TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

3/4sk Pistol + AR start. No DMRs or BRs on map. 

I only included that '3' in there because I really want to test that, people can escape so fast in this game I feel like a quick perfect kill time is more preferable and hopefully the pistol is hard enough to use where the average shot per kill is more like 4/5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to have to see some more game play from TOP Teams, but right now I would rather prefer BR/Pistol. I'm just not a huge fan of the AR. 

@@TheSimms Can you add loadout rifles DMR/BR/CC + secondary pistol? 

That would keep things interesting and add weapon variety to competitive matches. 

• Downvote (-1) 8

x-post from hcs thread

The thing I liked about Halo 1 is that every weapon had it's purpose for the most part:

Pistol - Mid-Range
AR - Up Close/Back up option
Sniper - Distance
Rockets - Up Close Domination
Nades - Killing/Weapon Movement
Plasma Rifle - Freeze/Stop Enemies

I hope to see this with Halo 5 again. I love the BR start as much as the next guy, but I'm willing to give H5 a fair shot with Pistol/AR start, we have to let the meta evolve first before we start forging the game into something else.

Imagine if we had Forge in Halo 2, would the Sword have been removed from Lockout? So many great tournament moments with just that weapon. Look at Walshy in Halo 3, he used the mauler to make the lift noise on Guardian to trick enemies so the team could flank. That's some examples of stuff I loved in past Halo game that I would love to see back. Competitive Halo gotten a bit stale in recent memory. Let's give it a fair chance to grow before arguing for change.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'd vote 4sk pistol/AR. But 4sk pistol only concerns me that it might negatively effect BR/DMR. Which is why I think the precision weapons as a whole need a slight buff. You could accomplish the same balance by nerfing the automatics (AR/SMG). But that will result in slower TTK, which I fundamentally disagree with in this game. I'm concerned slower TTK is what 343 wants though, and I don't trust them to balance this correctly.

Watching that gamescom gameplay it seemed like TTK with precision was very slow. With increased movement abilities I think they expected TTK to increase, but just the opposite occurs as people use it to avoid bullets.

I'd like to know what the average TTK & engagement with precisions are for the Pro team at 343 over a large sample size. I'd also like to see breakdown of the gamescom data as well.

Storm rifle doesn't have freeze in H5, does it?

Not that I know of, unfortunately.

Do you/anyone else think Pistol 4SK or increased RoF on its own is a viable option giving users the optional choice to grab BR/DMR/SMG etc etc how they feel fit as a secondary?

Given that you spawn with the pistol, from the competitive perspective it shouldn't function like a secondary. At present it has a very similar kill time to the rifles but is lacking in both aim assist range (ease of use) and more importantly as a detractor clip size (damage output). Rifles should IMO create their own niche through range / ease of use. I agree with 4sk because it's basically a way of increasing the potential damage output to 3 perfect kills whilst also differentiating itself to the rifles by having a notably quicker kill time.

There is a sweet spot between kill time and ease of use where players will sacrifice the potential of a quicker kill time for a slower kill time that is known to produce results more consistently (hence H4's light rifle not being picked up by pro players). At the moment it feels like the pistol is being forced into a secondary type role by taking away its potential (in this case literally damage potential) rather than making the rifles more appealing. The DMR in particular looked like a death machine even though it supposedly has the same kill time as the pistol.

The SMG is a different discussion all together insofar as it's basically a buffed up AR so it becomes a straight swap rather than sacrificing a precision weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Storm rifle doesn't have freeze in H5, does it?

Nope, but it kills incredibly fast.

4sk Pistol + AR.  No question.

Stop advocating to nerf any gun in this sandbox. We need powerful weapons.

There is nothing wrong with powerful autos however we need a stronger pistol to compensate. It needs to be so that if you died to an AR it's because they were right up close or the pistol guy missed shots. If the pistol guy hits shots then yes he should be rewarded for using a precision weapon but the AR should not be nerfed to the point where it's not rewarding to kill someone charging you with it.

This.

Ars need to have more spread and less aim assist, it's a good secondary niche weapon to a precision weapon like the (ideally 4sk) pistol.

They could speed up the fire rate of the 5sk pistol. This would still require the skill of landing all 5 shots but could beat a BR or auto. Personally I thought the H5 beta pistol was much much better. I constantly out skilled players with any weapon using the beta pistol. All it needed was a distance buff witch was said many times on different forums. I dont understand why the changed it so much. I like the pistol they have now but I think it fires to slow. 

I voted for AR + buffed Magnum.  There also needs to be more weapons on the map though.  From what I have read there were very few weapons on the map.  There needs to be more BRs, DMRs, Carbines and LRs on the map.  Just don't go overkill with adding weapons though.  Just add some

• Downvote (-1) 2

Stop advocating to nerf any gun in this sandbox. We need powerful weapons.

There is nothing wrong with powerful autos however we need a stronger pistol to compensate. It needs to be so that if you died to an AR it's because they were right up close or the pistol guy missed shots. If the pistol guy hits shots then yes he should be rewarded for using a precision weapon but the AR should not be nerfed to the point where it's not rewarding to kill someone charging you with it.

If you spawn with a powerful automatic weapon that can compete with the pistol you are rewarding someone who is using a low skill gun by letting them compete with another player just because they are in close range. The only reason the AR works in CE was because as an actual automatic weapon it blows.

With out of the box having to be the same as competitive (stupid) then u guess a good QR would be alright since the casual base will like it. But ideally I would remove the AR unless it did something like QQ or faster melee

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I voted for 4SK pistol but would also like it to be a little more effective at range as well.

I also wouldn't be opposed to going with BR and AR if the BR had a faster firing rate which brought its TTK to around 1.1 sec.

I didn't vote, you should add pistol only to the list.

My ideal start would be a weapon viable and decent enough to defend the player (pistol) until he/she picks up a niche weapon that is easier to use and more powerful than the pistol (BR, AR).

I didn't vote, first i would like yo see how the final build works for a couple weeks.

I think by week 2 the top teams will know a lot about the game so we can see what needs to be adjusted.

The key here, is 343 should be fast (1 month tops) to implement changes needed to the weapons. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

AR's ruin close quarters combat. Picked BR/Pistol

You clearly haven't played the good Halo game

You clearly haven't played the good Halo game

I think he means for Halo 5 specifically with the way the gun is. The disparity in ttk between CE's AR and magnum is much bigger than that of Halo 5.

I think he means for Halo 5 specifically with the way the gun is. The disparity in ttk between CE's AR and magnum is much bigger than that of Halo 5.

Thought he was talking about the AR in general. My bad.

Thought he was talking about the AR in general. My bad.

I am speaking on H5, but they did in 3 and 4 as well. H1 is the one time it worked.

I am speaking on H5, but they did in 3 and 4 as well. H1 is the one time it worked.

If the Magnum get's buffed to a 4SK, then the AR will not be a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 6

My personal opinion on automatic weapons: THEY DO NOT BELONG IN HCS.

This playlist is meant to have the largest skill gap, SMG/AR look very easy to use, too easy. If there were less powerful I would be fine with them, but the way things stand people will be picking them up over BRs/Pistols/DMRs/whatever.

Either 343 need to A) seriously nerf these weapons, or B ) do not put them in HCS settings

Either one works for me.

• Upvote (+1) 4