TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

When would anybody use the BR? What was the point of even wasting resources making the DMR or BR?

I'd rather have a rifle skin instead of a pistol skin if it functions the same (if they can tweak it that way). 

You're not understanding what I'm saying:

I want the pistol functionality but looks like a rifle. Using a pistol when you have these awesome looking rifle models feels tame to me and I'm not alone.

Some of my casual BK friends were all bummed to see pros using the pistol over a rifle. There's something about it that just makes it feel tame or less lethal. 

It would benefit with a better aesthetic and it does sound terrible. So more like a BR (skin) that is literally the pistol?

Okay I see what you mean that makes sense. I think that would help unify the community.

You want a 5sk weapon start that doesnt look like a pistol....

Oh yeah, DMR.... but wait, we dont want that because.... why again?

Gun is really easy to use.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am still waiting for valid arguments for BR over pistol. The only one so far has been cosmetics...and that is weak at best.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am still waiting for valid arguments for BR over pistol. The only one so far has been cosmetics...and that is weak at best.

Its not like we disagree with what we want for starting weapons. It's literally the model/skin of it. 

Despite the DMR being a decent weapon in Reach and 4, its range and ease of use isn't what 343 wants for a starting weapon. Sure, they could simply make the gun harder to use with a faster KT, but that leaves the BR, Magnum, and Carbine's spot in the game less important.

The Magnum is being pushed because it can become the trusty sidearm that puts up a great fight. It has the perfect range, a nice aesthetic that doesn't take up half the screen, and a quick draw, reload and melee animation. The other rifles, although they may clutter the sandbox a little, are there mostly for people who have the nostalgic factor that draws them. The fact that they are easier to use albeit slower than the gun you carry makes a happy medium for the typical match of Slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, first off I really feel that in competitive settings the AR has no place, so get that out of there. Secondly, I don't think the pistol should be a 4sk. Why would it be? The BR is fine being a 4sk and If i recall correctly the 5 shot pistol has a very similar TTK to the BR. I'm strongly against a 4sk pistol because I think it would be too powerful. If we get a 4sk pistol why don't we just get rid of the BR all together and make the pistol the primary weapon, give it a CE ranged scope? It just doesn't make sense to me. Now the pistol being a 5sk secondary makes sense to me. So my vote is for BR + Pistol.

We are trying to not have to cut any weapons out for competitive play like we had to do with Halo 2 and Halo 3 so that we can have a well rounded sandbox. The issue is that a lot of weapons in Halo 5 are too similar to each other resulting in a redundant and bloated sandbox. Each weapon should have it's own unique traits and serve it's own niche role.

The drawback with leaving the pistol a 5SK is that it's not strong enough to defend it's self against close range weapons such as the AR, SMG and shotgun. Neither is the BR strong enough to compete with them close range either. A good solution to this problem is make the AR and SMG harder to use and make the pistol stronger, not cut them out of the sandbox. Yes the pistol and the BR are very similar in TTK but they both have their own strengths and weaknesses so this wouldn't completely make the BR a useless pick up weapon. The pistol is harder to use and has a faster TTK but the downside to it is the range and scope of the weapon. The BR on the other hand is easier to use and has better range than the pistol but it's downside is that the TTK is slightly slower than the pistol. Making the starting weapons the BR and pistol would make the pistol have a less important role in the sandbox since the BR is easier to use than it.

The real problem that we are clearly having is that 343 doesn't like the idea of having only one utility weapon. Ideally it would be so much better to balance the guns in Halo 5 if there was only one utility weapon similar to the Halo CE pistol instead of multiple weak variations of it that serve very similar niche roles. We need a good strong utility weapon that is hard to use so that it helps balance the weapons in the sandbox and helps counter all of the movement abilities but 343 doesn't seem to acknowledge this.

You clearly have no idea what's good for Halo if you think Teamshooting is a good thing.

WTF yea i guess close range AR fights will be better, trades galore 

To explain, Teamshooting promotes less individual play due to long killtimes. You can't kill someone by yourself effectively, and it results in boring ass gameplay, ala H3 onwards.

i would like to have the option to walk into the enemy base with snipe then noscope all 4 and walk out with the flag pls, indevidual skill>>> teamshot thanks.  i shouldent have to rely on teammates that cant get a single kill because they are missing hands and refuse to communicate.  

the 1 man carry needs to return pls :goat:

You're not understanding what I'm saying:

I want the pistol functionality but looks like a rifle. Using a pistol when you have these awesome looking rifle models feels tame to me and I'm not alone.

Some of my casual BK friends were all bummed to see pros using the pistol over a rifle. There's something about it that just makes it feel tame or less lethal. 

The reason why 343 have made the pistol utility weapon worthy is because they're trying to push AR starts along with it. Ideally, they make the DMR just as difficult to shoot as the pistol, 4sk, 2x scope, and with a 12 bullet clip. Perhaps they can make the pistol similar to the beta where it can be useful in close range, or just keep it as is to alleviate the flaws of AR starts in "casual" matchmaking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

AR starts would see more teamshooting at a high level than ever before. It might be horrible, but people would damn sure be teamshooting.

Cool story bro, now tell me another one while I double melee(BLB) the shit out of you with my big sauce(AR) in Halo CE.

Team-shooting is only a problem when it becomes a necessity to the game and it's not just a situational thing anymore.

