Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

• Please log in to reply
3121 replies to this topic

#2451   CyReN

CyReN

Ð

• Admin

• 17,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

Looks to be 44 open teams, good luck to all those attending this weekend!

#2452   Exidrion

Exidrion

• 1,605 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:14 PM

Lower than I was hoping :/

#2453   Llamaas

Llamaas

• 125 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Actually way more than I thought was gonna attend considering how dead the 2ks and everything else seemed. I thought there would be maybe 30 teams total lmao

#2454   Craneteam

Craneteam
  • Premium

• 4,688 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:41 PM

wow for 250k thats nothing. we are on our last legs it feels like, unless we get a fixed mcc with more maps to bridge the gap to infinity

#2455   Exidrion

Exidrion

• 1,605 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

wow for 250k thats nothing. we are on our last legs it feels like, unless we get a fixed mcc with more maps to bridge the gap to infinity

Have been for months. Even Moses is switching over, and he was always pretty optimistic about Halo:

#2456   OG Nick

OG Nick

Aspiring Game Designer

• 1,565 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

POPULAR

Remember when Moses got all uppity cause there wasn't interest in EU Halo

#2457   TheIcePrincess

TheIcePrincess

• 4,526 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:06 PM

Have been for months. Even Moses is switching over, and he was always pretty optimistic about Halo:

Fortnite has a fucking eSports presence? Our race is doomed.

#2458   CyReN

CyReN

Ð

• Admin

• 17,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

Best of luck to @Moses_FPS with Fortnite coverage!

Fortnite has a fucking eSports presence? Our race is doomed.

If people enjoy it, then what's the issue? It's good in the long run for those within gaming.

#2459   valaea

valaea
  • Premium

• 1,762 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

50 teams is more than I expected.  I'm still amazed that 343 went with a fourth year of HCS.  I actually enjoy H5, and also watched all of the AGLs, but my excitement levels are incredibly low  :mj:

#2460   TheIcePrincess

TheIcePrincess

• 4,526 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

If people enjoy it, then what's the issue? It's good in the long run for those within gaming.

Because eSports viability to me boils down to more than just enjoyment. It's competitive by nature. When a game defined by RNG somehow has an eSports thing going, I'm gonna be kinda pissed. Because then you're beginning to lump Fortnite in on the same field as games like CSGO (In a general sense), and that just bothers me on 16 different levels. Granted, I don't want to say all eSports games are the same in terms of viability, and it's not my only reason for disliking it, but now we've reached a point where, again, a game defined by its RNG is somehow competitive. When it's not. At all. I could rant to the moon about it, but to me, it's just completely stupid. Not everything is made to be played competitively, let alone Fortnite.

#2461   Horrorphex

Horrorphex

• 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

Unpopular opinion: Fortnite is garbage.

#2462   careh

careh

• 2,593 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

Because eSports viability to me boils down to more than just enjoyment. It's competitive by nature. When a game defined by RNG somehow has an eSports thing going, I'm gonna be kinda pissed. Because then you're beginning to lump Fortnite in on the same field as games like CSGO (In a general sense), and that just bothers me on 16 different levels. Granted, I don't want to say all eSports games are the same in terms of viability, and it's not my only reason for disliking it, but now we've reached a point where, again, a game defined by its RNG is somehow competitive. When it's not. At all. I could rant to the moon about it, but to me, it's just completely stupid. Not everything is made to be played competitively, let alone Fortnite.

Competitive games are about mitigating RNG, all top esports have it to varying degrees. Fortnite as an esport is comparable to horse racing or dog racing where form and preperation play a large role but there is also more of a random element on the day. A few people have toyed around with different formats (namely Keemstar's tournaments) but to my mind officially they haven't even tried to alter the format towards competitive play which is where the main argument lies as mechanically the game is more demanding and has a higher skill ceiling than Halo.

'Esports' isn't just gaming competitively, there is an element of structure, a financial requirement and the need for an audience all of which Fortnite is killing it. With their first baby step they eclipsed any numbers Halo could ever hope for. They're putting $100m into prize money this year, more than the top10 esports combined the previous year.

#2463   TheIcePrincess

TheIcePrincess

• 4,526 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:24 PM

Competitive games are about mitigating RNG, all top esports have it to varying degrees. Fortnite as an esport is comparable to horse racing or dog racing where form and preperation play a large role but there is also more of a random element on the day. A few people have toyed around with different formats (namely Keemstar's tournaments) but to my mind officially they haven't even tried to alter the format towards competitive play which is where the main argument lies as mechanically the game is more demanding and has a higher skill ceiling than Halo.

'Esports' isn't just gaming competitively, there is an element of structure, a financial requirement and the need for an audience all of which Fortnite is killing it. With their first baby step they eclipsed any numbers Halo could ever hope for. They're putting $100m into prize money this year, more than the top10 esports combined the previous year.

And you're probably not gonna get a good format with RNG mitigation without gutting the game, because the game's main gimmick is literally competitive trash, lol. Building is garbage and falls prey to the same issues as sprint or thrust in Halo 5, where you can completely cheeseball fights you should've won or lost. Not even gonna go on about bloom or random shotgun damage counts, lol. Halo 5 is more demanding than Halo 3 in terms of movement. I'm comparing two trash cans here, but just because there's more skill in Halo 5's movement and mastering it due to its complexity doesn't make it better, or more competitive, necessarily.

It at best, has an audience. But to, again, take a completely random game and try to spin it into a competitive one? Nah. It's still stupid to me. At the core of eSports is the game. You can't have an audience, financial requirement, structure, etc without the game. And that game is competitive garbage, and probably always will be with how this developer's track record is. The fact they're putting more money into what is basically luck and randomness right now is a slap in the face, lol. You may as well give me $100,000,000 due to my totes leet sick Rummoli skills I obtained over four years of play- oh, wait. Numbers doesn't stop Fortnite from being a completely shit, joke of a competitive game.

