TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

A lot of games that are big in "eSports" are close to default, no?

All FGs are played at default. Different genre of game, but none the less

Competitive shooters have always had exclusive playlists with competitive settings. How drastic the difference is between vanilla and comp is determined by how competitive the vanilla settings are. Halo 3 vanilla was ass that's why it was changed so much. Halo 5 as of now has really bad problems for competitive that's why I believe we need a playlist with different rules, unless the vanilla game is changed. Every shooter I have ever played has to do this. Even cod comp is way different than social. My point is that we shouldn't try and force the communities to be the same when both parties want to play a completely different game. Social is a fun more random way to play, whereas ranked is about skill. There is now way the 2 can be the same in Halo at this point. Rather than trying so hard to make the games the same we should just let the player ultimately decide how he wants to play the game. Playlists like SWAT are fundamentally different than Slayer which is different than other playlists as well. Variety in playlists is very important in keeping the community happy. Rather than change the HCS playlist to be like the Social game and vice versa let the player decide how they want to play. If someone wants AR's and smgs they will play social. If they want Pistols and comp settings they'll play ranked.

If argue that even games like LoL would have an even higher fan base if they had more game type variety. It doesn't exclude the comp settings, rather it just encouraged other people to play.

People play the game types that they want to play. Rather than unifying the game make it different and we can have an even bigger fan base. But at the same time encourage people to try the Ranked games by saying things like "Test your skill" on the main menu. Like encourage competitive play but don't force it.

When would anybody use the BR? What was the point of even wasting resources making the DMR or BR?

I'd rather have a rifle skin instead of a pistol skin if it functions the same (if they can tweak it that way).

I'm sure people would still use it. Less skilled players are going to be more comfortable with it and pick it up which is fine. However the best players will use the pistol.

As for skins idk 343 needs to make sure your preferred skins are always on the weapons even if picked up.

When would anybody use the BR? What was the point of even wasting resources making the DMR or BR?

I'd rather have a rifle skin instead of a pistol skin if it functions the same (if they can tweak it that way). 

BR is clearly getting phased out. The gun sucks, and always will suck.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

BR is clearly getting phased out. The gun sucks, and always will suck.

You're not understanding what I'm saying:

I want the pistol functionality but looks like a rifle. Using a pistol when you have these awesome looking rifle models feels tame to me and I'm not alone.

Some of my casual BK friends were all bummed to see pros using the pistol over a rifle. There's something about it that just makes it feel tame or less lethal. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

What I mean is:

I want the pistol functionality but looks like a rifle. Using a pistol when you have these awesome looking rifle models feels tame to me.

Id rather the gun look weak and take skill than vice versa

I want the pistol functionality but looks like a rifle. Using a pistol when you have these awesome looking rifle models feels tame to me and I'm not alone.

Some of my casual BK friends were all bummed to see pros using the pistol over a rifle. There's something about it that just makes it feel tame or less lethal. 

Pistol aesthetic >

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pistol aesthetic >

I disagree. If it were a big ass magnum like the CE one, sure, but it looks and sounds dinky. Same with the peashooter AR. 

Id rather the gun look weak and take skill than vice versa

Guys lol

Read what I'm saying... again... slowly. 

sort of off topic but I think it would be amazing if some of the skins were actually new models. Imagine making your pistol look like a CE magnum or your BR look like the H2 BR.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree. If it were a big ass magnum like the CE one, sure, but it looks and sounds dinky. Same with the peashooter AR.

Guys lol

Read what I'm saying... again... slowly.

It would benefit with a better aesthetic and it does sound terrible. So more like a BR (skin) that is literally the pistol?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Also, if things don't change, do we prefer the 5SK pistol over the BR? 

It would benefit with a better aesthetic and it does sound terrible. So more like a BR (skin) that is literally the pistol?

Yes, exactly. Fuck even make the BR single shot for all I care, just let me use that amazing BR model. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well I guess thats just a personal oppinion, I really don't like 343's version of the BR

The pistol is actually the only weapon that has been improved visually since 343 took over.

