Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

• Please log in to reply
140145 replies to this topic

#46201   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Super Fruit

• Premium

• 6,257 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Uuuhhhhh... They can. Did we even watch the same video?

"Downward". They're upside-down.

#46202   FLuFFy

FLuFFy

• 5,304 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

I am thoroughly enjoying this.

giphy.gif

#46203   S0UL FLAME

S0UL FLAME

• 1,194 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

Guess we gotta be overly critical about cutscenes too.

Alright folks, let me know when your anger for portraying Spartans in another light fades. It's bothersome.

#46204   VinFTW

VinFTW

• 6,355 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

I think some of you guys are missing the point of the criticism here. That trailer is, 1) tonally dissonant with the rest of the series, 2) thematically vacant, and 3) disingenuous with respect to gameplay.

1. Everything we've ever learned about the Chief points to him being an individual with limited capabilities that perserveres through willpower, not superpower. Cortana even tells us that his most blessed attribute is luck. Fucking luck. Many times we see Chief barely making it out alive of a situation, and we even see him get injured. He is not a character embodying a power fantasy, he's not Conan the Barbarian. He's also not Superman, a person with limitless power/potential that struggles with personal crisis because of it. Now, people have said that we should wait until the game comes out to judge the relationship between Osiris and Blue Team, as there could be a kind of contrast between Osiris' technological superiority and the vastly greater battle prowess of Blue Team. So tell me, then...

2. ...Why absoutely none of that has been talked up thus far in all the Halo 5 media we've been handed, this trailer included? The release of this game is very close, and not one time have we been treated to any material that presents that conflict as the focus of either the story itself or the relationship between the two squads. In terms of hype for the Halo storyline, this trailer is completely vacuous. As has been previously stated, this is the Transformers 2 of game trailers. The tension between Osiris and Blue Team, and the philosophical quagmire that could feasibly surround it, should be a main selling point of the Halo campaign. If it was there, why is it not being pushed? Probably because it's not there...and expecting people to be impressed with this trailer for the mere depiction of gameplay is asinine because...

3. ...This trailer is not gameplay-honest. It's not...it's not, it's fucking NOT. It's not going to be like this. You are not going to have that kind of power, because not only will enemies actually be shooting at you, you do not have the kind of mobility that they demonstrate here. You can't superjump, you very likely are not going to have any destructible environments to blow through, and you are not going to drop anything in one shot with your main weapon except a grunt. It's not going to be like that, so why the hell should I get pumped by something I know I'm not going to get to experience? The only thing that is going to change the gameplay in the least is the addition of Spartan-specific loadouts in campaign, and even then, it's exactly the same as getting a supply drop and splitting the weapons between you and your friends.

1) Team osirus is not Chief. New spartans, new suits. /end

2) I'm actually SUPER glad we've seen barely anything of the Chief's side. I want that to be a surprise. These are the new guys. We KNOW chief, hell, we even know Linda, Fred and Kelly more than we know any of these other people (besides Buck). I'm glad they're showing them off and introducing us to them right. Not like other games where characters come and go in hours. This is the OPENING cinematic. Things change dramatically over the course of movies, books, games, etc from their opening to their end. Expecting this to be the ENTIRETY OF HALO 5's themes, tones or overall story precedents is ludicrous. We've seen some of the tension that could coalesce throughout the game. We saw the poster, the initial Halo 5 reveal, and some hints via the ViDoc. I expect some black and white, back and forth to be there. Have a little fun with it. This is something new, something exciting, something NOT Chief related. There is room for two spartan teams, you have to respect and differentiate between them. 

3) Who cares if it's not game-fucking-play-fucking-honest? Are we SERIOUSLY going to fucking harp on this shit NOW? After all the shit we've seen chief do throughout the Halo games? I CAN spartan charge a jackal or elite and possibly kill them. There are alternate destructible paths you can go through with spartan charge in the game previously shown. I can one shot grunts, fire off my smg, shotgun some fools, ground pound a group of bad guys, sprint down a hill or w/e. Sure, it's not going to be in the same vein but it's still not out of the realm of possibility. I mean, it's just a cutscene dude, it's amped up, it's for show and hype. It's to get your blood going. I never sat there and complained that I never got to punch a whole through a fucking covenant cruiser because I saw it in a cutscene. You need to loosen up a bit. If the game irritates you THIS badly then why even bother following it? You seem SO irritated with everything they/Halo 5 does. It's just no the game for you dude. It's just not. 

