Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comparing Importance: Earbuds --> Headphones, or Basic --> Scuf

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1   Monk

Monk

• 103 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:09 AM

What is a better investment for players -- upgrading from earbuds to surround-sound headphones, or upgrading from a basic controller to a Scuf? 

#2   bunniesz23

bunniesz23

Hold Forward And Don't Miss

• 925 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:49 AM

It depends. Most players going to tournaments have both, but pretty much all of them have a decent headset. On the other hand, some control schemes can make much better use of paddles than others, and higher end earbuds are pretty passable. Ultimately just try to figure out which will help the most.

#3   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

It depends. Most players going to tournaments have both, but pretty much all of them have a decent headset. On the other hand, some control schemes can make much better use of paddles than others, and higher end earbuds are pretty passable. Ultimately just try to figure out which will help the most.

I’m curious what you feel is the most efficient button layout when you include paddles.

#4   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• 4,994 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

depends on where you are trying to perform and if you claw at all.  If just online and you can claw the X button well, i would say headphones have the slight edge because you can sound whore like a sonuvabitch.  LAN's are pretty noisy environments though, so I would go with a scuf in that case. For Halo 5 specifically, having thrust on a paddle is such a godsend if you don't claw.  I used to play with an elite with thrust on a left bumber (so it was the opposite side of the look stick) and A on the right for stabilize.

#5   Knighty Knight

Knighty Knight

Caster

• Verified

• 7,203 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

What is a better investment for players -- upgrading from earbuds to surround-sound headphones, or upgrading from a basic controller to a Scuf? 

100% a scuf. if i had been playing halo 5 with extra inputs since day1 i probably wouldn't have stopped competing. it really is a MASSIVE gamechanger

#6   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,317 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

I think it depends on the game.

In Siege, CoD, etc. precise sticks and extra buttons don't really matter, but good sound quality is absolutely essential.

In Halo 5, Overwatch, etc. soundwhoring isn't as important but the convoluted control schemes will be a nuisance with a regular controller.

But uh, get both? Could just pick up a SCUF and one of these.

#7   Knighty Knight

Knighty Knight

Caster

• Verified

• 7,203 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

In Siege, CoD, etc. precise sticks and extra buttons don't really matter, but good sound quality is absolutely essential.

In Halo 5, Overwatch, etc. soundwhoring isn't as important but the convoluted control schemes will be a nuisance with a regular controller.

Yes, agreed. I made a mistake in assuming he meant just Halo 5 but in the broad spectrum of gaming you need both.

#8   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Why do you feel Overwatch has a convoluted control scheme? Can you give me an example?

#9   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,317 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

Why do you feel Overwatch has a convoluted control scheme? Can you give me an example?

I just mean it's beneficial to have that controller when you have four or five abilities (not including melee or jumping which makes it six or seven) and aiming to all deal with simultaneously.  Ex. Genji, Soldier 76

Unlike Siege where items are mostly used outside of firefights and you really only have to worry about aiming down sights and firing.

#10   bunniesz23

bunniesz23

Hold Forward And Don't Miss

• 925 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

I’m curious what you feel is the most efficient button layout when you include paddles.

For H5 it's probably either Southpaw or Fishsticks as weird as that sounds. Having jump and Crouch on face buttons makes spring jumps dumb easy. Without it's probably Bump Jump or Helljumper.

#11   Monk

Monk

• 103 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:48 AM

Can't recommend the cheap headset linked. I think the reviews are faked. I bought one and it seems that the USB has to be plugged in for the headset to work, which is very difficult to make happen because the USB and 1/8" cable are very close together. There's also an audible buzzing noise.