Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Scuf or Elite?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1   Monk

Monk

• 103 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

What controller is a better investment? Are there differences in quality? 

#2   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• 5,036 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:31 PM

Get an Elite so you can go to Best Buy (or wherever) and pay the $20 for the no questions asked 3 year extended warranty.  Both scufs and elites break all the time, so the easier return is better.

#3   Knighty Knight

Knighty Knight

Caster

• Verified

• 7,300 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

You'll return it 100x so the warranty is worth.

#4   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,534 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

Get an Elite so you can go to Best Buy (or wherever) and pay the $20 for the no questions asked 3 year extended warranty.  Both scufs and elites break all the time, so the easier return is better.

You'll return it 100x so the warranty is worth.

I returned my Elite 3 times to the Best Buy in Manhattan KS through their Black Tie Protection. It was great until they stopped carrying it in that store or on their website. So I'm sitting on all that store credit and no Elite to spend it on. I could drive to another store, but it's a 2 hour drive.  I'm pretty certain that I'm the sole reason my store stopped carrying Elites, and the website probably faced a similar problem from all over the country. So I guess their solution was to just restrict the living shit out of its availability.

#5   Bad Dub

Bad Dub

McVeigh

• Verified

• 3,056 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

If you leave your Elite out in a warm room the grips expand, bubble and then eventually fall off or you rip them off.

Right now my Elites grips are horribly super glued to the controller as they expanded and are now too large for the actual grip area.

#6   pddschild

pddschild

• 518 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

Neither - Go Battle Beaver

They use the One S controller and so it has the upgraded bumpers, this is the biggest reason. 

A few subjective reasons 

- They're a small business that gives a shit about their customers 

- I grip my controller pretty hard and the position of their buttons let me do this unlike the Scuff or Elite 

- Only company that offers stick tension if you're into that 

#7   VinnyMendoza

VinnyMendoza

• 2,093 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

Why do people buy these awful controllers that they know will break?

It's not worth it tbh. This is coming from someone who cares about convenient controllers a lot. Blowing 150 on a controller that will break in 3 years is basically for people with fuck you money.

#8   CyReN

CyReN
  • Admin

• 17,164 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:29 PM

I returned my Elite 3 times to the Best Buy in Manhattan KS through their Black Tie Protection. It was great until they stopped carrying it in that store or on their website. So I'm sitting on all that store credit and no Elite to spend it on. I could drive to another store, but it's a 2 hour drive.  I'm pretty certain that I'm the sole reason my store stopped carrying Elites, and the website probably faced a similar problem from all over the country. So I guess their solution was to just restrict the living shit out of its availability.

My local store recently had a restocking of Elites, and it's on their site again if you're looking

#9   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• 5,036 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

My local store recently had a restocking of Elites, and it's on their site again if you're looking

That was part of the rumor about there being an Elite 2 unveiled at E3, stock for v1 elites was running dry all over the place.  Definitely worth checking back.

#10   Snipe Three

Snipe Three

• 3,160 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

I REALLY think the scuf is the better controller of the two but they're both far too expensive for how often they fall apart. They're just not actually good investments if the cost is a concern. The return policy thing is a great idea and its about the only way I could really recommend either of the controllers to someone that isn't making money off of playing and/or doesn't have tons of money to blow on controllers. Its actually ridiculous that the quality of xbox controllers (specifically bumpers) has gotten so bad that I play far less than I did with 360/OG and yet I've replaced more controllers than either if we don't talk about slow turn.

#11   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,534 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

They use the One S controller and so it has the upgraded bumpers, this is the biggest reason. 

A few subjective reasons 

- I grip my controller pretty hard and the position of their buttons let me do this unlike the Scuff or Elite 

I might have to check this out then. It sounds like we have very similar problems. My Elites broke 4 times (I replaced it 3 times). 3 times it was one of the bumpers, and once it was slow turn. I adore the controller while it works...

I do clench really hard, so using all 4 paddles just wasn't even an option for me on the Elite. No way I was getting used to a different grip. I'd love to hold a Battle Beaver and see if I could use 4.