#46205   Mr Grim

Mr Grim

a nugget of blubber

• 5,345 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

Guess we gotta be overly critical about cutscenes too.

Alright folks, let me know when your anger for portraying Spartans in another light fades. It's bothersome.

it's only really antithetical if your basis is mc from ce-3. The books have talked about what Spartans can do on their own, all the trailer did was give them more to work with in terms of technology. It's certainly different tonally to the games, but why is that a bad thing if it's not far off compared to the extended media?

#46206   TM22

TM22

• 280 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

I think some of you guys are missing the point of the criticism here. That trailer is, 1) tonally dissonant with the rest of the series, 2) thematically vacant, and 3) disingenuous with respect to gameplay.

1. Everything we've ever learned about the Chief points to him being an individual with limited capabilities that perserveres through willpower, not superpower. Cortana even tells us that his most blessed attribute is luck. Fucking luck. Many times we see Chief barely making it out alive of a situation, and we even see him get injured. He is not a character embodying a power fantasy, he's not Conan the Barbarian. He's also not Superman, a person with limitless power/potential that struggles with personal crisis because of it. Now, people have said that we should wait until the game comes out to judge the relationship between Osiris and Blue Team, as there could be a kind of contrast between Osiris' technological superiority and the vastly greater battle prowess of Blue Team. So tell me, then...

2. ...Why absoutely none of that has been talked up thus far in all the Halo 5 media we've been handed, this trailer included? The release of this game is very close, and not one time have we been treated to any material that presents that conflict as the focus of either the story itself or the relationship between the two squads. In terms of hype for the Halo storyline this trailer is completely vacuous, and as has been previously stated, this is the Transformers 2 of game trailers. The tension between Osiris and Blue Team, and the philosophical quagmire that could feasibly surround it, should be a main selling point of the Halo campaign. If it was there, why is it not being pushed? Probably because it's not there...and expecting people to be impressed with this trailer for the mere depiction of gameplay is asinine because...

3. ...This trailer is not gameplay-honest. It's not...it's not, it's fucking NOT. It's not going to be like this. You are not going to have that kind of power, because not only will enemies actually be shooting at you, you do not have the kind of mobility that they demonstrate here. You can't superjump, you very likely are not going to have any destructible environments to blow through, and you are not going to drop anything in one shot with your main weapon except a grunt. It's not going to be like that, so why the hell should I get pumped by something I know I'm not going to get to experience? The only thing that is going to change the gameplay in the least is the addition of Spartan-specific loadouts in campaign, and even then, it's exactly the same as getting a supply drop and splitting the weapons between you and your friends.

Of course Blue Team and Osiris are going to have weaknesses. There wouldn't be ANY story if our hereos didn't have weaknesses. They even mention that in that 12 minute vidoc. You keep on talking about Master Chief but who we're seeing here is Osiris. 343 have even stated that they are almost complete opposite characters than our beloved MC and even Blue Team. What if Osiris is the kind of team who goes balls out and doesn't really care about strategy and cooperativeness while Blue Team is a lot more smart and reserved when it comes to taking on multiple enemies? You can't really talk about thematically vacant when we're judging an ACTION sequence. I'm sure we will get a boatload of foreshadowing and the start of actual character arcs when the prologue happens.

We are going to have destructible environments to Spartan charge. We even had that in Warzone gameplay, so I don't know why 343 wouldn't add any situations where that happens. And I didn't see anything in the trailer drop from a couple of BR shots. Halo has had multiple instances where they showed things in cutscenes/trailers where things we'rent possible in the games, so y'all just gotta settle down.

#46207   Humpflung

Humpflung

"He's going to get us arrested" MATCLAN -2016

• Premium

• 2,499 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

I would like to point out that we're fighting about irrelevant campaign stuff that has never mattered and should have been stripped out of the game back in 2001. Can we focus on gameplay now?  

it's only really antithetical if your basis is mc from ce-3. The books have talked about what Spartans can do on their own, all the trailer did was give them more to work with in terms of technology. It's certainly different tonally to the games, but why is that a bad thing if it's not far off compared to the extended media?

Because there are ZERO people in this world that started playing Halo expecting this crap. I never ever EVER ONCE wanted to see this happen to this franchise. We would be so much bigger and further ahead with this franchise had 343 pulled a bungie and ignore the expanded universe crap. To them it was GAME > LORE! HOW IT ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN! ( Exnay the fact bungie took a fat shit on the franchise with Reach because they didn't give a fuck anymore )

#46208   StaticGnome

StaticGnome

• 415 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

let's be honest... this is an open forum, anyone can say whatever they want.

