Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pono's Guide to Seattle for the HWC

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1   Pono

Pono

• 765 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

POPULAR

Pono’s Guide to Seattle

Official Halo.gg Event Link

Venue

First things first, let’s talk about venue. Located in the heart of the SoDo (South of Downtown) or Pioneer Square neighborhood in Seattle, CenturyLink Field & Event center is going to be one hell of a time. Around the venue you’ll find bars and restaurants that mostly cater to the stadium events. Nothing too notable, but a couple good spots to dip out and grab a drink. A little bit further of a walk will land you in the fun area of Pioneer Square.

Airport

Arrival

Arriving at SeaTac is pretty straightforward – there is a designated rideshare pickup (Lyft/Uber/Etc.) on Floor 3 of the garage. If you’re lucky enough to be staying on the light rail and have the time, the Link Lightrail is located on the far left of the garage.

Departure

Warning #1: SeaTac security lines are HIGHLY variable. Some airlines even go so far as to warn their passengers to allow extra time at Seattle. Please allow adequate times for flight departure. I personally empathize with this onion article and leave at least 2 hours if I’m checking bags.

Warning #2: Airports are federal. Therefore, you shouldn’t be taking or consuming things that might be legal at a state level in the vicinity. Or transporting such things. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

Besides my warnings, everything is straightforward. Typical airport experience.

Lodging & Neighborhoods

Just so we’re all referencing the same neighborhood boundaries, here’s a handy neighborhood reference. Best to zoom in a bit to get rid of the surrounding areas. CenturyLink is featured prominently on the map near the Pioneer Square and Industrial District (SoDo) blocks.

For each neighborhood I’ll give some pros, cons, and best transportation for that area. Check AirBNB for some cool listings! Listed in personal recommendation order:

1. Capitol Hill

Pros: Along the Link Lightrail, food and nightlife hub, artsy, filled with little gems.

Cons: Can be overly eccentric, $$, busy nightlife.

Along the Link Lightrail, so getting to the venue will be a breeze. Walking distance to cool parks like Volunteer Park, Downtown area, and about 1,000 restaurants and bars. My personal favorite.

2. Downtown / Pioneer Square

Pros: HCS sponsored hotels, walking distance to venue, proximity to tourist attractions and downtown, along the Link Lightrail.

Cons: Concrete jungle, busy, touristy.

To be honest, I hardly go Downtown unless I’m going shopping for new clothes. I’m not much a concrete and skyscraper kind of guy, so if you aren’t either, stay away. Still coming in at number 2 for sheer amount of things to do and proximity.

3. Belltown / Lower Queen Anne

Pros: Restaurants & bars, museums, walk to Downtown.

Cons: NOT along direct Link Lightrail line.

An underrated area located northwest of downtown, you’ll be within walking distance of most tourist attractions like Chihuly and the Needle. See CityPASS in the Things to Do section below. Lots of great restaurants and bars here.

4. Fremont / Wallingford / Ballard

Pros: Seattle locals, bike and walking path, restaurants and bars, beautiful Greenlake park.

Cons: NOT along any direct transport line.

I can’t not mention my other favorite Seattle neighborhood. Unfortunately, a little inconvenient for the event, it still has a lot to offer. From local favorites, to beautiful parks such as Gas Works and Greenlake, to a long walking and biking path, This area is a lot more residential with hotspot streets and locations.

Things to Do

Personal Recommendations

Pike Place Market

One of the few tourist attractions that TRULY lives up to the hype. It’ll be bustling. It’ll be interesting. You’ll see fish get tossed. Go underneath the market to see a wall plastered with gum and to add your own piece! Honestly, only the main level is worth touring. The lower you go, the weirder the stores get. Check out Tillamook’s store for delicious cheese next door as well.

Starbucks Reserve Roastery

Everyone will push you to go to the “original” Starbucks, but it’s just like any other Starbucks and the Reserve Roastery is more fun of experience. You can do tasting flights of coffee, learn about the roasting process, or pick up some gifts for family that you can only find at this location!

Smith Tower

Controversial opinion – but the Space Needle really isn’t worth it. Smith Tower provides a better view for literally half of the price.

Local Farmers’ Markets

Every neighborhood in Seattle holds their own farmers market that’s filled with delicious foods, trinkets, and fun. Rain or shine! Grab a coffee and stroll the rows of tents with plenty of samples for free. My personal favorite is Ballard’s market.

Ballard Brewery Tour

The Ballard area has over 10 breweries within a reasonable walking distance. Stoup Brewing, Reuben’s Brews, Lagunitas, Peddler Brewing, and more! Here’s a good (while slightly outdated) blog post. You can definitely make a full day out of this.

Seattle Bouldering Project

A wildcard activity that every visitor I’ve had has loved. Challenge your mind and your body by ascending some 10 ft bouldering walls. Grab a beer in the warehouse basement afterwards.

