TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yes, let's push for a BR start when burst fire weapons are awful for competitive, because you seem to think a 4sk pistol is impossible. Literally everyone here is pushing for 4sk pistol or otherwise buffed pistol... 343i would have to be blind as fuck to ignore this.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, 343i wouldn't have to be blind as fuck to ignore this, the nature of ignoring something means that you see it, acknowledge it and then choose to disregard it. I wonder if 343i have ever ignored our wishes before? Hmmm nothing pops to mind and oh shit we have around 150 people here who really really want something from us. We should definitely go for it

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, 343i wouldn't have to be blind as fuck to ignore this, the nature of ignoring something means that you see it, acknowledge it and then choose to disregard it. I wonder if 343i have ever ignored our wishes before? Hmmm nothing pops to mind and oh shit we have around 150 people here who really really want something from us. We should definitely go for it

There's no wave of casuals telling 343i to put in a 5sk pistol like with sprint though. 343i actually did listen to a lot of feedback from the beta, as much as I can't stand their lack of care with MCC I'll give credit where it's due. And I guess you've never heard of statistical sampling...?

Although I think a 4SK pistol is a welcome change I wouldn't exactly be mad if the current pistol stayed. It was evidently much more useful than the AR (watch the killfeed, there is probably one AR kill for every 20 pistol kills) and puts more incentive on picking up BRs and DMRs.

At this point I'm fine with whatever happens. Crucify me.

• Upvote (+1) 5

There's no wave of casuals telling 343i to put in a 5sk pistol like with sprint though. 343i actually did listen to a lot of feedback from the beta, as much as I can't stand their lack of care with MCC I'll give credit where it's due. And I guess you've never heard of statistical sampling...?

Okay, I could either have this argument or I could just say this, if 343i makes the Pistol a 4sk with 12 bullets and changes or keeps the RoF as it is, I will send you a 100 usd worth of Microsoft money or points or whatever kay? Now say whatever you want, I don't care since I'm just going to keep saying, "we will see, we will see"

Okay, I could either have this argument or I could just say this, if 343i makes the Pistol a 4sk with 12 bullets and changes or keeps the RoF as it is, I will send you a 100 usd worth of Microsoft money or points or whatever kay? Now say whatever you want, I don't care since I'm just going to keep saying, "we will see, we will see"

can I get a hundo too

Can someone explain why we want the pistol buffed?  I'm torn because I can see how faster kill times would be appropriate because of the AAs and such, but I also feel like the pistol looks pretty good as it is.  Currently it does get out-classed by other rifles which I guess could be a problem but it would also promote weapon pickup which in turn promotes map movement.  I'm thinking a pistol only start may work, either as it is or maybe a slight RoF boost would keep it in check.  Definitely not feeling AR starts.

Can someone explain why we want the pistol buffed? I'm torn because I can see how faster kill times would be appropriate because of the AAs and such, but I also feel like the pistol looks pretty good as it is. Currently it does get out-classed by other rifles which I guess could be a problem but it would also promote weapon pickup which in turn promotes map movement. I'm thinking a pistol only start may work, either as it is or maybe a slight RoF boost would keep it in check. Definitely not feeling AR starts.

Map weapons shouldn't outclass starting weapons. You should always assume the worst scenario for something to see if it's balanced. Here: your whole team gets killed. The enemy team has DMRs and other rifles that are better at range and they are spawn killing you. Would you really want a gun that's not good enough to compete fairly?

Although I think a 4SK pistol is a welcome change I wouldn't exactly be mad if the current pistol stayed. It was evidently much more useful than the AR (watch the killfeed, there is probably one AR kill for every 20 pistol kills) and puts more incentive on picking up BRs and DMRs.

Death by CE Pistol

This is what is the problem with this community, we can't even all be on the same page with the starting weapon now we're going to have Pistol start with AR's but up until this moment we were going to keep it simple halo and do BR start only.

Just sad, we did this same BS with Reach and Halo 4 when it came to settings can we all please get on the same page?

This is what is the problem with this community, we can't even all be on the same page with the starting weapon now we're going to have Pistol start with AR's but up until this moment we were going to keep it simple halo and do BR start only.

Just sad, we did this same BS with Reach and Halo 4 when it came to settings can we all please get on the same page?

