Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

• Please log in to reply
5317 replies to this topic

#4826   Llamaas

Llamaas

• 165 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

POPULAR

As below average of a game h5 is in the standards people have for halo i fucking love it. Maybe not for the actual game itself but just how much it has improved halo esports. Crazy to think that production wise HCS rivals games even like csgo now. If only we had the fan support of those games, but its gotta be pretty hard to grow it when even major personalities in the scene do nothing but bash everything. I was watching Timthetatman this morning play with ninja and ninja was talking about how calling the game dead/dying (Fortnite in this case) definitely makes people quit playing and watching.The negativity in this scene no doubt in my mind has turned off orgs from signing a team. The negativity isnt really justified anymore either, ever since 343i signed MLG to run events they have done everything right. From improved venues and production to fixing mcc and adding new skins to h5 when they weren't supposed to be supporting the game anymore. Obviously H5 isnt the best halo game but it could definitely be getting more viewers if there wasnt so much negativity surrounding it.

#4827   Zavehi

Zavehi

• 2,275 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:33 PM

343 investing in content like this is worth more than any prize pool they have ponied up since HCS began.

Gfinity London was a good start. Has to be a priority in Infinite to build characters and storylines. I hope H5 has shown that prize pools alone do not build a scene.

#4828   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 4,467 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

343 investing in content like this is worth more than any prize pool they have ponied up since HCS began.

Gfinity London was a good start. Has to be a priority in Infinite to build characters and storylines. I hope H5 has shown that prize pools alone do not build a scene.

^^^100% true. Give people a reason to care about these players.

#4829   Mhunterjr

Mhunterjr

• 3,565 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

As below average of a game h5 is in the standards people have for halo i fucking love it. Maybe not for the actual game itself but just how much it has improved halo esports. Crazy to think that production wise HCS rivals games even like csgo now. If only we had the fan support of those games, but its gotta be pretty hard to grow it when even major personalities in the scene do nothing but bash everything. I was watching Timthetatman this morning play with ninja and ninja was talking about how calling the game dead/dying (Fortnite in this case) definitely makes people quit playing and watching.The negativity in this scene no doubt in my mind has turned off orgs from signing a team. The negativity isnt really justified anymore either, ever since 343i signed MLG to run events they have done everything right. From improved venues and production to fixing mcc and adding new skins to h5 when they weren't supposed to be supporting the game anymore. Obviously H5 isnt the best halo game but it could definitely be getting more viewers if there wasnt so much negativity surrounding it.

The reason H5 lost its viewership isn’t because people talk shit. It because people don’t play the game... because they prefer other games.

As good as production has been, that alone isn’t going to make people care about a game they don’t think is fun.

Unfortunately, many of these improvements came too late. Hopefully they Carry their learnings over to Infinite.

#4830   slyfox

slyfox

• 467 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:33 PM

POPULAR

The reason H5 lost its viewership isn’t because people talk shit. It because people don’t play the game... because they prefer other games.

As good as production has been, that alone isn’t going to make people care about a game they don’t think is fun.

Unfortunately, many of these improvements came too late. Hopefully they Carry their learnings over to Infinite.

Gears has a lower population yet its viewer ship is higher. Gears pros make youtube content, promote their tourneys speak during interviews and have rivalries. For all the blame pros and others place on 343 there is a lot of blame that should aimed towards the pro community as well.

#4831   Llamaas

Llamaas

• 165 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:39 PM

Gears has a lower population yet its viewer ship is higher. Gears pros make youtube content, promote their tourneys speak during interviews and have rivalries. For all the blame pros and others place on 343 there is a lot of blame that should aimed towards the pro community as well.

And honestly the content part of halo is fine. There are a bunch of people streaming and the community is supporting them. I think the negativity in the scene is just what keeps hurting it. Feels like people are going to a 9-5 job.

#4832   ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• 1,201 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:57 PM

Fuck now i gotta play H5 again  :mj:

Played two games. First game had someone with a super sensitive mic that picked up everything and the first 3 minutes of the game was some guy shouting about the second amendment and protecting his rights to bear arms. Game ended, and teams were wonky as shit. My team was two unranked players and two diamonds facing off 2 diamonds, a champion and an unranked played.

Turned off my xbox and went back to Siege after that one.  

#4833   valaea

valaea
  • Premium

• 1,834 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:51 PM

And honestly the content part of halo is fine. There are a bunch of people streaming and the community is supporting them. I think the negativity in the scene is just what keeps hurting it. Feels like people are going to a 9-5 job.

????  There are very few H5 players streaming regularly; most of the current pro streamers (Snipedown, Danoxide, Vetoed, Naded, Frosty) have taken like one-year breaks consistently.  Halo has one of the worst streaming scenes of any esport, easily (and basically zero casual streamers, Kampy sort of qualifies but hasn't streamed for two years, and Actionman ... exists, I guess)

Anyway the Halo scene is just weirdly schizophrenic -- there's a painfully awkward casual scene of Reach kids who love Grifball and lore and post cringe things on /r/halo, then you have the 20-30 people on here who talk about H1 settings and are incredibly negative about every Halo in the past decade.  So there's a LOT of negativity from the competitive side, and then weird fanboyism from the casual side ... but a great competitive game with a good campaign will solve all of these problems

#4834   JORGE

JORGE

Hip hip JORGE

• Premium

• 832 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:26 PM

Remember when the HCS playlist was 100% oddball with gunfighter mags and BR starts for a week straight?

Good times

#4835   FeaR

FeaR

• 433 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:56 PM

I miss having a decently positive community in and out of game (forums, etc) I feel like Halo 5 just came in at the wrong time especially being after Halo 4 which ultimately when the downfall started happening. 