Why is it so hard to get an actual utility pistol? That's problem one. Now if we did get one and we were forced to have other rifles on the map I would balance them by giving them high ttk's but get headshot bonuses. For instance the DMR is only a 5sk if all 5 shots are headshots. That makes the gun extremely niche in that if you aren't hitting headshots you will lose. Same with the CC and maybe the BR. That way the pistol is still the best utility weapon since it doesn't forge you to hit their head every shot. Just an option. Ideally I would remove all the rifles save maybe the LR

Also, if things don't change, do we prefer the 5SK pistol over the BR?

Yes, exactly. Fuck even make the BR single shot for all I care, just let me use that amazing BR model.

Okay I see what you mean that makes sense. I think that would help unify the community.

I think you should start with BR + pistol. AR and SMG should be weapons you pick up on the map and they should do more damage. Automatics should not be to OP, but worth picking up. At close range automatics should be almost a guaranteed kill against BR/DMR unless you make a 4 shot. Im OK with the pistol beining a 4sk, but please make it pistol only then and not AR starts. Why make H5 all about competitive and then make it AR start (AR start is way better than in the other games, but its just not as fun to watch as BR starts).

• Upvote (+1) 1

astetic preferences are all subjective and have no relevance to the topic at hand. stop with the waypointer arguments like "this looks better" or "my friends think so"

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

astetic preferences are all subjective and have no relevance to the topic at hand. stop with the waypointer arguments like "this looks better" or "my friends think so"

I think it's more a compromise between 2 stubborn parties. The pistol functionality with the BR design. It's a fair trade if it comes to that

This is mostly why I stop posting so much here.

I participate, state my opinion, and get called a Waypointer.

You guys seriously can't deal with differing opinions? It's a poll, not everybody is going to agree. I don't know why it's so hard for some of you not to be hostile. 

Well, first off I really feel that in competitive settings the AR has no place, so get that out of there. Secondly, I don't think the pistol should be a 4sk. Why would it be? The BR is fine being a 4sk and If i recall correctly the 5 shot pistol has a very similar TTK to the BR. I'm strongly against a 4sk pistol because I think it would be too powerful. If we get a 4sk pistol why don't we just get rid of the BR all together and make the pistol the primary weapon, give it a CE ranged scope? It just doesn't make sense to me. Now the pistol being a 5sk secondary makes sense to me. So my vote is for BR + Pistol.

You guys seriously can't deal with differing opinions? It's a poll, not everybody is going to agree. I don't know why it's so hard for some of you not to be hostile.

Dont worry about it bro popular opinion doesn't equal the right opinion. Just stick with what you want and push for it

Well, first off I really feel that in competitive settings the AR has no place, so get that out of there. Secondly, I don't think the pistol should be a 4sk. Why would it be? The BR is fine being a 4sk and If i recall correctly the 5 shot pistol has a very similar TTK to the BR. I'm strongly against a 4sk pistol because I think it would be too powerful. If we get a 4sk pistol why don't we just get rid of the BR all together and make the pistol the primary weapon, give it a CE ranged scope? It just doesn't make sense to me. Now the pistol being a 5sk secondary makes sense to me. So my vote is for BR + Pistol.

The problem is that the BR DMR and CC all fill the same niche as the pistol. That is MAJOR dilution. Ideally they wouldn't be in the competitive settings.

I honestly feel like the DMR and Carbine are useless weapons. Especially in competitive settings. DMR should have stayed in Reach and the Carbine should have stayed in H2. That's just my opinion though. I suppose it's fine if those guns are in the game for the lolz & casual stuff, but the truth is those guns just aren't relevant.

we're talking about competitive merit here, how the utility weapon looks has entirely no effect on the gameplay. it only comes into play when it blocks your screen so if anything, that's a plus for pistol starts

so arguing about how something looks when it comes to sprint is stupid, but when it comes to utility weapons all of sudden that's a valid reason to consider?

we're talking about competitive merit here, how the utility weapon looks has entirely no effect on the gameplay. it only comes into play when it blocks your screen so if anything, that's a plus for pistol starts

so arguing about how something looks when it comes to sprint is stupid, but when it comes to utility weapons all of sudden that's a valid reason to consider?

You understand there has to be wide/casual appeal as well right? Sure, it would be great if we're happy but what we want is always going to be widely popular and make the game successful.

I like the Cov. Carbine aesthetic the most... which is why I pick it up  :walshy:

The BR doesn't exactly have widespread appeal, based on all the waypoint threads devoted to bashing it.  :grunt: