TheSimms

Halo 5: Guardians eSports/Arena Weapon Starts Poll

Arena Starting Weapons (constructive post gamescom thread)  

850 members have voted

1. 1. Exports/Arena Starting Weapon Choices

• Pistol + AR
    • Pistol + AR (AR nerfed)
    • Pistol + AR (Pistol patched to 4SK)
    • BR + Pistol
    • BR only
    • BR + AR
    • BR + AR (AR nerfed)
    • DMR Only / With AR (Is it viable over any of the above?)
    • Pistol Only

I voted BR + Pistol because BR is my personal preference of weapon/look

but I really wouldn't mind a pistol that is a 4sk with AR as long as the game doesn't become an AR fest (With the pistol being 4sk I don't think that would happen).

AR pistol starts would also be nice since it would be consistent among playlist. I could play the 'team slayer' playlist and not worry about not getting BR starts. 

I could just pull out a pistol and wreck. 

Part of me wants BR starts as that's what Halo has been for me but another part of me wants AR/Pistol (4 shot) to also be it. And with 343 leaning towards AR/Pistol starts why not buff the pistol. It would solve a lot of problems honestly. I believe it could be a good thing for casual and competitive players alike. Allowing casuals to ease into competitive play easier and allowing competitive players more consistency across playlist and better 'out of the box' settings everyone wishes for. 

Now after writing all of that I am second guessing myself on choosing BR starts. I think I'd rather AR/Pistol starts as long as the pistol is buffed.

EDIT: I actually deleted my vote and chose 4 shot pistol starts :D 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Pistol / AR with either the pistol buffed to 4sk or an increased clip size.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I voted for BR/pistol starts, wouldn't mind seeing a 4sk pistol as well. Although I really dislike AR starts of any kind, the AR made a lot of the encounters during the invitational tournament really dull and not exciting to watch at all. With less automatics on the map/in players' hands I believe the gameplay would be much more exciting to watch and less chaotic without all the spray and pray.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with everybody saying that many AR encounters make a game boring to watch but IMO making using the pistol more viable is the better way than banning AR's!

Either make it a 4sk or faster ROF+bigger clip!

AR/Magnum with the pistol buffed to a 4sk.

The current RoF on the Magnum is very good for Halo's pacing, and it's difficult enough that perfect kills are rare. Unfortunately as a 5sk the difficulty delta between it and the AR is a bit too high, giving the AR a more significant advantage up close than its relative ease of use deserves.

Pushing the pistol's damage up to a 4sk would still give the AR an advantage over it in close quarters, but having one more shot's worth of leeway would serve to reduce the likelihood of AR vs Magnum battles appearing to be determined almost entirely by the engagement range.

Additionally a 4sk Magnum would not infringe upon the other rifles for the following reasons:
DMR and Light Rifle - These both significantly out-range the pistol with a 3x zoom compared to the handgun's 1.5x magnification. The DMR is significantly easier to land shots with at any range than the pistol, so it having a slower kill time is fine as it prevents DMR players from being the most damaging and effective at range.

The Light Rifle on the other hand is a slower 4sk than the pistol when unscoped but ups to a powerful 3sk when scoped. It's finicky to use up close but at range can be contested thanks to descope.

Battle Rifle  - The BR has a standard 2x zoom and avoids being invalidated by a 4sk pistol thanks to being easier to use at close range and easier to finish kills with thanks to the ability to swipe a burst back on target. It would fill a role as being a more accurate and headshot capable alternative to the AR for close range battles whilst retaining great synergy with teamshooting thanks to its superior clean up potential (this is another reason I think the weapon works well as a pickup but shouldn't be the spawning weapon; burst fire inherently makes it easier to pick off headshots on weakened players which directly reduces the outplay potential for a weaker player who encounters a healthier one). It doesn't appear to be particularly consistent at range however despite its stronger scope. Going off on a bit of a tangent I wouldn't mind seeing the magnification levels of the BR and Magnum switched, because from what I've seen the BR appears to be the more effective close range weapon of the two.

Carbine - We haven't seen much Carbine footage yet, but what I have seen makes it out to be a fast and perfectly accurate alternative to the BR. If the pistol receives a buff I would suggest reducing the shots to kill on the Carbine by 1 also. Perhaps it's due to the limited footage of it, but I haven't really seen anything that I'd want changing with this weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would prefer Magnum-only spawns, but that isn't an option. I went with 4SK Magnum + AR just because I also want that weapon buffed a tiny bit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I went with AR+Pistol (with a buff)

I'm on board with making the pistol a 4sk and I think the AR should come into play when you start missing shots with the pistol.

