more fun, but again that's just my opinion.

I feel like watching a tournament with pistol/ar starts is gonna be similar to watching a level 50 stream default team slayer. It will be competitive but it won't be very entertainig for viewers to watch. Something about having the most versatile weapon in the game off the start just seems to help create more exciting gameplay. BR starts in the beta were a lot more fun, but again that's just my opinion.

I'd argue that starting with an AR/Pistol allows players to be more versatile than just starting with any one weapon. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd argue that starting with an AR/Pistol allows players to be more versatile than just starting with any one weapon. 

Frank, you have turned from the Beyond troll to fighting for the most competitive Halo starts possible.

happy_gif.gif

#GOAT

• Upvote (+1) 1

Frank, you have turned from the Beyond troll to fighting for the most competitive Halo starts possible.

happy_gif.gif

#GOAT

This isn't even my final form. 

All hail our pistol skin overlords. 

I just cant see anybody ever picking up BRs or DMRs if the pistol is the go-to ToD, which is a shame.

While BR/AR is the most competitive it seems very boring from a viewer point of view. Gotta say I'm pretty bummed. 

I just cant see anybody ever picking up BRs or DMRs if the pistol is the go-to ToD, which is a shame.

While BR/AR is the most competitive it seems very boring from a viewer point of view. Gotta say I'm pretty bummed. 

I think the maps we've seen for arena have all been fairly close quartered except for some lines of sight, I'm hoping there'll be a few maps focusing more on longer range battles where going for BRs and DMRs will be beneficial. 

I think the maps we've seen for arena have all been fairly close quartered except for some lines of sight, I'm hoping there'll be a few maps focusing more on longer range battles where going for BRs and DMRs will be beneficial. 

Yeah, would be nice. 

I'm all for a 4SK pistol that dominates at CQC and mid ranges with an AR or SMG as a safety net for less skilled players (while still being less optimal than the pistol) and having the BR and DMR being the go-to weapon for long range battles. 

Do you guys really think the reason the MLG playlist was in the bottom half of population was because of it's settings? You don't think it had anything to do with being, I don't know, the HARDEST playlist in the game? Not everyone plays Halo for it's competitive merit and they never will. If the vanilla settings for Halo 5 stay the way they are and competitive uses those settings then Halo 5 is fucked. The barrier between the competitive side and social side isn't "settings" it's the damn mentality if the players. People like to pubstomp. More people like to do that than play against equally skilled players. Look at what happened with Advanced Warfare with it's sbmm people rioted. I've never heard anyone say "You know I really like competitive Halo but I jut don't know the settings. Gee golly now I will never try the playlist". We need a playlist that is the most competitive version of Halo and we need fun playlists. The 2 are not synonymous and they never will be. Halo has too many fans to cater towards one central aspect.

Making universal settings is gonna fuck this game up.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

When has competitive halo ever had a starting secondary weapon since halo1? The BR is as versatile as both weapons combined. No need for complicating things, having to swap to an AR when you pick up a power weapon so you can keep your pistol.

So much this.

I enjoyed week 1 of the beta infinitely more than week 2.

The way I see the AR+Magnum spawn is kinda like this:

AR=short-mid range

Magnum=mid-long range

It is a utility loadout, with the easier/more specialized guns on the map that you trade one of your spawning guns for. I like that little trade-off for on-map weapon advantages.

In week 1 of the beta, the fact that both the AR and the Magnum could effectively reach out to long range gave them utility, but because it is naturally difficult to do so with them, encourages more aggressive map movement and weapon swaps that players can practice with to expand their weapon versatility.

In week 1 of the beta, I felt like I was free to roam around the map without being cross-map teamshot but at the same time I felt like I could effectively defend myself and push off spawn as well.

There wasn't one moment during week 1 of the beta where I felt defenseless off spawn. The Magnum just needed to be a lot less clunky to use at range while in scope, and 343I has pretty much fixed that.

Even if the Magnum stays as is, I much, MUCH prefer the current AR+Magnum starts gameplay we have now to ¡Team BR! starts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So much this.

I enjoyed week 1 of the beta infinitely more than week 2.

