TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

Ok can we all agree on this, for the current build of Halo 5, for starting weapons

Pistol only > BR only.

So what is up for debate is the secondary.

1) no secondary

2) buff pistol with AR

3) different secondary

I disagree with that, I would much rather have BR start than Pistol start. A lot of the people who voted above feel the same way. I am not complaining just because of the AR I genuinely don't like the pistol either.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't see why the pistol can't satisfy the CQC and medium range categories being 4SK with reduced range and having a BR for longer range battles to start with. 

The AR is damn good and could still be viable as a map pickup. If not, you have the SMG as the go-to map pick-up auto that seriously shreds. 

Why are we still talking about 4sk pistol, how do we know we will get a 4sk pistol? Why aren't we discussing the best possible options with what we have that doesn't require a weapon tuning we don't know if we will get prior to the game's release?!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't see why the pistol can't satisfy the CQC and medium range categories being 4SK with reduced range and having a BR for longer range battles to start with. 

The AR is damn good and could still be viable as a map pickup. If not, you have the SMG as the go-to map pick-up auto that seriously shreds. 

I kinda like having the pistol as a more skilled/more powerful utility weapon in cqc, it would make for more skilled gunplay where players sit back with ARs and SMGs. 

I disagree with that, I would much rather have BR start than Pistol start. A lot of the people who voted above feel the same way. I am not complaining just because of the AR I genuinely don't like the pistol either.

ok that's valid. I like to know people's reasoning for preferring the BR over the pistol in its current state or even a 4sk pistol.

Before gamescom I was very 'competitive MUST have BR start' now I'm of the mind it must have Pistol starts to leave things like BR and SMGs as power/situational weapon choices for the users to pick up at thier discretion.

I think 100% Pistol only starts would also work but I think having that back pocket AR for utility is a great thing just for close combat and sticky situations but for sure it needs a nerf on power/range. I also love the idea of this 3 kills 1 clip idea from a 4SK setting, grabbing a triple kill with 1 clip should be as hard and skillfull as hitting 3 180's in a row in a game of darts. If we can make it even harder to aim to increase that gunskill gap and maybe slightly slow down the RoF to compensate for a 4SK setting I think Pistol + AR is without question the way forward and extremely balanced leaving the other weapons at users disposal to make use of how they see fit!

It also in thoery gives DMR/BR/SMG more purpose because it will give them a real need in certain maps and set ups and I'll look for people going to certain weapon/areas to lock down off the spawn. Kind of like how cod has AR/SMG players i think we'll see more individual play by players looking to secure a DMR and support/assist across map, grab SMG and lock down a certain area for defensive reasons. So much more diversity is going to open up imo.

AR for utility. kay

• Downvote (-1) 4

Why are we still talking about 4sk pistol, how do we know we will get a 4sk pistol? Why aren't we discussing the best possible options with what we have that doesn't require a weapon tuning we don't know if we will get prior to the game's release?!

we don't know. But a lot of the feedback we have given to 343 since the beta they have implemented...or at least tested

I voted BR....not because I don't think a buffed pistol + nerfed AR wouldn't work but because I don't see it happening. I truly do not see 343 making the pistol the utility weapon this forum wants it to be.

Thank you, everyone is voting for something for which there is no evidence to suggest will happen. Please remove that option until we know there is a chance that the Pistol will be further patched at all for launch. Then we will see where the votes fall. Right now a 4sk Pistol is the ultimate compromise and everyone realizes this and because of that people are voting for it, yet we don't even know if it will happen and right now it is up to any 343 member to guess whether the community would rather have AR&Pistol (no patch) or BR starts. Thus they will 100% go for AR&Pistol due to that bridging the gap between the casual and competitive communities. I don't think it's fair, but that's just me. I feel that it shouldn't be an option to vote for.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm feeling as if gun-play is going to be super convoluted post launch and if the pistol stays the same way cqc weapons like the smg, shotty and ar are going to dominate everything on maps like Empire. I'd agree with it being buffed to 4sk because it simply can't contest on maps with small corridors and a variety of contestable windows and alleyways at this point as a base utility.  

we don't know. But a lot of the feedback we have given to 343 since the beta they have implemented...or at least tested

It's less than 3 months until launch and we are talking about the starting weapons used in competitive for launch. Just switching the loadout will require a lot of effort and testing since they may realize that some gametypes then work better than others. Patching the weapon to a 4sk or changing its RoF will require so much more resources and testing.

I'm feeling as if gun-play is going to be super convoluted post launch and if the pistol stays the same way cqc weapons like the smg, shotty and ar are going to dominate everything on maps like Empire. I'd agree with it being buffed to 4sk because it simply can't contest on maps with small corridors and a variety of contestable windows and alleyways at this point as a base utility.  

Which is more easy to do, make the starting loadout BR start which is already a 4sk or doing a weapon tuning now less than 3 months from launch? 

Which is more easy to do, make the starting loadout BR start which is already a 4sk or doing a weapon tuning now less than 3 months from launch? 

I'd prefer having BR as a base utility but if I had to compromise I'd go with a 4sk pistol that's balanced with the other rifles but more effective in cqc.  

Even with the Pistol being a 5sk right now, it still kills faster than the BR, AND takes more skill. Using the BR as a starting weapon would be the LEAST competitive thing you could do. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Before gamescom I was very 'competitive MUST have BR start' now I'm of the mind it must have Pistol starts to leave things like BR and SMGs as power/situational weapon choices for the users to pick up at thier discretion.

