TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

And I believe that we should fix what we can and keep pushing. The reason we aren't fighting sprint is because they already said we are stuck with all that stuff for at least the first season. After that it's up for discussion. So come season 2 you bet your ass we will fight for removal of that stuff.

Where did they say that, link me please. I really want to know if we might get no sprint one day. Back to the point, the game is less than 3 months away from release, considering last years release I don't think they are focusing their resources on further balancing the game for day 1. They may be working on balancing it for after that though, it's much easier for them to change a loadout than to change the damage, RoF and/or ammo per clip of a gun, especially this close to release.

Go back through and reread the chain of quotes for clarity.

Here's a short summary of it:

Slayer wants DMR Starts. I'm arguing that we should not have DMR Starts.

My argument is that the DMR is too easy to cross-snipe with, as evident with Reach. Slayer is arguing that it's fine because Halo CE and Halo 2 had the Magnum and BR, which both had very long range.

I'm refuting that argument by saying that the Halo CE Magnum had long range potential, but it was fine because it was difficult to cross snipe with, whereas the Halo 2 BR's cross-map sniping was acknowledged as a problem by Bungie, who did a horrible job at attempting to nerf its range in Halo 3.

All in all, I'm advocating Magnum Starts.

Then we good

While you guys are being idiots, I'd like to raise another point. I don't think we should throw the DMR under the bus just yet. just because things worked in previous games, doesn't mean they will in halo 5.

The difference between h5 and other games is the availability to move in/around, on/under things. Cover is much more available in h5 and the grounds are uneven all over the place. In the beta, the DMR magnetism was pretty low. I don't think we should throw the idea under the bus right away just because it didn't work previously.

Personally I think it's an idea worth adventuring, at LEAST.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

While I understand that they want to bridge the gap between the competitive and casual communities I don't see why they would make us use AR&Pistol start considering how much history the BR start has had throughout Halo 2, 3, 4 and now H2a. I much preferred playing BR starts in the Beta over the AR start. Who here who played the beta preferred the AR&Pistol over the BR starts in the Beta?

• Upvote (+1) 2

While you guys are being idiots, I'd like to raise another point. I don't think we should throw the DMR under the bus just yet. just because things worked in previous games, doesn't mean they will in halo 5.

The difference between h5 and other games is the availability to move in/around, on/under things. Cover is much more available in h5 and the grounds are uneven all over the place. In the beta, the DMR magnetism was pretty low. I don't think we should throw the idea under the bus right away just because it didn't work previously.

Personally I think it's an idea worth adventuring, at LEAST.

We already know what will happen. The DMR hasn't changed a while lot between Halo games.

Not only does it retain its 3x zoom and hit-scan bullets, its kill time is also faster than the BR's and identical to the current Magnum's, meaning that it has both CQC and long-ranged power.

Considering the armor abilities, having DMR Starts would be a repeat of Halo Reach.

While I understand that they want to bridge the gap between the competitive and casual communities I don't see why they would make us use AR&Pistol start considering how much history the BR start has had throughout Halo 2, 3, 4 and now H2a. I much preferred playing BR starts in the Beta over the AR start. Who here who played the beta preferred the AR&Pistol over the BR starts in the Beta?

I enjoyed AR Starts a lot more than BR Starts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We already know what will happen. The DMR hasn't changed a while lot between Halo games.

Not only does it retain its 3x zoom and hit-scan bullets, its kill time is also faster than the BR's and identical to the current Magnum's, meaning that it has both CQC and long-ranged power.

Considering the armor abilities, having DMR Starts would be a repeat of Halo Reach.

I enjoyed AR Starts a lot more than BR Starts.

That bewilders me but is nonetheless your opinion and I can't argue with it. I feel that DMR starts definitely aren't the way to go as neither the casual or the competitive community would want them. As far as personal preference goes though, I would rather play with the DMR than the Pistol but that's just me. I feel that BR starts would be great since I believe that people get games in Team Slayer and vote for games in Team Slayer where the starting weapon is a BR (Team BR's). People select that very often in casual playlists if not every time I play anyway.