#2464   Exidrion

Exidrion

• 1,605 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

For some reason I find Keemstar's Friday tournaments fun to watch, despite getting annoyed that Ninja and Hysteria lose to RNG. It's not competitive, but it definitely draws an audience.

I mean I think there are plenty of games in esports that aren't very competitive at the core so I don't really see the issue. The tournaments are (subjectively) fun to watch for hundreds of thousands of people, and they don't give a shit whether or not it's viably competitive. I get where you're coming from but with numbers like that, you're a minority.

They're just throwing tournaments and calling it esports because it's been trendy. that's probably not gonna stop happening any time soon.

#2465   TheIcePrincess

TheIcePrincess

• 4,526 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

For some reason I find Keemstar's Friday tournaments fun to watch, despite getting annoyed that Ninja and Hysteria lose to RNG. It's not competitive, but it definitely draws an audience.

I mean I think there are plenty of games in esports that aren't very competitive at the core so I don't really see the issue. The tournaments are (subjectively) fun to watch for hundreds of thousands of people, and they don't give a shit whether or not it's viably competitive. I get where you're coming from but with numbers like that, you're a minority.

They're just throwing tournaments and calling it esports because it's been trendy. that's probably not gonna stop happening any time soon.

Yeah, sure, doesn't mean it's not dumb, or there's not an issue with it, lol. I don't really mind or care about being a minority there, either. And the problem to me is not just that games that aren't competitive are being pushed, eSports wise. It's that people are playing these games for money. Lots of it. With Fortnite's earnings there being the icing on a shitcake. I just see an issue in how it became the standard. 

Kinda reminds me of the hilariously dumb speedrunning communities who try and speedrun games with ingrained RNG in them, and get world records off of sometimes uncontrollable times. Somehow world records are made from pure luck of the draw, much like money can be from these games. Super dumb to me.

#2466   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,450 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

higher than expected tho

#2467   Scuzzy

Scuzzy

• 297 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

Unpopular opinion: Fortnite is garbage.

Seconded. Game is fucking complete ass in my opinion. Absolute gimmick. If it wasn't free, it wouldn't be doing as well as it is (in my uneducated opinion).

#2468   My Namez BEAST

My Namez BEAST

• 6,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

Fortnite is fun. Halo 5 is not. There is the difference lmao

#2469   NavG123

NavG123

• 3,858 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:30 PM

Fortnite is fun. Halo 5 is not. There is the difference lmao

Fortnite is clearly not fun. Not sure where you’re getting your information.

#2470   My Namez BEAST

My Namez BEAST

• 6,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

Fortnite is clearly not fun. Not sure where you’re getting your information.

Ur mum

#2471   Llamaas

Llamaas

• 125 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

I doubt any of you watched Pokimanes podcast tonight, but she had Nadeshot on it and they were talking about how competitive gamers should do things in the scene and I think it's something halo pros should look into. He was saying how games need personality and how players need to start doing some type of content and expressing themselves more. He also talked about how 100 thieves didnt sign a certain pro fortnite team specifically because they said they didnt want to stream. If a fortnite team didnt get picked up by an org because they didn't want to stream, there is no damn way a halo team is gonna get picked up if they dont stream. 

#2472   Griffolian

Griffolian

• 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

I doubt any of you watched Pokimanes podcast tonight, but she had Nadeshot on it and they were talking about how competitive gamers should do things in the scene and I think it's something halo pros should look into. He was saying how games need personality and how players need to start doing some type of content and expressing themselves more. He also talked about how 100 thieves didnt sign a certain pro fortnite team specifically because they said they didnt want to stream. If a fortnite team didnt get picked up by an org because they didn't want to stream, there is no damn way a halo team is gonna get picked up if they dont stream. 

This is something going into the new Halo games that has to be hit from the ground running. Assuming there is a strong launch (not a bare-bones launch like H5 multiplayer was), pros and online personalities alike need to push this game in the spotlight.

After the post-launch hype dies down it's up to the community to keep the game alive. 

#2473   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,295 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

Played Fortnite for maybe thirty hours with some friends.  It was...okay?  Not really something I have any desire to keep playing.  I won't call it garbage since I can respect that it's a unique take on it's genre and has developer effort put into it...but I don't think it nearly deserves to be as popular as it is either.  I don't get how people can play it so long without getting bored, is it the skins?

On the topic of competitively merit, I think if somewhat re-designed Battle Royale could be competitively viable.  Two small teams on a symmetrical map that is roughly 1/4th the size of the current map (so large enough for the teams to evade each other but not large enough for it to take hours for them to find each other).  Weapons have no RNG mechanics, loot (guns, trees, etc.) always spawn the same in the same locations.  Two buses, one per team, fly across the map parallel to each other in opposite directions..  Plenty of decision making on where to land and what items to prioritize, but the actual map and loot is 100% consistent from game to game.

#2474   overuled

overuled

The Villainous Type

• 1,582 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:53 PM

The horse we ride in this community can be quite high sometimes.

#2475   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,297 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:26 PM

Its crazy, pretty soon all the most popular shooters will be RPG hybrids, which I dont really consider shooters, or pub masters fantasy games like Fortnite and PUBG. Meanwhile, oldschool FPS players like me would KILL for a sweaty clan-based FPS where if you go into pubs alone you get train-wrecked by a full clan(or spawn fragged like a piece of cannon fodder if your a noob) like the FPS gods intended it to be. Only pure FPS left with a significant audience is CSGO.