I think 100% Pistol only starts would also work but I think having that back pocket AR for utility is a great thing just for close combat and sticky situations but for sure it needs a nerf on power/range. I also love the idea of this 3 kills 1 clip idea from a 4SK setting, grabbing a triple kill with 1 clip should be as hard and skillfull as hitting 3 180's in a row in a game of darts. If we can make it even harder to aim to increase that gunskill gap and maybe slightly slow down the RoF to compensate for a 4SK setting I think Pistol + AR is without question the way forward and extremely balanced leaving the other weapons at users disposal to make use of how they see fit!

It also in thoery gives DMR/BR/SMG more purpose because it will give them a real need in certain maps and set ups and I'll look for people going to certain weapon/areas to lock down off the spawn. Kind of like how cod has AR/SMG players i think we'll see more individual play by players looking to secure a DMR and support/assist across map, grab SMG and lock down a certain area for defensive reasons. So much more diversity is going to open up imo.

I hope you told 343 that  :holmes:

I think if the Pistol gets buffed to 4sk, the BR could use the 2-shot beatdown to differentiate it. So more of an all-around weapon, for pairing with a big power weapon. The CQC strength and easiness of the AR combined with the range and precision of the Pistol. Obviously weaker than both in their respective niches, but still would be a useful weapon. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

All autos need is to be harder to use.

Burst-firing needs to be a thing that you have to do if you want a quick kill time by making the gun pinpoint accurate. If you hold down the trigger longer than 2 or 3 shots then the bloom or recoil is instantly at CE levels of ridiculousness. Then add instant bloom or recoil reset rate and its about perfect. Would really fit the SMG. Imagine how the Gears of War 3 Retro Lancer firing mechanics work.

The AR could potentially work by acting like the XO16 Chaingun from Titanfall. Much weaker but laser accurate with zero spread at all ranges. Also gives it a utility by being versatile. For this work it would have to be a 19sk like Reach instead of the 12 or 13sk it is now.

Would be great if the autos were like this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ALSO the AR in this design could have headshot bonus damage due to zero spread so it would not break the game like it did in the beta. It being able to hit at all ranges inherently means it has to be a lot weaker.

This too.

I can kind of see that. I think that this would work for the AR especially as a spawn weapon. It would function as a weaker utility great for harassment and pinging, and could still have a decent killtime if you hit multiple headshots. Decreased AA of course. And it could have faster longer ranged melee, and quick powerup activation.

The casuals would get their AR, and us competitive types would get a different yet still somewhat skillful but not random option off spawn. And the Magnum would still kill quite a bit quicker.

It could be the win/win that Halo needs.

(Sigh) it is too bad ideas like this never make it to the devs...

Aaannd this as well.

Because they take no skill, yet have unlimited kills in them and kill times that contest the utility weapons at mid to close ranges.

You guys keep saying that but I don't think you understand what it means.

Are the AR and SMG easier to use than the Magnum? Yes.

Are they no-skill weapons? Of course not.

If they were, everybody would be using the Assault Rifle. Did that happen? No.

In the pro gameplay, the Magnum was used much more than the AR was, and said-AR was routinely swapped with niche and power weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd prefer having BR as a base utility but if I had to compromise I'd go with a 4sk pistol that's balanced with the other rifles but more effective in cqc.  

That is the same thought process of the majority, that makes perfect sense, but we made up the idea of a 4sk Pistol, we have no idea if that is possible. The compromise right now from our current standpoint has to be between AR&Pistol start and BR start because the BR is the most wanted start that doesn't require a weapon tuning or at least that is what I believe, but we can't know since 100s of votes are going towards something that we have no evidence to suggest will happen by launch. 

That is the same thought process of the majority, that makes perfect sense, but we made up the idea of a 4sk Pistol, we have no idea if that is possible. The compromise right now from our current standpoint has to be between AR&Pistol start and BR start because the BR is the most wanted start that doesn't require a weapon tuning or at least that is what I believe, but we can't know since 100s of votes are going towards something that we have no evidence to suggest will happen by launch. 

But the poll asked which one you would prefer... Why would you not pick it? IMO its the most viable option, and 343 has neither confirmed nor denied the possibility of speeding up the TTK of the pistol. Not letting them know how the majority feels would be hurting our chances of them changing it.

Even if it is not changed the pistol is still a better option for competitive play than the BR. It has a faster TTK and is harder to use.

we have no evidence of an option other than ar/pistol being considered by 343 so let's take away all those options as well /s

choosing a utility weapon shouldn't be a popularity contest. on paper, the pistol kills faster even at 5sk, requires more skill, and is single shot. even if 4sk doesn't happen at lauch it's still the better option.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ok can we all agree on this, for the current build of Halo 5, for starting weapons

Pistol only > BR only.

So what is up for debate is the secondary.

1) no secondary

2) buff pistol with AR

3) different secondary

No secondary, weapons on map and a healthy portion of them. 4 BRs or DMRs on red side, 4 on blue just in case. I say we at least test it and see which one is better

.....or just pistol starts (:

One problem with the BR however is that it's the weakest utility rifle and it takes the least skill to use.

Both the DMR and the Magnum trump it in kill time while being more difficult to use.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ridiculous how many want Pistol/AR starts. AR should never be in the starting weapons. Pistol only (not 4 shot) would be alright, but ultimately BR starts would and almost always have been the best way to start a competitive Halo match.

• Downvote (-1) 7

Ridiculous how many want Pistol/AR starts. AR should never be in the starting weapons. Pistol only (not 4 shot) would be alright, but ultimately BR starts would and almost always have been the best way to start a competitive Halo match.

BR starts and Competitive should not be in the same sentence.

• Upvote (+1) 3