Sign in to follow this  
Shekkles

Halo 5: Guardians, the ultimate Pro and Con thread.

Well it's now July 30th, 2015 and the game still doesn't work. Does that mean that today would have been too aggressive of a release date too?

343 simply doesn't have the talent to make the game. The deadline could have been 6 months or 6 years. It would still be broken. And that's why people are terrified of Halo 5.

On Topic: I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that no LAN support is Microsoft's fault. The Gears of War announcement suggests that all we had to do to get LAN support was to........ask. Apparently 343 couldn't be troubled to think of that possibility.

Don't people realize that MCC was outsourced? I thought this was common knowledge by now. 343 had what? Interns do the UI or something from what I heard? 

On Topic: I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that no LAN support is Microsoft's fault. The Gears of War announcement suggests that all we had to do to get LAN support was to........ask. Apparently 343 couldn't be troubled to think of that possibility.

link. 

If there is any legacy bonuses, I imagine they'll be announced around mid September, probably around the same time the achievements will be released.

The last game the company released didn't work. That is definitely a con for their new title. I feel it's very relevant. 

I think the con isn't that the last game didn't work, but that they show all the signs of never fixing it, just waiting out the clock to turn their backs on paying fans, their attitude of not caring about their paying customers - the attitude is the con for me.

now you went and got me all negative again...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pros for Halo 5:

- Dedicated Servers for all multiplayer games, all the time.

- No P2P connections. At all.

Cons for Halo 5:

- No LAN support. This is Xbox's fault, but it's still a massive con.

Uh, you just contradicted yourself.

Having ONLY dedicated servers is a fucking awful idea.

Having no options for P2P networking is completely stupid.

LAN support can't exist without P2P network capabilities. How do you think LAN works?

Cons:

(Not sure if this was changed since the beta)

• Weapons are timed for you.
  • Weapon timers give away enemy positions.
  • Weapon times remove the ability to deny the enemy information.

Pros:

• At least the game will probably be better than Halo 4 and possibly Halo Reach.
  • The reticle is in the middle of the screen.

Cons:

(Not sure if this was changed since the beta)

• Weapons are timed for you.
  • Weapon timers give away enemy positions.

This was a hot debate leading into the beta. Just look at Halo: CE - a game without in-game timers. If the game doesn't provide them, most people will just create timer apps for phones, computers, etc. 

As for timers giving away enemy positions, its as simple as showing the weapon timer for incoming, announce it has spawned and remove the HUD widget for it 5-10 seconds are it has spawned. Don't make it vanish based on if it's picked up by someone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This was a hot debate leading into the beta. Just look at Halo: CE - a game without in-game timers. If the game doesn't provide them, most people will just create timer apps for phones, computers, etc. 

As for timers giving away enemy positions, its as simple as showing the weapon timer for incoming, announce it has spawned and remove the HUD widget for it 5-10 seconds are it has spawned. Don't make it vanish based on if it's picked up by someone.

Yeah I agree! I think if they had a timer by your score that does not go away whenever someone picks it up the power weapon then that would solve all of the issues.

Except you can't really use timers unless you know the time the enemy picked up the weapon.

The reason people use timers in Halo 1 is because there's no in game clock. The times are easy as hell to remember, it's just the clock people want.

In Halo 5 I can watch a sniper rifle disappear off spawn from the other side of the map and then pre-nade the entrances and get a free kill.

How is that a good thing? I shouldn't be given information on exactly WHEN the enemy picks up a weapon and WHERE they are. That's completely shit game design.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Uh, you just contradicted yourself.

Having ONLY dedicated servers is a fucking awful idea.

Having no options for P2P networking is completely stupid.

LAN support can't exist without P2P network capabilities. How do you think LAN works?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6140/creating_dedicated_pc_servers_for_.php?print=1

Same will probably be done for Halo 5 as well. However, Halo 5 should have a PC-based map editor and script editor as well.

Except you can't really use timers unless you know the time the enemy picked up the weapon.

The reason people use timers in Halo 1 is because there's no in game clock. The times are easy as hell to remember, it's just the clock people want.

In Halo 5 I can watch a sniper rifle disappear off spawn from the other side of the map and then pre-nade the entrances and get a free kill.

