Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

''RISE'' a Halo 5 BolTok Montage - Edited by Nexo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1   Nexo

Nexo

• 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hey everyone! I'm here today to share with you my first Halo montage. I already had good montage notion, but it's the first time for me to work with video game footage! I'm fan of Halo editing since the begining of Halo 3 and  it's a big pride for me to finaly have mine and certainly not the last one! I would love to have some feedback  so there is the link! Hope you like it and let me know wich part you prefer and wich one you like least.  

By the way, sorry if my english is not that good, it's because I'm a french canadian :)

#2   Noodle

Noodle
  • Premium

• 377 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

I didn't like the glithcy effect used in the middle of clips; as a transition it's fine but in the middle of killstreaks it's hard to follow the action. Also didn't like the strobe effect or some of the jumps between kills in the same clip.

Otherwise, I liked the editing, keep working on montages and continue to form a style.

#3   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,501 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

First of all, I can tell a ton of effort went into this. Thank you for the time and passion you put into it. It definitely shows.

Like Noodles said, some of your edits are intrusive, particularly mid multi-kill. If your edit has your perspective completely shifting in one cut, consider putting in some linking frames so that it’s easier to follow. Your warp effect that you used a lot would pair nicely with a fast forward, making it much easier to tell we’re in the same clip.

#4   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• 5,020 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

Starting at 1:40 is a good example of the over-editing that has already been mentioned.  You basically miss 2 out of the 4 kills https://youtu.be/wyQAQLgGhfo?t=1m40s

#5   Nexo

Nexo

• 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

Thank you guys!! It's very appreciated to have some constructive feedback. To answer about the fact I jump some kill is because I like when things go fast and the music go very fast too so I was confuse about how I was suppose to follow the rythm when action of the clip is slower. I don't know if I'm clear in my explication especially in english lol. But yeah I totaly agree with your point and it's gonna be something I will consider in my next editing.

To be honest, the first song was the first I edited and it's the one I like least. I try a lot of thing and I was a little bit in a ''yolo'' freestyle mindset so yeah this is certainly why this is the worse part of the montage.

Again thank you for your comments and your time! It's really appreciated and hope you're gonna see my next montage to see the evolution :)

#6   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:01 PM

Thank you guys!! It's very appreciated to have some constructive feedback. To answer about the fact I jump some kill is because I like when things go fast and the music go very fast too so I was confuse about how I was suppose to follow the rythm when action of the clip is slower. I don't know if I'm clear in my explication especially in english lol. But yeah I totaly agree with your point and it's gonna be something I will consider in my next editing.

To be honest, the first song was the first I edited and it's the one I like least. I try a lot of thing and I was a little bit in a ''yolo'' freestyle mindset so yeah this is certainly why this is the worse part of the montage.

Again thank you for your comments and your time! It's really appreciated and hope you're gonna see my next montage to see the evolution :)

I'm so glad no one here will EVER see my first montage. No worries dude. I bet your next one will be even better.

One thing to keep in mind though...one of the biggest skills an editor can have is just putting the right clip in the right place. If your clip doesn't match that part of the song, maybe that's not the right place for that clip. The more naturally a clip can fit into the song, the better.

Want some inspiration? This is one of my favorite montages ever, and I think it illustrates my point: 

#7   Nexo

Nexo

• 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

Yea I see your point. The clip of the Quake montage are in armony with the music, it's impressive. I'll keep that in note! Thanks budy ! :)