Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

• Please log in to reply
142798 replies to this topic

#142776   -DeucEy-

-DeucEy-

• 1,870 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Voting - Terrible. If you’ve played Halo Reach or The 4, you’d understand why. You play the same two maps constantly. This is a popularity contest.

Veto - Godlike. You didn’t have to play AR Snowbounds and can opt for a better game type, yet, it’s also random. Giving MM variety as opposed to voting.

Checklist - Also sounds like a good idea. Would also really help in the event your team really wants to practice a focused selection of maps.

Random / No Voting Options - In Halo 2, everyone just did the leave lobby glitch. In Halo 5 #QuitTheBuild.

There’s a specific reason people hold the H3 veto system in such high regards. It’s literally a solution to terrible map/gametype combinations.

#142777   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,296 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:13 PM

POPULAR

Hardy said there was no OS effect in CE because it encouraged people to actually shoot the player instead of running away.  Normally when you see an OS glow you turn and run. 

​I suppose a good middle ground would be that a player would look normal but when you shot him his shield flare would be green or something.

#142778   Moa

Moa

🙄

• Premium

• 17,956 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Has Josh Menke made any comments about the veto system? It's pretty clear to me that playing Haven a large number of times with H4's voting was not ideal, just like playing Orion more than a single time in H5 is also not ideal.

Think he said it's something to look into for future projects, not viable for H5.

EDIT: Veto that is, not map voting.

#142779   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,314 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

You know what I love? Hearing the screams of "VETO, VETO YOU FUCKING IDIOTS" following by "WHAT THE FUCK I CANT BELIEVE YOU DIDNT VETO", before every match I play.

With regard to pregame conversation, wouldn't it be better if the game just picked the map so that other things could be discussed there instead?

You know what I love? Reading posts of "If you have any arguments, condense them down to easily digestible bits" following by "Stop Crying", before every idiotic idea you post.

With regard to H5 conversation, wouldn't it be better if you posted "creative ideas" on waypoint so that other things could be discussed here instead?

#142780   Mhunterjr

Mhunterjr

• 2,456 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

Hardy said there was no OS effect in CE because it encouraged people to actually shoot the player instead of running away. Normally when you see an OS glow you turn and run.
​I suppose a good middle ground would be that a player would look normal but when you shot him his shield flare would be green or something.

when I see that glow. I try to melt that shit.

#142781   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,296 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:50 PM

when I see that glow. I try to melt that shit.

You are alpha male then.  Most boyos players are not.

#142782   QuietMan

QuietMan

• 2,314 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:13 PM

I try to melt it too, and if I die, at least I know for a certain they had OS and I did my duty as a team member trying to melt it.  Shields reacting different colors when OS is being depleted works too and it doesn't nerf OS by making you a target as much.  

#142783   Boyo

Boyo

• 288 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:13 PM

wouldn't it be better if you posted "creative ideas" on waypoint so that other things could be discussed here instead?

Is that what you want? To be surrounded only by people who think just like you do? No dissenting opinions. Just sit here and circle jerk in your echo chamber while you parrot your herd mentality groupthink back and forth to each other, plus repping your substanceless posts?

#142784   OG Nick

OG Nick

Aspiring Game Designer

• 1,049 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Is that what you want? To be surrounded only by people who think just like you do? No dissenting opinions. Just sit here and circle jerk in your echo chamber while you parrot your herd mentality groupthink back and forth to each other, plus repping your substanceless posts?

I want you to keep posting so that I can eventually post reaction gifs for plus rep. Not that I agree with any of the ideas all too much but they're not the worst things I've seen.

#142785   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,027 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Has Josh Menke made any comments about the veto system? It's pretty clear to me that playing Haven a large number of times with H4's voting was not ideal, just like playing Orion more than a single time in H5 is also not ideal.

Yeah, not H5 but sounds like its  strong possibility for Halo 6.

There are lots of dissenting opinions around here.  I have gotten in arguments with many many different people here about gametypes and the merits of weapons, gametypes etc.  shit that is actually good about H5, shit that is bad, what should stay, what should go, etc etc etc. but generally both sides had a set of logical reasoning to work with.

We dont have a problem with you throwing out hair-brained ideas and seeing what people think of them.  But it is a huge problem when people make very logical counter arguments that you basically ignore, ask people to "make you bullet pointed lists" like you are their angry boss that "don't have time for that", act like you are smarter and better than other people here, then start calling people whiny children and telling them to fuck themselves.  All just because you feel like your intelligence is threatened or something.

You are not "Gods Gift to Man". Get over yourself.

