Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MS acquires GoW IP, Black Tusk taking over GoW development

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1   EagleBurn

EagleBurn

"Arena"

• VIP

• 6,261 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

http://news.xbox.com...os-gears-of-war

MS also hired the GoW series producer, Rob Fergusson.

The thing we showed at E3 last year [Black Tusks trailer], it was something that was done in Unreal and more of a concept piece.

From their site
6pEF9UX.jpg

I have to say that I'm disappointed that Black Tusk isn't working on a new IP. I'm glad the GoW franchise is getting a reboot, but they need to do exactly what we've been asking of 343 if they want the series to become "big" again.

#2   amo819

amo819

Scalzo Sucks

• 8,693 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Does this actually mean Black Tusk isn't working on a new IP? From what I know they're a fairly large studio and it seems like this is just going to be another project for them. 

I'd be surprised if they were just scrapping the other game to completely focus on this. Who knows until we have more information though. 

#3   RyanW

RyanW

• 5,640 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Make a game to help launch a console. Continue on it's success and make a trilogy. Made a prequel game in which nobody enjoys. Have all kinds of media for your franchise(books , comics, etc...). Then hand over the keys to MS. Have the game development led by someone that was established in the franchise. All so the original dev can move on and make new games.....

#4   MetaNigh7

MetaNigh7

• 238 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

One word to describe my feelings as a long term GOW player: apprehensive 

#5   Emptiiness

Emptiiness

• 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hope its better than Judgment. Also from how the third game ended I don't see where the story can go.

#6   FLuFFy

FLuFFy

• 5,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

At least its not EA or Disney

#7   TYPOGRAPH1C

TYPOGRAPH1C

• 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

One word to describe my feelings as a long term GOW player: apprehensive 

Oh yea Meta... can't help but feel apprehensive. I will NOT hype this game one bit. I'd rather them pleasantly surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I would of rather it be developed by Epic but released as a multi-plat. Why? Meta and I know that the competitive community on a good day is MAYBE 500 people. What it desperately needs is GROWTH. Even if it were released on Playstation, any idea of this game being played competitively on PS4 would be thrown out of the window if it went to MLG, as they're entirely Xbox and PC based now. The upside to it being on PS4 would be a certain increase in community growth, and you'd have less games fighting for attention on just Xbox. Xbox has CoD, Titanfall, a new Halo planned, and now ANOTHER GoW... too many hands in the cookie jar when it comes to possible competitive titles. Somebody will get the short straw... and regardless of how bad Halo 5 could potentially be, that short straw (even with the current strength of the GoW community & upcoming events like #HypeWB8) would still be handed to Gears. People don't play it because it's a harder transition as it's not very easy to pick. It's a joy once you learn it, but gamers who possess the will power to get their butts kicked time after time again when they could achieve "instant-success" on a game like CoD are few and far between these days. That's just my opinion.

Regardless, this is great news that Gears will at least have life on Xbox One. Every loyal GoW fan was more than worried, that's for sure.

- TYPØ

#8   EagleBurn

EagleBurn

"Arena"

• VIP

• 6,261 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Hope its better than Judgment. Also from how the third game ended I don't see where the story can go.

The Pendulum Wars, but it's human vs. human and no Locusts. Locusts to GoW is like the Covenant to Halo, so they might come up with a way to bring the Locusts back.

#9   joshchief117

joshchief117

• 497 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I am excited for the campaign

#10   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,236 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Nice, Xbox wouldn't be the same without Halo and GoW <3

Black Tusk has alot to prove, but at least Gears fans have something to be excited about now.

#11   JaeTM

JaeTM

• 478 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

How was the Campaign for Judgement? I used to love the Gears series, mainly for the MP but the Campaign was always a joy to play. Is it worth picking up for the story if I can find it pretty cheap?

#12   CoachMayyne

CoachMayyne

• 2,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Black Tusk Studios is only a 30min Drive from my house. #SaveGears 

#13   ssj

ssj

• 2,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Another Gears game? Great.. Been done with the series since the 2nd game.

What happened to that new IP Black Tusk was making?

All I know is, I'm not impressed.

How was the Campaign for Judgement? I used to love the Gears series, mainly for the MP but the Campaign was always a joy to play. Is it worth picking up for the story if I can find it pretty cheap?

I was the opposite. Played for the campaign. Played the MP when I was a noob to XBL, but when the 2nd game came out I realized GoW MP is bunk.

#14   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,146 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

Make a game to help launch a console. Continue on it's success and make a trilogy. Made a prequel game in which nobody enjoys. Have all kinds of media for your franchise(books , comics, etc...). Then hand over the keys to MS. Have the game development led by someone that was established in the franchise. All so the original dev can move on and make new games.....

where have I heard this story before...

#15   TYPOGRAPH1C

TYPOGRAPH1C

• 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Played the MP when I was a noob to XBL, but when the 2nd game came out I realized GoW MP is bunk.