First post on Beyond.  Woot.  

I like the way that AR/Pistol starts look right now.  I think the pistol has a ton of potential, especially if they buff the Rof or make it a 4sk.  I didn't like how much the AR was used during the invitational.  I don't mind having automatics being powerful in close range, but the pistol needs to be able to compete.  I saw some clips where SMG absolutely melted people at mid range.  That shouldn't be happening.  

I really don't want BR or DMR starts.  I just don't think the game plays well at all with those two weapons.  In the beta BR starts was some of the slowest paced halo I have ever played.  Me and my team were all ranked semi-pro (which we somehow got right out of our required 10 games to be ranked, and I'm not even that good at halo - IMO it shouldn't be so easy to get to semi-pro, but that's not for here)  so we were mostly matching teams who had thumbs.  A lot of matches barely hit the 50 kill mark before time ran out, and we had several games time out.  I feel like this was a combination of a few things, a hitscan BR with minimal spread and high bullet magnetism that shot cross map really hurt movement, and thruster/sprint making getaways very easy.  And then the DMR just felt like it was stupid easy to 5 shot people with because of the RRR.  

I honestly enjoyed the AR/Pistol start week in the beta much more than the others, and I couldn't' figure out why until I looked at some recorded matches and how much more aggressive teams were during the AR/Pistol week when most people were running around with pistols off spawn. And that was before the pistol got the slight buff.  People picked up BRs/DMRs very frequently in the beta because there were so many on the maps, but only having 2-3 people with those weapons at a time didn't seem to hurt movement horribly.   

• Upvote (+1) 3

You guys can feel free to neg me to hell for my last post, but I believe that halo5 game dynamics are more welcoming to a non-auto. I think that rifle only/pistol only start is the way to go. That rock/paper/scissor gameplay last weekend was intolerable.

The game and terrain and movement has changed, so I think every previously posted weapon deserves a fair chance to be reviewed as a starting weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You guys can feel free to neg me to hell for my last post, but I believe that halo5 game dynamics are more welcoming to a non-auto. I think that rifle only/pistol only start is the way to go. That rock/paper/scissor gameplay last weekend was intolerable.

The game and terrain and movement has changed, so I think every previously posted weapon deserves a fair chance to be reviewed as a starting weapon.

This is exactly what I was saying.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Think you got negged because you decided to refer to us as idiots, but regardless I agree I don't want AR's either. TBH I will scream if I ever die to an SMG when I am using a Pistol/BR and not missing my shots. Same goes for AR especially if it's a starting weapon.

One thing I do see becoming a problem is dual ARing people. Me and a few mates used to do it in competitive custom games in Halo 4 for a laugh. On maps with a lot of close quarters areas you can just roll around as a pair melting anyone who enters the room/hallway, which isn't competitive because takes no skill to aim, yet was extremely viable to the point that people were threatening to boot us for using them. I'm just afraid dual ARing in tight spaces will become the go-to as it is a very fast and a much more consistent kill (the higher percentage play).

The gun fights I always enjoy the most are with precision weapons in close quarters, but not so close that melees are involved. They are so three dimensional; a player can strafe or jump off your screen in half a second which makes it take a lot of skill to keep up and land the shots, just feels so intense! Getting an out-BR/DMR/Pistol in that situation is always so satisfying....but now it will just be sprayfests

• Upvote (+1) 5

Right now there are 101 votes for AR and Pistol that we don't know where would fall if it was confirmed that the AR and Pistol would not go through specific weapon tunings which haven't been announced, confirmed, denied or even publically acknowledged by 343i yet to the best of my knowledge.