#142786   Boyo

Boyo

• 288 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:39 PM

I ignore things sometimes because you guys say a lot of dumb shit that doesn't warrant a response. "You should be able to pick up power ups if someone dies with it." If somebody dies with Overshield, that means the Overshield is gone. What the fuck are you going to be picking up?

#142787   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 3,514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:07 PM

Searching time and map loading time should be a player's time off. Have a snack, talk to your girlfriend, take a piss. If you have issues with the map/gametype selection then take that up with the developer. Petition to have it removed. Don't force me to give up my precious few seconds of down time because you don't like certain maps/game types.

Wild idea incoming:

Instead of denying everyone the chance to veto bad map/gametypes so that you can go pee, how about you take some personal responsibility and back out of the search?

#142788   Boyo

Boyo

• 288 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Wild idea incoming:

Instead of denying everyone the chance to veto bad map/gametypes so that you can go pee, how about you take some personal responsibility and back out of the search?

This really isn't a big deal to me. It's just that I personally believe the game should serve players a map/gametype without any choice or action from them. All I know is that I need to start playing when I hear beep beep beep.

This avoids favoritism and gives all maps in the playlist a fair shot to be played. If you don't want to play AR starts, you shouldn't be searching in a playlist with AR starts. If there is no playlist with precision weapon starts, then that is a problem with playlist management, not a reason to allow players to avoid certain maps.

#142789   ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• 682 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 PM

POPULAR

Searching time and map loading time should be a player's time off. Have a snack, talk to your girlfriend, take a piss. If you have issues with the map/gametype selection then take that up with the developer. Petition to have it removed. Don't force me to give up my precious few seconds of down time because you don't like certain maps/game types.

What the fuck. YOU ARE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME

YOU ARE ALREADY IN YOUR DOWN TIME

THATS THE FUCKING POINT OF A VIDEO GAME.

VETO IS ONE

FUCKING

BUTTON

PRESS

YOU CAN DO THAT AND TALK AT THE SAME TIME

YOU CAN DO THAT WHILE STANDING UP TO GO TAKE A PISS

YOU CAN EAT WITH ONE HAND AND PRESS THE BUTTON WITH THE OTHER

#142790   Mhunterjr

Mhunterjr

• 2,456 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:21 PM

I ignore things sometimes because you guys say a lot of dumb shit that doesn't warrant a response. "You should be able to pick up power ups if someone dies with it." If somebody dies with Overshield, that means the Overshield is gone. What the fuck are you going to be picking up?

The remaining overshield - if the powerup is tweaked exhaused by time inuse instead of damage taken.

You also have backsmacks which kill users without depleting their OS.

This really isn't a big deal to me. It's just that I personally believe the game should serve players a map/gametype without any choice or action from them. All I know is that I need to start playing when I hear beep beep beep.

This avoids favoritism and gives all maps in the playlist a fair shot to be played. If you don't want to play AR starts, you shouldn't be searching in a playlist with AR starts. If there is no playlist with precision weapon starts, then that is a problem with playlist management, not a reason to allow players to avoid certain maps.

Veto doesn't allow you to avoid specific maps. At best they allow you delay it being selected for you. Just because you veto a map you don't like, doesn't mean that the system won't select another map you don't like.

The benefit of the system is that the dev gets a large pool of data to determine how the community feels about specific gametypes.

#142791   Boyo

Boyo

• 288 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:25 PM

You also have backsmacks which kill users without depleting their OS.

That is actually an interesting idea. Backsmack a power up user to steal their power up.

#142792   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 3,514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 PM

I do agree that that garbage shouldn't be an issue this late in Halo's life, but somehow it is. I remember I was actually excited that H5 didn't have a voting system when I first heard about it. After two games of voting for the same map every time it came up, I was over it. And I also knew I wouldn't have to worry about AR/SMG starts anymore so I figured we'd be fine, and I was excited for players to be forced to learn everything instead of having a kneejerk reaction to avoid certain maps.

Then Overgrowth, Riptide, Torque and Tyrant came out...

#142793   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 3,514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:40 PM

As for dropping powerups when you die, I loved it in Quake 4 when I was playing the shit out of that back in the day. Few things were more satisfying than owning the Quad Damage guy and then using it on him. I don't see why that's so bad. There's already a precedence for it in other games and it works fine. The mere fact that it eliminates burned powerups should be enough to garner support for it.

As for an OS solution, how about this? OS fills your shield up to 1 extra layer, continuously. It also cuts your shield recharge delay in half, so your shields are almost always coming back up.

This doesn't reset fights.