It's not our fault as a community, It's Bungie and 343's fault. They have divided the community so much with their constant changing of starting weapons. Halo doesn't have a uniform identity which is why making the games competitive settings the same as vanilla is a nightmare. We have had Ar/pistol starts, BR starts, SMG starts, AR starts, DMR starts no wonder we can't agree. That's why we need different settings. Competitive should be the most competitive settings possible, whereas social should be what pleases the masses. Nobody is winning right now.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

That's asking for the impossible man. Our community has been fractured ever since the release of Halo 2 and it has only gotten worse since then. Everybody in the community has their own preference and vision of what Halo truly is. I think part of the problem is that 343 added the pistol, BR, DMR, Car, and LR to Halo 5 to cater to every demographic in the community. IMO what 343 should do instead of diluting and cluttering the weapon sandbox with too many similar weapons is just get rid of them and give us just one good utility weapon that's similar in function to the Halo CE pistol. Then 343 can allow players to choose how their utility weapon aesthetically looks since that's what players seem mostly attached to anyways.

Since I know 343 would never do what I just suggested to do for the utility then the best thing we can do as a community is disconnect ourselves from our bias opinions and look at the game objectively to see which guns are best fit for the starting utility weapons. Which I think for the most part our community is already doing.

I think it's also important to point out that we have no idea how the game plays with actual competent players (not to be an insult). Similar to how the plasma canon wasn't really utilized. It could be that the pistol is very good once players are able to play at the highest of levels. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's also important to point out that we have no idea how the game plays with actual competent players (not to be an insult). Similar to how the plasma canon wasn't really utilized. It could be that the pistol is very good once players are able to play at the highest of levels.

If you look at the CTF match from the briefing as well (an objective map with a ton of close quarters areas) there was a TON of Pistol in the Killfeed. I think Fathom played amazing as well with a lot of Pistol and DMR dominance.

We need to see some pro team gameplay on the most current build of the game. I'd imagine the way they play is drastically different from what we saw at the invitational as the meta for them has 100% evolved from day one. The invitational was basically "day one"

• Upvote (+1) 6

If the BR kills in 4 shots and is the weapon we have used the most in competitive halo why not just use it? We haven't used a starting pistol since h1, and since then it has been BR start until the DMR was introduced into the halo franchise and since then people are getting confused.

Cut the bullshit and stop trying to make things more difficult then they need to be, how many times honestly do we have to go through not being on the same page with setting changes.....halo 2, halo, 3 and halo 4 were all eventually put into a BR start no secondary place and at those times the games shined. We would of had a BR in Reach but it was never made, stop fking with the formula.

We get a $1million tournament announced for halo and CoD is going to Playstation and we are over here playing with our buttholes about settings that we already established from the beta. I don't care what tweaks they made since beta, if we decide right now for BR start they can tweak again if need be I mean this is their big blockbuster video game right? All eggs in the same basket?

No wonder why still to this day we have people on these very forums saying they want sprint because we have people actually voting on a AR start lol, how messed up are we trying to make this last try for Halo? This is literally the last chance and if it flops Halo is done.

Don't patch the pistol, leave it as a weapon you can pick up on the map and if you use it correctly will kill somebody with a BR.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

We need it because all successful eSports titles are literally the exact same game played casually or competitively. No casual player can relate to watching a no sprint, no bloom, DMR/BR fest with settings changed. It's too high of a barrier for entry. 

This is the problem with our community, stop trying to copy other games and be Halo. We are in this predicament because 343 is trying to copy other games and mimic success but success is not always dictated by copying something especially other games that are not Halo.

In Halo 3 it didn't matter that our competitive settings were so different then the casual ones, we still had sold out events and we still had the MLG playlist being non-stop played everyday 24/7. In Halo 2 were the competitive settings like the casual? no.

Our focus should be on taking halo as far as Halo can go not saying to ourselves if we copy other games we will get there because that has failed for us since Reach and Reach still could of been fixed by simply no bloom - no sprint earlier and more maps that weren't grey.

Individualize yourself, not copy. We are Halo, we are a FPS game that takes enormous amount of individual skill, teamwork, communication, power weapon control, and positioning. We should copy nobody because nobody compares.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

BR only + BR and Pistol is 45% of the poll if added but there is a huge divide

Quite interesting that BR supporters seem to struggle finding a common ground

All of the Vanilla starts supporters (AR + Mag) add up to 49% for comparison

I don't mind which weapon we start with as long as it has:

- Short ttk

- Predictable in the way it fires or recoils or spreads.

- Provide protection (not necessarily lethal/effective) at all ranges to defend off spawn.

