TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

If pistol gets a buff to 4SK it will become a pretty decent starting weapon. BR and DMR would also need a buff so that there is reason to pick them up. Pistol needs to sound/look a bit stronger as well.

Nooooo the other rifles do not need a buff.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Nooooo the other rifles do not need a buff.

Why not?  There is no point having the pistol as the strongest precision weapon if it makes on-map pickups redundant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On maps with a lot of close quarters areas you can just roll around as a pair melting anyone who enters the room/hallway, which isn't competitive because takes no skill to aim

Just wanted to comment that I think this was a MAJOR reason for the shitty gameplay at gamescom. That Empire map plays horrible. Lots of narrow corridors + AR + OP shotgun + Sprint/Charge/Thrust makes this map really boring. Empire is a complete no go for competitive play from what I've seen so far. Unless they open up the sight lines, remove shotgun, or some other drastic changes. After settling down from how annoyed and negative I felt about the gameplay I saw I went back and watch some of the b-roll and other footage on different maps. It seemed to play much better. Part of me feels the AR won't be such an issue on better maps, I think we just saw a really bad combo of AR + OP Shotgun + Empire.

This guy has it figured out

I agree. I don't know how everyone feels, but I think the vast majority will say they want to see the TTK decreased, specifically for precision weapons (magnum/BR/DMR). Even what might seem like a minor change would make a world of difference (say something that is currently a 1.2 to 1). Would expect it to increase individual battles and less team shooting. I think a buff to the Pistol would be a good start, but still feel all precision weapons should be buffed slightly to give a larger separation between them and automatics.

I know some here will fight for BR to the end of time, even if the weapon ends up being the worst gun in the game, simply because it is what they are used to, but I just don't think it will help anything to make it a starting weapon. All I see happening is BR becomes a starting weapon because people want what they are used to, people complain it isn't powerful enough because it really isn't (and wasn't designed to be), after month of complaining it gets drastically buffed (4SK BR anyone?) making it the only weapon worth using, everyone is now starting with the only weapon they really need (magnum and DMR become useless) and we are back to "BR/Rockets/Sniper" over and over. The sandbox basically losses two guns and variety. I feel like I've seen this exact scenario play out before...

I'm sorry but I have never really enjoyed watching gameplay where there is ONLY ONE viable weapon (outside of the power weapons), and that is what Halo has felt like for some time now. I really don't see how variety is bad. I've read people making comments like "you don't know what the other player is going to have with all these precision weapons". Ok, and? As long as everyone has a rather equal opportunity to obtain from the variety of weapons, it is your fault if you show up to the wrong engagement (long/mid/close or whatever other factors might be at play) with a BR and some guy with a DMR wrecks you, or vice versa. Having the right weapon in a fight is a choice you have to make, no different then carrying a shotgun while someone BR's you across map. So I feel that argument is crazy, and if that was the case we would have to make everyone ALWAYS be carrying the same weapon so it was "fair" and that just seems boring as fuck.

And I realize this might not be a popular opinion and I might get negged for it, but whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why not? There is no point having the pistol as the strongest precision weapon if it makes on-map pickups redundant.

If a weapon on the map outclasses your utility weapon it shouldn't be there. The rifles should be easier to use alternatives to the pistol that are much weaker.

Just wanted to comment that I think this was a MAJOR reason for the shitty gameplay at gamescom. That Empire map plays horrible. Lots of narrow corridors + AR + OP shotgun + Sprint/Charge/Thrust makes this map really boring. Empire is a complete no go for competitive play from what I've seen so far. Unless they open up the sight lines, remove shotgun, or some other drastic changes. After settling down from how annoyed and negative I felt about the gameplay I saw I went back and watch some of the b-roll and other footage on different maps. It seemed to play much better. Part of me feels the AR won't be such an issue on better maps, I think we just saw a really bad combo of AR + OP Shotgun + Empire.

I agree. I don't know how everyone feels, but I think the vast majority will say they want to see the TTK decreased, specifically for precision weapons (magnum/BR/DMR). Even what might seem like a minor change would make a world of difference (say something that is currently a 1.2 to 1). Would expect it to increase individual battles and less team shooting. I think a buff to the Pistol would be a good start, but still feel all precision weapons should be buffed slightly to give a larger separation between them and automatics.

I know some here will fight for BR to the end of time, even if the weapon ends up being the worst gun in the game, simply because it is what they are used to, but I just don't think it will help anything to make it a starting weapon. All I see happening is BR becomes a starting weapon because people want what they are used to, people complain it isn't powerful enough because it really isn't (and wasn't designed to be), after month of complaining it gets drastically buffed (4SK BR anyone?) making it the only weapon worth using, everyone is now starting with the only weapon they really need (magnum and DMR become useless) and we are back to "BR/Rockets/Sniper" over and over. The sandbox basically losses two guns and variety. I feel like I've seen this exact scenario play out before...