It's totally feasible to straight up beat the OS player in a fight.

It allows a smart player to get more use out of it.

It's droppable.

It's weak enough that it can spawn frequently.

@Deez

#142794   Boyo

Boyo

• 288 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:51 PM

@Hard Way

I think it would be kinda cheap if OS recharged, too many free passes. Plus that would make it so powerful that the respawn timer would have to be long.

I would prefer a single layer OS that doesn't decay and have it respawning on a very short timer. Smaller advantage but quicker respawn time. Quicker spawning power ups means more map movement.

If it's droppable, do you have to press a button to pick it up or just touch it? What physics does it have? If you kill an enemy, will the dropped power up roll right into his teammate who now has a power up he didn't earn? I just think it adds a lot of complexity for very little reward.

I really like the idea of only backsmacks stealing power ups. Nothing is dropped. Nothing needs to be picked up. The power up is instantly transferred to the player upon backsmacking his target. Simple, effective, intuitive.

#142795   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 3,514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 PM

@Hard Way

I think it would be kinda cheap if OS recharged, too many free passes. Plus that would make it so powerful that the respawn timer would have to be long.

I would prefer a single layer OS that doesn't decay and have it respawning on a very short timer. Smaller advantage but quicker respawn time. Quicker spawning power ups means more map movement.

If it's droppable, do you have to press a button to pick it up or just touch it? What physics does it have? If you kill an enemy, will the dropped power up roll right into his teammate who now has a power up he didn't earn? I just think it adds a lot of complexity for very little reward.

I really like the idea of only backsmacks stealing power ups. Nothing is dropped. Nothing needs to be picked up. The power up is instantly transferred to player upon backsmacking his target. Simple, effective, intuitive.

Holding a button to pick up powerups needs to die in a fire. Instant pickup is perfectly fine, especially if you're not given invulnerability.

In Quake 4 the powerup was like an anchor that plummeted straight to the ground and didn't move. That's how it should be.

Yes, recharging OS would be strong, but the single layer (aka 4 shots), lack of invulnerability, and still needing to actually disengage and allow to recharge keeps it in check.  I think your idea for OS would be fantastic for 1v1 and 2v2 for the reasons you mentioned, and mine would be perfect for 4v4. It allows a player to tank a little bit and make a game changing play, it allows him to do it more than once if he's careful, and its absolutely counterable with a little sustained focus and aggression. The fact that players NEED to push him when he gets weak is half the powerup.

#142796   Boyo

Boyo

• 288 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM

The fact that players NEED to push him when he gets weak is half the powerup.

I can dig it. Maybe make the rate at which the OS layer recharges slower than normal so he can't just pop into cover for a few seconds and come out with a fresh OS.

#142797   QuietMan

QuietMan

• 2,314 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 PM

It was honestly just a joke. Lol

#142798   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,066 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:20 PM

Design a workaround?  Like have the Overshield drop with what it would've been based on the time it's been in play instead of the damage it's received.

I.e. Overshield has been in play long enough for it to decay to 1.5x shields.  I kill someone who's using it.  The powerup drops for me with 1.5x shields.

That is essentially how powerups were handled in Quake.  If you kill someone with Quad damage who had eight seconds remaining then it would be eight seconds remaining when you picked it up.

At the very least I don't see why you couldn't apply that to other powerups in Halo like Camo, where taking damage has no relation to their meter.

Edit:  Guess I'm late to the party yet again.

#142799   Basu

Basu

• 1,538 posts

Posted Today, 04:14 AM

As for dropping powerups when you die, I loved it in Quake 4 when I was playing the shit out of that back in the day. Few things were more satisfying than owning the Quad Damage guy and then using it on him. I don't see why that's so bad. There's already a precedence for it in other games and it works fine. The mere fact that it eliminates burned powerups should be enough to garner support for it.

As for an OS solution, how about this? OS fills your shield up to 1 extra layer, continuously. It also cuts your shield recharge delay in half, so your shields are almost always coming back up.

This doesn't reset fights.

It's totally feasible to straight up beat the OS player in a fight.

It allows a smart player to get more use out of it.

It's droppable.

It's weak enough that it can spawn frequently.

@Deez

Great idea, the only problem is that as someone metioned before: With the current OS players can be as aggressive as possible and have to if they want to get the most out of it, whereas with your version it becomes more of a "challenge fight, pop back into cover, rinse and repeat" powerup.

I totally dig the fact that this makes OS droppable though. Having droppable OS, Camo, Speedboost/Haste and the Vampirism powerup @MultiLockOn suggested would be dope.