The way I see the AR+Magnum spawn is kinda like this:

AR=short-mid range

Magnum=mid-long range

It is a utility loadout, with the easier/more specialized guns on the map that you trade one of your spawning guns for. I like that little trade-off for on-map weapon advantages.

In week 1 of the beta, the fact that both the AR and the Magnum could effectively reach out to long range gave them utility, but because it is naturally difficult to do so with them, encourages more aggressive map movement and weapon swaps that players can practice with to expand their weapon versatility.

In week 1 of the beta, I felt like I was free to roam around the map without being cross-map teamshot but at the same time I felt like I could effectively defend myself and push off spawn as well.

There wasn't one moment during week 1 of the beta where I felt defenseless off spawn. The Magnum just needed to be a lot less clunky to use at range while in scope, and 343I has pretty much fixed that.

Even if the Magnum stays as is, I much, MUCH prefer the current AR+Magnum starts gameplay we have now to ¡Team BR! starts.

So... TLDR; you don't like getting spawn killed, and you would rather be able to run around the map aimlessly without getting shot because it's easier than orchestrating team pushes and reversing momenting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's amazing how different our opinions are here fellas. Not a bad thing of course.

Although the pistol was my ToD, I couldn't enjoy the beta (and subsequently played less of it) without br starts.

I rewatched game 3 of Optic vs Supremacy to count how many kills were gotten with the AR/Pistol.

30 Pistol kills, 8 AR kills. The Pistol doesn't need a buff and the AR doesn't need to be nerfed IMO.

So... TLDR; you don't like getting spawn killed, and you would rather be able to run around the map aimlessly without getting shot because it's easier than orchestrating team pushes and reversing momenting.

That fact that I am more individually empowered because I don't have to rely on teamshot to make a play is the exact reason why I find it more entertaining so yes, sort of.

You shouldn't be able to spawn trap with ease from across the map. The Magnum could cross-map too, its just no where near as easy as with the BR.

I rewatched game 3 of Optic vs Supremacy to count how many kills were gotten with the AR/Pistol.

30 Pistol kills, 8 AR kills. The Pistol doesn't need a buff and the AR doesn't need to be nerfed IMO.

Starting with a weapon like that is just wrong IMO. A low skill auto that is actually effective when fired (the difference from CE so don't use that argument) is a problem for competitive.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If you preferred the AR starts in the beta, you must have never played against good players who got ahold of the BRs/DMRs on the Midship map.

I did plenty of times.

It was not really much of a problem because the AR and Magnum could both reach out and ping/kill people.

The only problem was that the Magnum was clunky as hell to use in scope, meaning that you could only hipfire. Now that the Magnum scope is no longer clunky to use, the Magnum can reliably hit at range IF you are skilled enough to counter the lack of Aim Assist and Bullet Magnetism at range.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Just imagine how much bigger that difference will be when players are much more practiced with the Magnum.

If you preferred the AR starts in the beta, you must have never played against good players who got ahold of the BRs/DMRs on the Midship map.

Me and my team got put in semi-pro after our 10 placement matches, we enjoyed AR/Pistol so much more. High level (I only say high level because most teams we faced were also semi-pro/pro teams) BR starts played incredibly slow because of sprint/thruster.

You could be very aggressive during AR/Pistol start week. As far as people picking up the rifles, it seems like 343 has majorly cut down on the amount of rifles that can be picked up off the map.

The midship remake could play difficult if you completely lost control of the map, but your team could always pick up at least 1 DMR and 1 BR considering they always spawn in your base...

Me and my team got put in semi-pro after our 10 placement matches, we enjoyed AR/Pistol so much more. High level (I only say high level because most teams we faced were also semi-pro/pro teams) BR starts played incredibly slow because of sprint/thruster.

You could be very aggressive during AR/Pistol start week. As far as people picking up the rifles, it seems like 343 has majorly cut down on the amount of rifles that can be picked up off the map.

The midship remake could play difficult if you completely lost control of the map, but your team could always pick up at least 1 DMR and 1 BR considering they always spawn in your base...

First sentence in that last paragraph pretty much shows why it's bad. Dying should never put you at a disadvantage weapon wise. Ever.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1