#12   Gold

Gold

TR

• Premium

• 2,367 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:24 AM

I’ve had my elite controller since it first come out with no problems at all. I do put mine back in it’s case it comes with after every use.

#13   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,534 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

I think I just press my bumpers too hard. I also use LB to jump in Halo and Titanfall and to roll in Gears, all of which I played a lot of with my elite. But the bumpers only broke on my elite, never my regular controllers.

#14   pddschild

pddschild

• 518 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

I might have to check this out then. It sounds like we have very similar problems. My Elites broke 4 times (I replaced it 3 times). 3 times it was one of the bumpers, and once it was slow turn. I adore the controller while it works...

I do clench really hard, so using all 4 paddles just wasn't even an option for me on the Elite. No way I was getting used to a different grip. I'd love to hold a Battle Beaver and see if I could use 4.

I only had 2 buttons put in so cannot help much with the 4 button question. 

My 2 buttons are placed as far up as they'll go and when I grip my controller the tips of my middle fingers reach them perfectly. I think Scuff's and Elites would be okay if they just used the One S bumpers, too me stick drift is rare, but everyone's bumper falls off if they game consistently. I'm sure if they make an Elite 2.0 it will use the One S build, Scuff seems pretty focused on PS4 controllers right now so I wouldn't expect much change from them. 

#15   Snipe Three

Snipe Three

• 3,160 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

I think I just press my bumpers too hard. I also use LB to jump in Halo and Titanfall and to roll in Gears, all of which I played a lot of with my elite. But the bumpers only broke on my elite, never my regular controllers.

I've had the bumpers break in like 5 controllers. I opened them up to see why. Basically you just have a thin plastic plate that's one solid piece running between both bumpers and when you press the button it just flexes. In the default controllers they legitimately just can't last forever and their life span just depends on how much pressure you apply to push the bumpers in.

There are also websites that'll just sell the bumper plate for anyone that breaks it and doesn't want to just buy an entirely new controller

#16   Monk

Monk

• 103 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

I went and got an Elite, but it's not very comfortable with all four paddles in place. My fingers don't line up with the paddles. This is a significant issue, so I'm considering getting a Scuf instead, since the paddles are different. 

#17   TeeJaY

TeeJaY

Breakout Warrior

• 928 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

Bought my Scuf three years ago and the left bumper is just now becoming a bit loose. I'd say it was worth. Will probably get a new one soon.

#18   Nokt

Nokt

The Lost One

• Premium

• 1,219 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

Why not both? Microsoft Forza Elite Scuf. Its an elite controller with scuf paddles. However its a whopping $300.

The elite is nice in that you can replace the parts, analog sticks, paddles, for relatively cheap.

A few subjective reasons 

I like that they don't do paddles, but individual buttons on the hand rests. It seems like such a better layout than paddles.

Also in the past they have made me customized home buttons with whatever image I want (I think it was like $10), dunno if they still do that.

#19   Snipe Three

Snipe Three

• 3,160 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

https://scufgaming.c...ional-bias-dpad

You might be interested in some of that

#20   Supermelee24

Supermelee24

• 347 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

So anyone know which controller is slow turn free?

#21   Monk

Monk

• 103 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:27 AM

Slow turn should no longer be an issue in Halo 5 due to the option to adjust dead zones in controller settings.

After a solid week and a half of practice, my hands have pretty well gotten used to the paddles on the Elite. It no longer feels uncomfortable. I still occasionally make mistakes, like pressing two paddles at once, but I imagine that these errors will occur less frequently with more practice. 

#22   Gold

Gold

TR

• Premium

• 2,367 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:22 AM

My elite stopped working yesterday after flinging it across the room due to fortnite.

RIP.

#23   Noodle

Noodle
  • Premium

• 396 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

Anyone have an opinion on the Razer Wolverine (either TE or Ultimate)? Wondering if I should be considering it in addition to Scuf or Battle Beaver (gonna pass on an Elite since I'm not really interested in a product where the warranty is just about mandatory).