GoW 2 was the worst, no denying that. You could literally ROLL places quicker than you could run. #failfish

Gears 3 on the other hand is an entirely different animal. It plays much smoother overall, and is a huge advancement from what you may remember in 2008. The biggest let down from a competitive standpoint is that the game is a lot more rifle focused. Trust me, I could dive into tons of other tiny reasons why the game isn't perfect... but I wouldn't want to bore you. If you can't shotgun, you can always whip out a rifle and do work. Clutching a 1v4 used to be possible in GoW1, but the only time that happens in GoW3 is if the people you're playing in pubs are brainless. Any smart player/team in a scrim/tourney would just go wide, and set up a good cross with Lancer fire. That aside, the game is actually really good... in it's own right. Rifles paired with Actives, Stopping Power, and Headshot bonus are still the main reasons the game isn't "fun" against top players. It's for those reasons that I can understand why people love Gears 1 the most. But, if you've only played 2 and 3, Gears 1's (and Judgment, but we don't speak of that game anymore) shots do fire differently... which is another reason people are so on the fence about which they prefer.

For anyone interested, there is actually a Gears 3 LAN happening next month at Winterbrawl 8, held by Hypefestation. It'll be streamed on Hype's Twitch Channel too. I had planned to be there, but I decided to purchase an Xbox One instead. That proved to be the wise choice, since Philly is a long way from Texas. Plus with a new game on the horizon... I can always plan to go to the next event now. ;)

- TYPØ

#16   Scooby

Scooby

• 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Next Gen Gears? sweg

#17   ssj

ssj

• 2,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

GoW 2 was the worst, no denying that. You could literally ROLL places quicker than you could run. #failfish

Gears 3 on the other hand is an entirely different animal. It plays much smoother overall, and is a huge advancement from what you may remember in 2008. The biggest let down from a competitive standpoint is that the game is a lot more rifle focused. Trust me, I could dive into tons of other tiny reasons why the game isn't perfect... but I wouldn't want to bore you. If you can't shotgun, you can always whip out a rifle and do work. Clutching a 1v4 used to be possible in GoW1, but the only time that happens in GoW3 is if the people you're playing in pubs are brainless. Any smart player/team in a scrim/tourney would just go wide, and set up a good cross with Lancer fire. That aside, the game is actually really good... in it's own right. Rifles paired with Actives, Stopping Power, and Headshot bonus are still the main reasons the game isn't "fun" against top players. It's for those reasons that I can understand why people love Gears 1 the most. But, if you've only played 2 and 3, Gears 1's (and Judgment, but we don't speak of that game anymore) shots do fire differently... which is another reason people are so on the fence about which they prefer.

For anyone interested, there is actually a Gears 3 LAN happening next month at Winterbrawl 8, held by Hypefestation. It'll be streamed on Hype's Twitch Channel too. I had planned to be there, but I decided to purchase an Xbox One instead. That proved to be the wise choice, since Philly is a long way from Texas. Plus with a new game on the horizon... I can always plan to go to the next event now. ;)

- TYPØ

I'm referring to the play style of Gears. I'm still a complete noob at the game so I wouldn't really notice the differences from each game. Just not a fan of Gears except for it's campaign and even then they strayed away from the darker/horror aspect of the game. Now i

#18   Proven

Proven

I don't play Video Games

• 14,485 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

Does this actually mean Black Tusk isn't working on a new IP? From what I know they're a fairly large studio and it seems like this is just going to be another project for them.

I'd be surprised if they were just scrapping the other game to completely focus on this. Who knows until we have more information though.

The game seen at E3 was just a "creative test" to show off some of their engine/skills. Was never a real game.

#19   ssj

ssj

• 2,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Should've gotten Black Tusk to work on Halo and. 343i to work in Gears lol.

The game seen at E3 was just a "creative test" to show off some of their engine/skills. Was never a real game.

That's disappointing.

#20   Deception

Deception

• 459 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

The Pendulum Wars, but it's human vs. human and no Locusts. Locusts to GoW is like the Covenant to Halo, so they might come up with a way to bring the Locusts back.

This is what they should have done Judgment but I guess they could have been saving that for the next trilogy?

Either way this could either be the best news or worst news for X1 depending on what Black Tusk does with the game. I just hope that Black Tusk can capture Epics art-style because that is what made Gears so iconic. 

#21   ssj

ssj

• 2,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Since Black Tusk is working on GoW, I wonder what Epic will be working on.

#22   Deception

Deception

• 459 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Since Black Tusk is working on GoE, I wonder what Epic will be working on.

Remember that FortNite game? Wonder if their still working on that.

Also I saw somewhere that since MS just got the rights to this IP Black Tusk is still working on their new IP which is good news.

#23   ssj

ssj

• 2,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

Also I saw somewhere that since MS just got the rights to this IP Black Tusk is still working on their new IP which is good news.

Don't think I've heard of it.

I unno maybe, says GoW is their current project though.

#24   Teapot

Teapot

FPS Guru

• Premium

• 4,842 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

This is terrible news for those hoping for a new innovative shooter. RIP Black Tusk. A team of talented developers are stuck trying to revive an old series is almost the exact opposite of what all teasers/info they've released in the past.

#25   Teapot

Teapot

FPS Guru

• Premium

• 4,842 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

source? so far the comments I read lead me to believe that they are scrapping their "IP" and what was revealed at E3 was a concept teaser. Again these are comments from unknown people.