I see no problem with the AR being in the competitive setting of Halo 5 as long as 343 makes it harder to use and buffs the pistol to a 4SK so that the pistol has a chance to defend itself from close range.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Gun is really easy to use.

So buff the pistol or nerf the DMR... All in favor? Reach v7 settings made some of the most viewed halo yet.

/s but not /s 

Halo 5 needs to be the product of the copulation of Halo: Reach and Halo: CE.

Can someone give a solid reason why the BR is a better starting weapon than the current pistol and also the potentially buffed pistol? Even if we scratch the AR secondary (yes AR should be the secondary with pistol as primary) I would take the current Pistol over the BR. Its harder to use and kills faster...

Than the current pistol? Sure.

1. Limited clip which only has room for 2 and a half kills before reloading if you land every shot. Definitely does not empower the user as much as the BR in this regard.

2. As it stands, the AR and SMG will ruin it at close range. BR would get wrecked as well but this leads me onto my next point.

3. It has terrible range. It may not have been as noticeable on Empire and Fathom but long ranged battles will be even more non existent if we are using the pistol rather than the BR which would result in most engagements being close-medium range which will promote even more automatic use. The BR has more of an optimal range and a better scope. I have a lot more room using my BR to keep AR or SMG or storm rifle users at bay than I do with the pistol.

4. I don't know if all that much has changed with the BR and pistol from the beta in relation to one another but I found the second week of the beta a lot more enjoyable than the first and I remember reading many comments on here about how people were waiting for BR starts to start playing again during that first week. The first week also resulted in a lot of people swapping their pistol out for BR pickups around empire and pretty sure the pistol had a faster TTK in the beta as well.

I will add that spread on the BR in H5 is completely overblown by some users on this site. These same users tell us to play CE in the MCC yet don't mention that the spread of the pistol in MCC is pretty bad and is made even worse by the low bullet magnetism. The H5 BR isn't worse than this.

Why are we still, STILL babying the casual community, they should learn to use the BR, they should learn to use map positioning, and game knowledge to win games, The BR is the one weapon that takes consistency and accuracy over a long period of time. The Game has evolved past pistol/AR start.. I'm sorry the BR should be the primary weapon, NO secondary. Force the casual community to learn and evolve and play a game made for 2015 not 2004 Halo CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Thank you, everyone is voting for something for which there is no evidence to suggest will happen. Please remove that option until we know there is a chance that the Pistol will be further patched at all for launch. Then we will see where the votes fall. Right now a 4sk Pistol is the ultimate compromise and everyone realizes this and because of that people are voting for it, yet we don't even know if it will happen and right now it is up to any 343 member to guess whether the community would rather have AR&Pistol (no patch) or BR starts. Thus they will 100% go for AR&Pistol due to that bridging the gap between the casual and competitive communities. I don't think it's fair, but that's just me. I feel that it shouldn't be an option to vote for.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yes, let's push for a BR start when burst fire weapons are awful for competitive, because you seem to think a 4sk pistol is impossible. Literally everyone here is pushing for 4sk pistol or otherwise buffed pistol... 343i would have to be blind as fuck to ignore this.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why are we still, STILL babying the casual community, they should learn to use the BR, they should learn to use map positioning, and game knowledge to win games, The BR is the one weapon that takes consistency and accuracy over a long period of time. The Game has evolved past pistol/AR start.. I'm sorry the BR should be the primary weapon, NO secondary. Force the casual community to learn and evolve and play a game made for 2015 not 2004 Halo CE.

The BR is for casuals, single shot utility requires far more skill hth

• Upvote (+1) 4

Honest Question: Where are people getting that the pistol takes more skill to use then BR or DMR? 

Is this based of the beta and supposed changes in the blog? The recent tourny that used a 3 month old build? Has anyone actually played it long enough to be conclusive? Has 343 said so themselves and we are taking their word for it?

Honest Question: Where are people getting that the pistol takes more skill to use then BR or DMR? 

Is this based of the beta and supposed changes in the blog? The recent tourny that used a 3 month old build? Has anyone actually played it long enough to be conclusive? Has 343 said so themselves and we are taking their word for it?

Well, if we are judging from the 3 month year old build. How many perfect kills did you see with the DMR compared to the Pistol?

BR is 3 burst, so the consistency will be a problem. Rumour has it that the BR sucks balls in the most recent builds at range as well, as in 1 or 2 bullets of the burst won't connect.

So yeah, Pistol master race.

• Upvote (+1) 1

try swiping the pistol for a headshot. Single shot weapons miss, BR is easy mode.

I know that the pistol will be in the start weapon, and i know itll be buffed, so i think we're in good shape. In the sprint, they talked about how much they wanted a throwback pistol (aka a useful one) and i think itll be delivered. I still want a nerfed DMR start, however, im just a reach fanboy.

try swiping the pistol for a headshot. Single shot weapons miss, BR is easy mode.

Ok that removes the BR. Though I would argue the skill gap between the pistol, DMR and BR is quite minimal, especially on a console game that has large amounts of AA and bullet mag. What about the DMR?

I know that the pistol will be in the start weapon, and i know itll be buffed, so i think we're in good shape. In the sprint, they talked about how much they wanted a throwback pistol (aka a useful one) and i think itll be delivered. I still want a nerfed DMR start, however, im just a reach fanboy.

Thats a lot of faith to put into a company that has done little to earn any.....

Thats a lot of faith to put into a company that has done little to earn any.....

Personally, 343 earned my faith when they listened to the beta testers and nerfed the AR and SMG after the beta.