We need to see some pro team gameplay on the most current build of the game. I'd imagine the way they play is drastically different from what we saw at the invitational as the meta for them has 100% evolved from day one. The invitational was basically "day one"

I would love to see some gameplay from 343's pro team awell, but at the same time I feel like they would just be teaching too much. Ideally, it's better that we don't know the proper way to play these maps now so that the gameplay can evolve on it's own instead of copying what 343's pro team is doing. We gotta trust that they know what they are doing. Fathom TS played good imo with the 5sk pistol. On the other hand, Empire TS played terrible with it. Is it the maps fault or the pistol?

Fathom TS played good imo with the 5sk pistol. On the other hand, Empire TS played terrible with it. Is it the maps fault or the pistol?

I don't see Empire playing Slayer well regardless of the starting weapon. I think it has potential for objective gametypes, but it's too claustrophobic for 4v4 Slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't like BR starts either, although I would still take those over AR starts in competitive. As a viewer, I'd rather see people start with a weapon that they'd want to upgrade as soon as possible (but would still be viable for outgunning a lesser skilled player with tiered weapons in most situations) because I want to see the players move around and contest the power weapons as much as possible. If pistol only was an option, I'd choose that, but a 4sk pistol is a good option.

So . . . I agree, I think?

AR works good for close range, Pistol works good for what looks like mid to long range altho there's other weapons that specialize in those areas even better like SMG/BR/DMR.

Idk...if pros can't handle fighting with 2 weapons for different ranges I really don't think they deserve the term pro in the first place lol. The pistol felt way harder to aim than the BR in beta anyways, wouldn't that be the more skilled weapon to use anyways? It's whatever i'm sick of complaining about settings these days anyways, we have 4 pro players working at 343 now...I have no problem letting them try what the want out the gate. Worried because of past track record, but the team has changed a lot since then too so. More annoyed with sprint still than AR/Pistol starts. Also it's just more nostalgic for me (H1 kid at heart) 

This is the problem with our community, stop trying to copy other games and be Halo. We are in this predicament because 343 is trying to copy other games and mimic success but success is not always dictated by copying something especially other games that are not Halo.

In Halo 3 it didn't matter that our competitive settings were so different then the casual ones, we still had sold out events and we still had the MLG playlist being non-stop played everyday 24/7. In Halo 2 were the competitive settings like the casual? no.

Our focus should be on taking halo as far as Halo can go not saying to ourselves if we copy other games we will get there because that has failed for us since Reach and Reach still could of been fixed by simply no bloom - no sprint earlier and more maps that weren't grey.

Individualize yourself, not copy. We are Halo, we are a FPS game that takes enormous amount of individual skill, teamwork, communication, power weapon control, and positioning. We should copy nobody because nobody compares.

The problem isn't that Halo is copying. The problem is that Halo has been copying the wrong games and the wrong things. There's nothing wrong with copying a better spectator system, ranking system, league system, etc. 

If someone is doing something better, we should be copying them. It makes no sense to completely split the competitive vs casual settings when it doesn't have to be. 

Here's a recent post I made in the Halo 5: Guardians thread that fits well here. 

An issue arises in the franchise itself's inconsistency of utility weapon, some people love Halo 1 and thus favor the pistol, some people love Halo 2 and favor the BR, some people love reach and favor the DMR, nobody likes Halo 3, you get the idea.

I think people need to focus on what:

1) Makes the game optimally competitive, while at the same time...

2) Making the game accessible and understandable for new players and viewers

Keeping the game in its original, vanilla, out of the box state, as long as it can remain competitively viable in that state, is the best chance Halo 5 has to begin to grow, draw in new players, and draw in more viewers. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Halo3 competitive population and viewership was the run off from the main games popularity. The MLG playlist was easily in the bottom 25% of popularity in terms of population. It's not about copying other games in the sense of copying mechanics, having the competitive settings as close to the general settings makes sense on its own merits:

• You seek improve the game as a whole through feedback, not just a single playlist.
  • You generate interest by channeling the general population into a competitive setting - proximity does work.
  • You seek to increase the games population thus sustainability by presenting the games main experience (in this with Warzone, one of the main experiences) week-in-week-out on Twitch.

Those reasons have nothing to do with other games, merely other games already do them. It's the same with other peripheral aspects like an in game spectator, cosmetic micro-transactions with a community purpose and so on. They work not because of the games they implemented into but because they're generally good ideas in themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 2