I'm sorry but I have never really enjoyed watching gameplay where there is ONLY ONE viable weapon (outside of the power weapons), and that is what Halo has felt like for some time now. I really don't see how variety is bad. I've read people making comments like "you don't know what the other player is going to have with all these precision weapons". Ok, and? As long as everyone has a rather equal opportunity to obtain from the variety of weapons, it is your fault if you show up to the wrong engagement (long/mid/close or whatever other factors might be at play) with a BR and some guy with a DMR wrecks you, or vice versa. Having the right weapon in a fight is a choice you have to make, no different then carrying a shotgun while someone BR's you across map. So I feel that argument is crazy, and if that was the case we would have to make everyone ALWAYS be carrying the same weapon so it was "fair" and that just seems boring as fuck.

And I realize this might not be a popular opinion and I might get negged for it, but whatever.

Sorry if you want variety Halo isn't your game. Halo has NEVER been about variety.

Play customs if you want variety

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

What the hell has happened to the competitive halo community where they are now voting for AR's to be included as a starting weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What the hell has happened to the competitive halo community where they are now voting for AR's to be included as a starting weapon.

This is one of the few times where the AR isn't trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know I could easily destroy this with a bunch of halo 1 shit...but I won't. Every single gun in the sandbox has a chance to be used competitively as long as it works. I'll just leave it at that.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sorry if you want variety Halo isn't your game. Halo has NEVER been about variety.

Play customs if you want variety

lol, Halo isn't my game. I've played every Halo since CE released on day 1. Halo is one of the few games I actually bother with. But thanks for letting me know Halo isn't my game, Master of the Halo Universe. Good luck getting people to give a damn about Halo with a community of people like this. H2 had plenty of variety. Even CE had more then the shit now.

I got the solution everyone, just remove the entire sandbox except BR, Rockets, and Sniper. Good luck getting people to give a shit about Halo again with that.

• Upvote (+1) 7

lol, Halo isn't my game. I've played every Halo since CE released on day 1. Halo is one of the few games I actually bother with. But thanks for letting me know Halo isn't my game, Master of the Halo Universe. Good luck getting people to give a damn about Halo with a community of people like this. H2 had plenty of variety. Even CE had more then the shit now.

I got the solution everyone, just remove the entire sandbox except BR, Rockets, and Sniper. Good luck getting people to give a shit about Halo again with that.

If you played every Halo yet you want "variety" then you haven't played Halo competitively. Because competitive has NEVER had variety. It's been mainly utility weapons and power weapons.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You know I could easily destroy this with a bunch of halo 1 shit...but I won't. Every single gun in the sandbox has a chance to be used competitively as long as it works. I'll just leave it at that.

AR in Halo 1 didn't have zoom and The Pistol was the only precision weapon besides the sniper.

The sandbox was simple (in a good way) and different, Halo 5 is cluttered with 5 precision weapons plus the sniper.

The AR as it is now has no place in competitive settings.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What if the Pistol have two modes, default with low-mid range and 4sk and when you active the second mode it becomes 5sk with longer range.

"Every single gun in the sandbox has a chance to be used competitively as long as it works"

As of now it doesnt work. We will see if they tweak the pistol (which should be more than enough to make the AR work) and if they will tweak the AR as well.

What if the Pistol have two modes, default with low-mid range and 4sk and when you active the second mode it becomes 5sk with longer range.

Nah...too random

"Every single gun in the sandbox has a chance to be used competitively as long as it works"

As of now it doesnt work. We will see if they tweak the pistol (which should be more than enough to make the AR work) and if they will tweak the AR as well.

Nah...too random

Ok we are on the same page.

If you played every Halo yet you want "variety" then you haven't played Halo competitively. Because competitive has NEVER had variety. It's been mainly utility weapons and power weapons.

No, I never played in tournaments. I was in College when CE was being played. I had a job shortly after. Wasn't interested in making peanuts trying to break into competitive E-Sports when it wasn't even a "thing". I did however play very competitively while at College and in locally organized LAN's. I was most definitely that kid who brought a tube TV, OG XBox, and 100ft CAT5 cable to LAN. 2v2 on BattleCreek, Hang em' High, and Damnation was my thing. Occasional 16 player Blood Gulch as well.

Yes, I want a REAL sandbox of weapons in the game. Unlike so many people in this forum, I'm done comparing Halo to CE, 2, and 3. It has been 14 years since CE and I want something better. I don't want the same sandbox again. I want an expanded sandbox of weapons that all have a usefulness. And there is zero reason an AR and pistol can't fit into that. Removing them from the sandbox won't accomplish anything but put this game right back where it has been for the past few years; a boring, stale, rehash. 

Because you say so, right? What makes you so qualified exactly?

