Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OT of GD

• Please log in to reply
26262 replies to this topic

#26251   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,870 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

I haven't played Hollow Knight, but Shovel Knight is awesome.

I don't know how long Hollow Knight is, but depending how good you are Shovel Knight isn't very long, you can pretty easily do it in one longish sitting. If you want to get one out of the way, start with Shovel Knight. Otherwise play Hollow Knight and let me know if I should buy it.

From what I have been seeing on the internet people are nuts about Hollow Knight.  And it won best MV on a bunch of website I looked at.  Every YouTube review I watched said it was amazing. I also ened up buying Dead Cells to because people are saying it's really good as well. 

#26252   TI Inspire

TI Inspire

• 646 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

Jetpack is by far the worst problem afflicting Reach.

Bloom is bad, sure, but at least it can be managed by pacing one's shot. Armor lock is also dumb, but it's so seldom used that I really couldn't care less.

Jetpack however is the second most used armor ability, just behind the still problematic, but far less enraging sprint.

It breaks every single map. Intended play styles are rendered null-and-void. Players can obtain unearned positioning advantages easily thru its use. And players routinely use it to get out of a map's bounds (Coagulation is the primary example of this).

The worst thing about it though is that players who get what essentially amounts to unearned kills with it think they're much better than they really are.

That such a terrible mechanic even made it thru play testing is astounding. And I'll even go a step further; if jet pack was not in Reach, I'd have no reservations about calling it a great Halo game.

#26253   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 3,887 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:15 AM

Jetpack is by far the worst problem afflicting Reach.

Bloom is bad, sure, but at least it can be managed by pacing one's shot. Armor lock is also dumb, but it's so seldom used that I really couldn't care less.

Jetpack however is the second most used armor ability, just behind the still problematic, but far less enraging sprint.

It breaks every single map. Intended play styles are rendered null-and-void. Players can obtain unearned positioning advantages easily thru its use. And players routinely use it to get out of a map's bounds (Coagulation is the primary example of this).

The worst thing about it though is that players who get what essentially amounts to unearned kills with it think they're much better than they really are.

That such a terrible mechanic even made it thru play testing is astounding. And I'll even go a step further; if jet pack was not in Reach, I'd have no reservations about calling it a great Halo game.

I was with you right up until the last sentence. The whole MP was unplayable until 343 saved it.

#26254   TI Inspire

TI Inspire

• 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:39 AM

I was with you right up until the last sentence. The whole MP was unplayable until 343 saved it.

Meh, it has problems (armor abilities), but I'm good at it, so I like it.

If things like bloom were tweaked, it could've accentuated the skill gap.

Here's what I mean by tweaking:

1) After firing only about 4 or 5 shots, the DMR will reach full bloom. This full bloom status is not nearly large enough to discourage spamming. So basically everyone spams close to 100% of the time (I actually don't, but whatever). I would remove this cap to the bloom. So spammers would have to deal with an increasingly inaccurate gun.

2) To be honest, it would be preferable if the size of the bloom were increased to further discourage spamming.

3) And finally, to further encourage pacing, I'd reduce the time the reticle would take to reset by about 10-20%.

If these changes were made to bloom, then it would theoretically increase the skill cap as there would be a new focus on timely acurracy.

#26255   OG Nick

OG Nick

Aspiring Game Designer

• 1,381 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

Bloom is a dumb in Halo mechanic please stop

#26256   TI Inspire

TI Inspire

• 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Bloom is a dumb in Halo mechanic please stop

As it was, yes. That doesn't mean that it can't be done better.

And besides, I'm not saying that 343 should use it again for a primary weapon, just that it could be used for the DMR again if we wanted the sandbox to feel less redundant.

#26257   OG Nick

OG Nick

Aspiring Game Designer

• 1,381 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

As it was, yes. That doesn't mean that it can't be done better.

And besides, I'm not saying that 343 should use it again for a primary weapon, just that it could be used for the DMR again if we wanted the sandbox to feel less redundant.

Putting in bloom in any capacity is dumb. If we want the sandbox to feel less redundant they need to make a sandbox that isn't redundant

#26258   TI Inspire

TI Inspire

• 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Putting in bloom in any capacity is dumb. If we want the sandbox to feel less redundant they need to make a sandbox that isn't redundant

If you rewatch old vods of MLG games circa 2010-2011, you'll notice that absolutely no player even attempts to pace their shots.

Why is this? Because players realized that spamming as many shots as fast as possible was simply more likely to result in a kill. If I were able to modify the mechanic, I'd make it so that this would not be their conclusion (see above).

I am NOT saying that this mechanic should return for Halo 6 on all the primary weapons. Just that experiments with it on the DMR could actually result in interesting gameplay this series hasn't had before.

#26259   TeeJaY

TeeJaY

Breakout Warrior

• 872 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

Bloom results in longer kill times which we don't need in Halo. If someone is zooming across an area with sprint, the last thing I'd want to do is pace my shots. Just weakens the individual.

#26260   TI Inspire

TI Inspire

• 646 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

Bloom results in longer kill times which we don't need in Halo. If someone is zooming across an area with sprint, the last thing I'd want to do is pace my shots. Just weakens the individual.

Not necessarily.

Lets suppose for a moment that you control the development of the Halo weapon sandbox.

In this particular instance, you'd be designing a weapon that serves the same mid/long range function that the DMR serves in Halo: Reach.

You don't want the gun to be too powerful, otherwise it would throw off the game's weapon balance.

You end up approaching a choice. One gun has a slightly faster theoretical ttk, but has a redesigned bloom mechanic with a larger emphasis on pacing, and the other gun has a slightly longer ttk, but with no bloom mechanic present.

Does choosing one or the other really empower the individual? My point here is that bloom can have a legitimate place as a balancing mechanic IF done correctly, and that it wouldn't necessarily disempower the individual relative to other options.

#26261   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,220 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:42 AM

Bloom doesn't make the game more interesting nor does it add skill.

It's not "spamming" to be able to hit all your shots with a moderate firing rate weapon like the DMR at the maximum firing rate.

You can add projectiles.  You can add recoil.  You can add bullet damage fall-off and have the reticle change color to signify that it's affecting your bullets.  You can lower scope magnification or remove the scope entirely.  I'd prefer pretty much any range limiting solution over bloom on precision rifles, bar random spread.

But the most obvious solution is to not have four or five fucking rifles in the first place when there aren't even that many distinct engagement ranges in the game.

#26262   TI Inspire

TI Inspire

• 646 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

Bloom doesn't make the game more interesting nor does it add skill.

It's not "spamming" to be able to hit all your shots with a moderate firing rate weapon like the DMR at the maximum firing rate.

It's more difficult to hit all of your shots when you have consciously take into account the timing of said shots.

It's not the ROF that makes firing the DMR ASAP spamming, it's that the player is ignoring the visual feedback of the bloom in an attempt to get an RNG kill that makes it spamming. FTR, any bloom mechanic that I'd implement would make that decision unviable at all but the closest ranges.

Shooting the H5 Magnum ASAP is obviously not spamming because that gun doesn't actually have bloom. 343 reduced its effectiveness via other means, like reducing the RRR and making its zoom-in only slight.

What I'm proposing is that a newly redesigned bloom mechanic, with an increased focus on pacing, be implemented at some time in the future on one of the rifles.

#26263   The Tyco

The Tyco

• 489 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

What I'm proposing is that a newly redesigned bloom mechanic, with an increased focus on pacing, be implemented at some time in the future on one of the rifles.

Yeah, no thanks.