So if the pistol takes 6/7 shots to kill without a headshot, the AR should kill at around that 6/7 shot mark (by this I mean within close quarters). It shouldn't become useless against the pistol/rifles which is what I'm worried a lot of people want.

Then you just slide everything in to line with that. Rifles get a slight buff, automatics don't exactly get a nerf. They just get positioned to be more useful in close combat where aiming is more difficult.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The automatics are too strong. Increase pistol ROF to where it was in the beta and leave it at 5sk for potential shooting skill gap.

Prevalence of rifles on map is too damn low!

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

AR+Pistol (4SK buff) for multiple reasons

1) The automatics are very strong (which is good). But evident by the Gamescon Invitational, the gameplay boiled down to running around with the AR, Shotty or SMG. Which was boring to watch. So the pistol, and in turn the other precision weapons need a slight buff so they are effective against the automatics. In Halo you always want to spawn with a utility weapon that is useful against ALL weapons. Even against the sniper and rockets in the hands of a great player.

2) H5 introduces a lot more movement options and brings back a faster strafe so a faster killing primary utility weapon is needed. Having a 4sk pistol that is hard to use, and and ideal killing time around 0.9-1.0 sec is ideal. But the averages killing time being 1.5-1.6 seconds (or longer).

3) The map designs in H5 have a lot of clutter and escape paths, so most of the pistol duels (which are exciting to watch) ended up being 2-3 shots, then thrusting behind cover. Then sprinting around trying to find the guy to clean up.

4) it keeps universal setting among the casual and competitive playlists.

5) the rifles are still viable map pickups. BR has ease of use/range/headshot. DMR and Light rifle have long range and speed.

I am sure there are more, but I haven't had my morning coffee yet

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pistol / AR with either the pistol buffed to 4sk or an increased clip size.

Do you/anyone else think Pistol 4SK or increased RoF on its own is a viable option giving users the optional choice to grab BR/DMR/SMG etc etc how they feel fit as a secondary?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4sk pistol (or quicker RoF) + BR OR pistol only. automatics have a far more niche role than other franchises because the automatics in halo aren't worth anything in competitive play due to their lack of precision and range, only way to make them useful in the sandbox is to make them strong (overly so).

nerfing automatics would be far more detrimental to attracting casuals as it will affect the default slayer playlist too and their enjoyment with them. for our settings all we need to do is give automatics a place on the map as pick-ups and be done with them. Also really out of all of us here and everyone we play with, were any of you interested in using automatics when trying to get into competitive play? off spawn, is it for viability or appeasement? it isn't an anomaly why nearly all competitive players don't like halo automatics in competitive play. Even the CE AR an off-spawn weapon is used very sparingly.

4sk pistol (or quicker RoF) + AR is also an option, but do we really care that much about automatics? We wouldn't be ditching sandbox uniformity by simply only spawning with a precision weapon, that part has always been clear. Chopping and changing power weapons, movement and gravity from the default (because the default was poorly balanced and not fit for competitive play) has been the dividing line for all the casual players i've played with and talked to on forums.

I guess a question is can they make default slayer be pistol spawn with AR secondary and then make competitive be Pistol only spawn?

Would that outcome cause less fuss from a casual audience? As you spawn with a pistol across the board. The only difference is in default you have a secondary and in competitive you don't.

A big issue here as well is the fact that the BR and DMR suck. No need to pick them up. Buff them (increase RoF) along with the 4sk pistol Buff and the AR will be much less viable.

AR/Pistol starts would then be acceptable in my opinion.

• Downvote (-1) 3

I voted BR because its my favourite gun but the pistol in H5 would be a close second. I just dont want the AR/SMG to be abused. 

I vote for AR/Pistol but increase the RoF for the pistol. Leave it 5sk. I think a 4sk will make the BR/DMR obsolete.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you/anyone else think Pistol 4SK or increased RoF on its own is a viable option giving users the optional choice to grab BR/DMR/SMG etc etc how they feel fit as a secondary?

Viable? Yes. 

Personally, I sort of like having an auto in my back-pocket off spawn - good for finishing off kills or defending yourself in CQC, especially if your base is being swamped by enemies. 

But as it is right now, the autos are a bit too strong compared to the Pistol - a 4sk Pistol would fix this imbalance, and more bloom/recoil/spread on the SMG to make it harder to use. 

Did not vote. I still think the starting weapons should coincide with the map. This would create much more diversity in competitive Halo. Empire small map small sight lines would be pistol starts. Fathom is bigger with more sight lines would be BR starts. Any map bigger then that could be DMR starts. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1