How is that a good thing? I shouldn't be given information on exactly WHEN the enemy picks up a weapon and WHERE they are. That's completely shit game design.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean with the sniper situation. I was thinking they could put a timer that tells you when it spawns and that is it so they can have there little timer there but not make it game breaking.

Pros:

Based on the beta, the netcode will probably be good.

Game looks pretty.

It'll probably have lots of content.

Cons:

Took much flair (everything glows) and too many gimmicks (thrusters, pounding, fancy scope).

ADD gameplay (too many noises and medals, kills are too easy)

Power weapons aren't that important anymore (all of the weapons feel pretty strong).

This is looking to be a game designed to be easy to be good at. Even if you took out sprint and the gimmicks, it'll still be more in the vein of COD than Bungie's Halos.

If it works, good for those who find its type of gameplay fun. But if I want to play a flashy, twitchy shooter, I'll stick with Unreal Tournament, which is inherently hardcore.

BTW, Microsoft and 343 took a shit on the entire pre-Halo 4 fanbase with MCC. They lied both implicitly and explicitly about its features, made a profit with the launch money, then abandoned it. The only reason I haven't sold my Xbone is because I prefer playing The Elder Scrolls on console, and VI probably won't be on Nintendo NX (I've never liked the PlayStation controller).

Yeah, I could sell it then buy a used one later, but I just don't feel like going through the trouble...

You do realize that power weapons in Halo 5 are on a static timer right? Just like how weapons and power-ups are on static timers in Halo CE. For a example, in Halo 5 if the rockets are on a 120 second timer than it's going to spawn every two minutes of the game no matter what. So if a game is 15 min long and the rockets spawn every two min than you will see it spawn at 13 min, 11 min, 9 min, so on and so for. It doesn't matter when a player picks it up or drops it because it will spawn at a set interval time no matter what. There is no player manipulation with the power weapon timers in Halo 5 like there is in Halo 2 and Halo 3 so you can't deny your opponent of knowing when a power weapon such as the rockets are going to spawn.

Yes people use timers in Halo CE because there is no in game clock but even if there was a in game clock I guarantee that players like myself would still use a timer with audio cues. In Halo CE power-ups and power weapons spawn so frequently(power-ups spawn every 60 seconds and rockets spawn every 120 seconds on most maps) that if there was a visual in game clock it would become very tedious for players to constantly look at it. I prefer using a audio timer of some sort that reminds me that a important item(s) are about to spawn. The skill doesn't come from remembering the time for the power-ups and power weapons the skill comes from challenging your opponent for them and knowing how to get them before your opponent does.

Here's a video of Halo 1 final game play that has a built in audio game timer that announces every 10 seconds that goes by, also after every 20 seconds of the game that goes by it announces what minute is about to come up next so players know what rotation of power-ups/power weapons that they are on. When it gets to the last 10 second mark of every minute the timer starts counting down every second and then it announces the minute that the game is on. It's similar to having a in game clock but there are audio cues instead of visual cues reminding players of the time. IMO having a in game clock for Halo 1 with no audio cues and only visual cues would become very distracting for players to try to constantly look at. I prefer having audio cues over visual cues. BTW on Chillout the sniper spawns every 30 seconds, OS spawns every 60 seconds, and rockets and camo spawns every two minutes. Just letting you know before you watch the video.

I agree that having visual cues of players picking up power-ups/power weapons can become a problem. IMO the audio timer for power-ups and power weapons spawning needs to stay and the visual cue of them being picked up by players needs to go.

Pro- The ranking system is bad ass

The ranking system was ass...

Placement matches are cancer.

was matching iron/bronze derptards while searching semi-pro.

As for the topic,

Con: It's made by 343.

Pro: It's not made by Bungie.

Pro- The ranking system could be good.

Con- The ranking system unfortunately was bad in the beta.

I'm not sure if this was intended but with the ranking system h5 had in the beta you could literally get to the pro rank in 20 games or less. The ranking system needs to be vastly more difficult to where the top 2% or less should be in the "Pro" ranking.

Currently in league of legends only .2% of people in north america are in the "Challenger" rank which is the equivalent of "Pro" ranking in halo 5

Here are the current stats of the league ranking system. With the percentage being the amount of players in that division.

cc906eb55eee272f9c62abd1db4c7a26.png

Halo 5 really should resemble something like this in terms of ranking but the scale will be much lower obviously. 

• Upvote (+1) 3