You know what, nevermind, I really don't give 2 shits. I've read you post the same thing 100 times already and couldn't care less. I'll ignore your posts, you can ignore mine. Cheers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No, I never played in tournaments. I was in College when CE was being played. I had a job shortly after. Wasn't interested in making peanuts trying to break into competitive E-Sports when it wasn't even a "thing". I did however play very competitively while at College and in locally organized LAN's. I was most definitely that kid who brought a tube TV, OG XBox, and 100ft CAT5 cable to LAN. 2v2 on BattleCreek, Hang em' High, and Damnation was my thing. Occasional 16 player Blood Gulch as well.

Yes, I want a REAL sandbox of weapons in the game. Unlike so many people in this forum, I'm done comparing Halo to CE, 2, and 3. It has been 14 years since CE and I want something better. I don't want the same sandbox again. I want an expanded sandbox of weapons that all have a usefulness. And there is zero reason an AR and piston can't fit into that. Removing them from the sandbox won't accomplish anything but put this game right back where it has been for the past few years; a boring, stale, rehash.

You know what, nevermind, I really don't give 2 shits. I've read you post the same thing 100 times already and couldn't care less. I'll ignore your posts, you can ignore mine. Cheers.

So YOU Want Halo to be some variety game because YOU like that? Lol sounds more like you want to change what Halo is. You said that's how all the game works and you want something new? PLAY ANOTHER GAME! Seriously you want Halo to be some other kind of game yet I'm the one who's wrong?

We have like 10 pages on why it shouldn't be in so just read that.

• Downvote (-1) 1

So if they toned down the auto aim and magnetism on the dmr would peoole have a problem with it then?

Don't remember it, but I was told that it is pretty hard to use now as it is.

Only because the rest of the sandbox was garbage when used in practice.

Yes, I want a REAL sandbox of weapons in the game. Unlike so many people in this forum, I'm done comparing Halo to CE, 2, and 3. It has been 14 years since CE and I want something better. I don't want the same sandbox again. I want an expanded sandbox of weapons that all have a usefulness. And there is zero reason an AR and pistol can't fit into that. Removing them from the sandbox won't accomplish anything but put this game right back where it has been for the past few years; a boring, stale, rehash.

This guy gets it.

@@TheSimms Can you add loadout rifles DMR/BR/CC + secondary pistol? 

That would keep things interesting and add weapon variety to competitive matches. 

Lo bunch of negs no quotes. I am disappoint. 

So YOU Want Halo to be some variety game because YOU like that? Lol sounds more like you want to change what Halo is. You said that's how all the game works and you want something new? PLAY ANOTHER GAME! Seriously you want Halo to be some other kind of game yet I'm the one who's wrong?

We have like 10 pages on why it shouldn't be in so just read that.

Hm? Hasn't Halo been a variety game for a while now?

For instance, we have both a Sniper Rifle and a Beam Rifle, both of which cover long range.

I don't see a problem in having multiple utility rifles so long as a map isn't covered head to toe in them, since that's poor map design, not a sign of a cluttered sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hm? Hasn't Halo been a variety game for a while now?

For instance, we have both a Sniper Rifle and a Beam Rifle, both of which cover long range.

I don't see a problem in having multiple utility rifles so long as a map isn't covered head to toe in them, since that's poor map design, not a sign of a cluttered sandbox.

The sandbox is already cluttered, which map design won't change. Halo has never been about variety for the sake of keeping things "fresh" that's what he is saying. Yes variety as in niche weapons that fill a role is great. Except Halo CE is the only game that has this right. That's why MLG settings have always been so different in other games. Variety as in different weapons that do different things is right. Variety as in 5 utility weapons, 3 automatic weapons and all that is not. Especially now with scopes guns are usable outside their intense range. Stuff like this creates Rock Paper Scissors gameplay and that is not what Halo has ever been about. In Halo CE how many times do you encounter someone who isn't holding either a utility weapon or a power weapon? Now watch te Halo 5 gameplay and you will see a difference immediately. Gun skill is being removed when guns just can't win in certain scenarios.

I also enjoyed playing week 1 of the H5 beta infinitely more than week 2 as well.

Movement was much more encouraged, and teams were naturally much more aggressive.

Also, I enjoyed the variety of combat scenarios that occurred due to the variety of weapons actually being viable and thus being used, without feeling defenseless off spawn either. I really felt like there was a bit of a meta regarding the ever so slight rock/paper/scissors/Magnum gameplay.

In week 2, I almost quit playing because just like every Halo game since H2, the meta devolves to uber passive, Sit-back-and-teamshoot-while-peakshooting slow paced gameplay, and I absolutely fucking DETEST that shit.

Despite having a BR and the Magnum, I felt much less powerful as a player, with much less opportunities to make individual plays due to the lack of weapon options available that BR starts inherently creates.

As a newer competitive player who enjoys playing Halo and making use of the opportunities created by more weapon variety by weapons that are actually useful, I constantly feel handicapped with the God damn BR/Rockets/Snipe meta that is just way too stale and lacking, as all my other individual play options vanish.

What sucks even more is, I feel like I am alone on this, and there are no other games out there they play even remotely similar to what the BR/Rockets/Snipe meta gameplay strips away.