Lol no

#46209   VinFTW

VinFTW

• 6,355 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

I would like to point out that we're fighting about irrelevant campaign stuff that has never mattered and should have been stripped out of the game back in 2001. Can we focus on gameplay now?  

I'm gonna be honest:

Where THE FUCK are all the Arena gameplay videos?

343 pls

#46210   StaticGnome

StaticGnome

• 415 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

I'm gonna be honest:

Where THE FUCK are all the Arena gameplay videos?

343 pls

Haven't you seen the latest PAX IGN footage :kappa:

#46211   VinFTW

VinFTW

• 6,355 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Haven't you seen the latest PAX IGN footage :kappa:

It was GameSpot and holy fuck it made my eyes bleed.

Worse. Player. Ever.

We need some 343 pro team 60fps b-roll footage on these new maps. 

#46212   RyanW

RyanW

• 5,632 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

Worse. Player. Ever.

That last sentence makes me feel like we've become spoiled

#46213   VinFTW

VinFTW

• 6,355 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

That last sentence makes me feel like we've become spoiled

I feel like maybe you're right but also that it's such missed potential for advertising. 

I mean, seeing players REALLY take advantage of the new systems and dominate their opponents would make it look so fresh, exciting and most importantly, FUN. 

Plus we need more 60fps footage of this game. I'm tired of the trailers being 30fps. 

#46214   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Super Fruit

• Premium

• 6,257 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

Of course Blue Team and Osiris are going to have weaknesses. There wouldn't be ANY story if our hereos didn't have weaknesses. They even mention that in that 12 minute vidoc. You keep on talking about Master Chief but who we're seeing here is Osiris. 343 have even stated that they are almost complete opposite characters than our beloved MC and even Blue Team. What if Osiris is the kind of team who goes balls out and doesn't really care about strategy and cooperativeness while Blue Team is a lot more smart and reserved when it comes to taking on multiple enemies? You can't really talk about thematically vacant when we're judging an ACTION sequence. I'm sure we will get a boatload of foreshadowing and the start of actual character arcs when the prologue happens.

It goes right back to what Nomini said earlier in the thread, they are setting Osiris up for a moronic deus ex machina later in the game. This trailer suggests they are unstoppable, and playing it off as "this is just a pump-up trailer" is a cop-out.

We are going to have destructible environments to Spartan charge. We even had that in Warzone gameplay, so I don't know why 343 wouldn't add any situations where that happens.

What in the world was destructible by running into it in warzone?

Halo has had multiple instances where they showed things in cutscenes/trailers where things we'rent possible in the games, so y'all just gotta settle down.

Then I reserve my right to yawn at this trailer.

#46215   Vetoed

Vetoed

• 3,647 posts

you very likely are not going to have any destructible environments to blow through

As a matter of fact, I want to point out 343 is going to fully immerse Halo 5's players by planning the campaign routes with a few destructible walls to access "new" routes.

How's that?  :kappa:

#46216   Lazer

Lazer

• 1,968 posts

Worse. Player. Ever.

You should see the montage of spartan 198470918ht9832t7 w/e

#46217   Humpflung

Humpflung

"He's going to get us arrested" MATCLAN -2016

• Premium

• 2,499 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

Lol I predict a few people on here probably play with the Halo MegaBlocks man. Extended media FTW  :kappa:

#46218   Goat

Goat

• 1,673 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

The difference between Chief and Team Avengers is that Chief plays on Legendary and does all of that on its own. These guys are obviously scrubbing up on Easy difficulty.  :kappa:

#46219   VinFTW

VinFTW

• 6,355 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

It goes right back to what Nomini said earlier in the thread, they are setting Osiris up for a moronic deus ex machina later in the game. This trailer suggests they are unstoppable, and playing it off as "this is just a pump-up trailer" is a cop-out.

What in the world was destructible by running into it in warzone?

Then I reserve my right to yawn at this trailer.

Vent's on the A.R.C. map and some walls in campaign footage from the ViDoc.