Just wanted to quote that I'm right there with you. The debate occurring is based on the, in my opinion, overly confident assumption that the pistol will be buffed to a 4sk, when we have nothing to base that off of. I just don't see 343 being so willing to do that. I'm not ruling it out though.

I thought we were passed the debate on the effects of weapons and map movement, the actual map design effects map movement way more than starting weapons do.  That said I'm totally for a 4sk pistol, if it stays the way it is however I'd rather see something like DMR starts because it does way more to empower players from what we've seen so far.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So if they toned down the auto aim and magnetism on the dmr would peoole have a problem with it then?

Stop advocating to nerf any gun in this sandbox. We need powerful weapons.

There is nothing wrong with powerful autos however we need a stronger pistol to compensate. It needs to be so that if you died to an AR it's because they were right up close or the pistol guy missed shots. If the pistol guy hits shots then yes he should be rewarded for using a precision weapon but the AR should not be nerfed to the point where it's not rewarding to kill someone charging you with it.

This guy has it figured out

So if they toned down the auto aim and magnetism on the dmr would peoole have a problem with it then?

It doesn't change the fact that it has a 3x zoom, hit-scan bullets, and a very fast TTK.

It doesn't change the fact that it has a 3x zoom, hit-scan bullets, and a very fast TTK.

It pretty much has the same TTK as the pistol, as of right now it's a straight upgrade

3x zoom is not ideal.

One thing I do see becoming a problem is dual ARing people. Me and a few mates used to do it in competitive custom games in Halo 4 for a laugh. On maps with a lot of close quarters areas you can just roll around as a pair melting anyone who enters the room/hallway, which isn't competitive because takes no skill to aim, yet was extremely viable to the point that people were threatening to boot us for using them. I'm just afraid dual ARing in tight spaces will become the go-to as it is a very fast and a much more consistent kill (the higher percentage play).

The gun fights I always enjoy the most are with precision weapons in close quarters, but not so close that melees are involved. They are so three dimensional; a player can strafe or jump off your screen in half a second which makes it take a lot of skill to keep up and land the shots, just feels so intense! Getting an out-BR/DMR/Pistol in that situation is always so satisfying....but now it will just be sprayfests

Exactly what I'm worried about, and we saw it playing out in the H5 invitational. It is not fun whatsoever to get into a mid range AR duel (even if you come out on top), and it is even worse to watch it happen in a big tournament. The pistol desperately needs to be a 4sk so people will risk missing a shot with it over just whipping out the safe AR that can now compete with precision weapons even at mid range. If the pistol is 4sk, I think people would stick with it over the AR in mid-range (even close range) gun fights without even having to nerf the AR too much, making for much more interesting duels (to play and watch)

• Upvote (+1) 2

All of the guns being discussed are hitscan... I'm still baffled by the percentage of the community that has no clue what that word means.

Fast kill times are a good thing. Especially if they tone down the AA and Magnetism.

3x zoom is irrelevant to me personally, I guess some people don't like it because it's not 2x, but it's not that big of a deal.

And for the deciding vote: It has a more ideal clips size (compared to the magnum). In the hypothetical scenario that DMR gets an AA/Magnetism nerf, DMR > Pistol.

Can someone break down all the options into pros and cons?  I wanna be a little more informed about the choices before I vote.

I would love for 343 to stream a Pro team match and literally play matches with these different weapon settings for us to see how they play out. Have a couple gametypes with 4sk pistol/AR, some BR only etc. To see how the games play out differently.

I think it would help the community come to a better general consensus on starting weapons.

We saw what not having a fast ttk looked like this weekend and it was bad. If they are gonna keep automatics we need faster killing wepaons. Plus the pistols is hit scan too so whats the difference? Thr only thing people could gripe about would be the 3x scope but they would get used to it eventually.

If pistol gets a buff to 4SK it will become a pretty decent starting weapon.  BR and DMR would also need a buff so that there is reason to pick them up.  Pistol needs to sound/look a bit stronger as well.