Halo 5 is the reconstruction of the competitive community that we once had. Is it anywhere near H2, H3, or Reach? fuck no but its a stepping stone to a bright future. Give us a fun enjoyable game that if needed we can tune the settings to make it competitive and give us a good PC port. 

#4836   Snipe Three

Snipe Three

• 3,106 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:20 AM

I miss having a decently positive community in and out of game (forums, etc) I feel like Halo 5 just came in at the wrong time especially being after Halo 4 which ultimately when the downfall started happening. 

Halo 5 is the reconstruction of the competitive community that we once had. Is it anywhere near H2, H3, or Reach? fuck no but its a stepping stone to a bright future. Give us a fun enjoyable game that if needed we can tune the settings to make it competitive and give us a good PC port. 

Pretty sure the bold is the only thing that will actually turn things around. With that everything else will fall into place on its own out of the passion people have for playing the game. Microsoft can pump money and throw tournaments for the game all they want but if we want to be more than a relatively small and dissatisfied community a lot of people have to actually have fun again rather than the game getting super mixed reactions and tanking population wise in a couple months. We have the right support/TOs already we just need the game

#4837   GunRanger

GunRanger

• 4,653 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:47 AM

How many people here use their twitch prime sub on a halo streamer? I only give it to halo guys

#4838   Loadali

Loadali

• 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

How many people here use their twitch prime sub on a halo streamer? I only give it to halo guys

Same with me. Pretty sure I’ve used my on frosty for a decent amount of the months I’ve had it.

#4839   Mhunterjr

Mhunterjr

• 3,565 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

That’s a great point, but I think there’s something to be said about appealing to the audience you have.

Gears hasn’t been perfect, but it’s been esports friendly from day one. they integrated viewer participation into the game from the start, had LAN support day one, and partnered with a TO that had a grass roots philosophy from day one. They were doing MS store events for pro points, long before 343 started having friendlies. So while their community may be smaller, a larger portion of that audience is invested in the esport. Thus esport content is a much better prospect for pros when the the community at large is interested in the esport.

A Halo pro can make content non stop, but if no one gives a shit about competitive Halo, who’s going to watch it? And if no one is going to watch it, why make it? It’s a vicious cycle.

#4840   DonMagnet

DonMagnet

• 209 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:24 PM

THIS. I feel like the individual fanbases have been heavily lost due to a lack of streaming/content from the pro's- Lethul, Snipedown, Ace, Spartan, etc. Pro players who regularly streamed during 2015, 2016, and the early part of 2017 brought in a decent amount of fans during event live streams. The 2016 Summer and Fall online pro league season(s) viewership numbers are a perfect example of this and I'm pretty sure Moses would have those stats posted somewhere.

#4841   Wonderboy

Wonderboy

Caster

• Verified

• 556 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:33 PM

POPULAR

Remember when the HCS playlist was 100% oddball with gunfighter mags and BR starts for a week straight?

Good times

We also played with automatics, splinters and storm rifles for 2 years straight. Never forgetti.

#4842   Knighty Knight

Knighty Knight

Caster

• Verified

• 7,208 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

Good times!

#4843   TheSimms

TheSimms

Caster

• Verified

• 1,690 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

We also played with automatics, splinters and storm rifles for 2 years straight. Never forgetti.

haHAA

#4844   valaea

valaea
  • Premium

• 1,834 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:41 PM

and an effing Fuel Rod Cannon on truth ... I was watching an old clip from 2016 and literally facepalmed when I saw Huke pull out the FRC lmao

#4845   pddschild

pddschild

• 511 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

and an effing Fuel Rod Cannon on truth ... I was watching an old clip from 2016 and literally facepalmed when I saw Huke pull out the FRC lmao

Now Truth is decided by whose cross map shots register more though so I'll call it a toss up

#4846   slyfox

slyfox

• 467 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

THIS. I feel like the individual fanbases have been heavily lost due to a lack of streaming/content from the pro's- Lethul, Snipedown, Ace, Spartan, etc. Pro players who regularly streamed during 2015, 2016, and the early part of 2017 brought in a decent amount of fans during event live streams. The 2016 Summer and Fall online pro league season(s) viewership numbers are a perfect example of this and I'm pretty sure Moses would have those stats posted somewhere.

Don't forget Ninja as well who was by far the biggest Halo 5 streamer. Nowadays its awful compared to a couple years ago. Problem is pro players just don't want to put in the work imo. Wheres the youtube content? We just had London LAN and how many vlogs did we get? Zero. The top teams area close friends and don't care if they lose or win against each other. No one shows any emotion and the halo scene has lost a ton of personalities. Gandhi even after retiring was making great youtube content. T2 was a great commentator. Ninja was entertaining. Walshy used to stream. Kampy was fun to watch. Ola used to stream as well as Lethul. There is still some hope. Shyway is by far the best youtube content creator right now which focuses on HCS. The HCS weekly show is great as well. We need more.

#4847   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,605 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

there was nothing wrong with a frc tho i would have prefered rockets.

#4848   Chong

Chong

• 846 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:12 PM

#4849   AirKick

AirKick

• 313 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:06 PM

Although this will NEVER happen, would you guys be opposed to have multiple developers for Halo? Much like CoD has been doing forever now. I’m not saying we get a new Halo every ear, but at least a new one every 2-3 years? We can’t keep relying on “give them all the time they need, we just want a good/fun game” because that arguably hasn’t happened for 8 years or more. I truly think we could get better games because of the competition between the developers. Anyway, just a random thought I had. Feel free to show me the list of reasons this would be bad, I just don’t know what to do with myself since there will be a 5 year gap between h5 and h6.

#4850   Llamaas

Llamaas

• 165 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:12 PM

Now Truth is decided by whose cross map shots register more though so I'll call it a toss up

this is why people only care about lan