As per your yawn statement, yes you do, of course. Just get your facts straight :P

#46220   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Super Fruit

• Premium

• 6,257 posts

2) I'm actually SUPER glad we've seen barely anything of the Chief's side. I want that to be a surprise. These are the new guys. We KNOW chief, hell, we even know Linda, Fred and Kelly more than we know any of these other people (besides Buck). I'm glad they're showing them off and introducing us to them right. Not like other games where characters come and go in hours. This is the OPENING cinematic. Things change dramatically over the course of movies, books, games, etc from their opening to their end. Expecting this to be the ENTIRETY OF HALO 5's themes, tones or overall story precedents is ludicrous. We've seen some of the tension that could coalesce throughout the game. We saw the poster, the initial Halo 5 reveal, and some hints via the ViDoc. I expect some black and white, back and forth to be there. Have a little fun with it. This is something new, something exciting, something NOT Chief related. There is room for two spartan teams, you have to respect and differentiate between them.

I'll bet my XB1 it doesn't happen.

Which isn't saying much, but hey.  

3) Who cares if it's not game-fucking-play-fucking-honest? Are we SERIOUSLY going to fucking harp on this shit NOW? After all the shit we've seen chief do throughout the Halo games? I CAN spartan charge a jackal or elite and possibly kill them. There are alternate destructible paths you can go through with spartan charge in the game previously shown. I can one shot grunts, fire off my smg, shotgun some fools, ground pound a group of bad guys, sprint down a hill or w/e. Sure, it's not going to be in the same vein but it's still not out of the realm of possibility. I mean, it's just a cutscene dude, it's amped up, it's for show and hype. It's to get your blood going. I never sat there and complained that I never got to punch a whole through a fucking covenant cruiser because I saw it in a cutscene. You need to loosen up a bit. If the game irritates you THIS badly then why even bother following it? You seem SO irritated with everything they/Halo 5 does. It's just no the game for you dude. It's just not.

Knocking a perforated door down =/= "destructible environment"

And I'll just say here that I'm not worried about the campaign...because I predict that the campaign is going to meet the exact same standards that it always has. No less, and no more.

#46221   TM22

TM22

• 280 posts

The difference between Chief and Team Avengers is that Chief plays on Legendary and does all of that on its own. These guys are obviously scrubbing up on Easy difficulty.  :kappa:

Exactly. I rest my case. Chief does LASO

#46222   Goat

Goat

• 1,673 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

Exactly. I rest my case. Chief does LASO

Yea. Has nobody played Easy before? You can run through the game blindfolded. Also, this is 343 we're talking about. Their Elite AI in Halo 4 was dumb as fuck even on Legendary. 

#46223   DatOutBRDoe

DatOutBRDoe

• 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

Looks nothing like the Power Rangers.

The armors look like Power Ranger super villains.

#46224   VinFTW

VinFTW

• 6,355 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

I'll bet my XB1 it doesn't happen.

Which isn't saying much, but hey.  

Knocking a perforated door down =/= "destructible environment"

And I'll just say here that I'm not worried about the campaign...because I predict that the campaign is going to meet the exact same standards that it always has. No less, and no more.

I don't want you to be right. I AM giving them the benefit of the doubt, sure, but I trust they know how to make Chief feel like classic, dark themed Halo and Osirus feel like new, epic halo. I want my classic theme and dark tones when I play as chief with the occasional epic ass scene/battle here and there and my "revelatory" Chief is a good guy let's stop hunting him down moment from Locke. Or w/e. Blue Team is seasoned, refined, calculated and bad-ass. They KNOW IT. I want that. I also want Lockes team to know what they're up against and at the same time kick some ass (because it would be cool considering we play as both). I worded this badly, hopefully you know what I mean, if not I'll explain some more.

The only destructible environment they smashed through was a rock, which is what they smash through in the campaign footage we saw in the ViDoc. As far as everything else crumbling, that happens all the time around the player in cutscenes or not. 

#46225   DatOutBRDoe

DatOutBRDoe

• 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

No, I was meaning the one with MC, Kelly, and Fred.

-edit-

How the hell do I embed this? The media tag isn't working for me.

-edit 2-

Nevermind. It was supposed to start at 6:30, so fast forward to there. It's literally Blue Team sprinting and slaying bodies.

"Oh, but it's not in a game, so it doesn't count". Yeah? Well, you don't move nearly as fast in any Halo game as the H5 cinematic shows Osiris. Sodd off.

The difference between the two teams in these two videos? One team has the momentum from dropping down to send them speeding through enemy lines, the other is just flat out sprinting. One team is causing chaos, but not necessarily killing everything, while the other team is.

But again, the Osiris video is Halo 5, so we must shit on it.

I like using this video when ever a #immersion kiddie says "Spartans should be able to sprint" and I hit them with the "Faster Base Player Speed Master Race."