Hiking

Happy to give some hiking recommendations if people have questions!

Tourist Attractions

So, you decided not to listen to my personal recommendations and want to do more of the “Seattle Checklist”. Fair enough, I’ve done it plenty of times myself. Then I’ll recommend the CityPASS.

CityPASS gives you admission to 5 different Seattle tourist classics, all for $79. My personal recommendations on this list would be the Needle, Harbor Tour, MoPOP, and Chihuly Garden and Glass.

Food

Seattle has an amazing, colorful food scene. These are just my personal favorites! Prices are a little bit higher across the board, so factor in a little more budget for this. I don’t know what the event is planning on bringing in, so I thought I’d just highlight some places outside of the Pioneer Square / SoDo neighborhood.

$$$ - pricey, sitdown, reservations recommended.

Spoiler

$$ - Casual sit-down spots.

Spoiler

$ - To go spots, desserts, doughnuts, etc.

Spoiler

Coffee

I know what you’re thinking, “Pono, did you seriously include a section on coffee? Isn’t that a little pretentious? What are you, a hipster?”. Yes, a little, and maybe. Be one with the bean water. I love coffee and thought fellow Beyonders might too!

Espresso Vivace

Victrola Coffee

Stumptown

Caffe Vita

Starbucks Reserve

Weather

I can’t predict the future, but the average temperatures in Seattle are 59F/43F and probable rain. Yes, it does rain here a lot. No, it is not typical rain. Think more like a lot of overcast and drizzle. You’ll be fine with a single, mildly warm, waterproof layer. People love the down water-resistant jackets here.

Questions?

Ask them in replies and I'll be happy to give specific advice or update the overall guide!

Edit log

Spoiler

#2   AArkham

AArkham

• 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

I'm going to be in Seattle March 15-19 (going to visit a friend and she couldn't get HWC week off work RIP me). I was once in Portland and ate at a place called Voodoo Doughnuts. There wouldn't happen to be one in Seattle, would there?

Also, what's the menu at Biscuit Bitch like?

#3   Pono

Pono

• 765 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

I'm going to be in Seattle March 15-19 (going to visit a friend and she couldn't get HWC week off work RIP me). I was once in Portland and ate at a place called Voodoo Doughnuts. There wouldn't happen to be one in Seattle, would there?

Also, what's the menu at Biscuit Bitch like?

No Voodoo here (it's overrated anyhow, Blue Star >>>). If you're looking for a dope doughnut spot, go to General Porpoise or Mighty-O. Another spot is Top Pot (though more of a chain). General Porpoise only makes doughnuts in the morning, so get there early to grab the best doughnuts!

Biscuit Bitch Menu

General Porpoise

Mighty-O

#4   GrimBrother One

GrimBrother One

343 Industries

• Verified

• 164 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

This is a pretty fantastic guide. Might only add MOD Pizza to your list of great places to grab a bit - super yum for cheap. 

#5   Hipstertle

Hipstertle

Simms Gif Enthusiast

• Premium

• 1,127 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

No Voodoo here (it's overrated anyhow, Blue Star >>>).

As someone who lives in Portland, thank you for saying this.

#6   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• 4,947 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

I only went to Seattle once years ago but i agree about the Pike Place market and the space needle.  One is cool, the other is overrated.  The coolest part about the space needle is looking at the building from the outside.

Im seriously saving this in my bookmarks for any travel i might do to seattle

#7   Inoculator

Inoculator

• 210 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

For craft beer fans, some must visits:

Holy Mountain

Reuben's Brews

Cloudburst

Lots of other great places, but those are all top tier. Also a big fan of Machine House for a unique experience (all traditional English cask beer).

#8   Str8 Kong

Str8 Kong

• 915 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

This is a pretty fantastic guide. Might only add MOD Pizza to your list of great places to grab a bit - super yum for cheap. 

I visited Seattle a couple months back and MOD Pizza was fantastic. Great crust, great toppings. There was a breakfast place downtown too, I think it was called "Bacco Breakfast" that was pretty awesome too.

I also enjoyed Top-Pot Donuts, although largely because they had an AMEX promotion for a free doughnut and coffee every day as long as you showed your card. Pretty sweet little perk.

#9   schrizzity

schrizzity

• 196 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

Not planning on going to the tournament. But after reading this, I want to visit Seattle! Very nice, thanks...

#10   Chig

Chig

343 Industries

• Verified

• 217 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:29 PM

Highly recommend Tat’s Delicatessen in Seattle. Best sandwiches in the city IMO. Only a couple blocks away from Century Link.

And you can never go wrong with Teriyaki while you’re here. Not sure many other city’s have anything like it.

#11   Pono

Pono

• 765 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

If anyone has last second questions, feel free to dump them here! I have some spare time today.

#12   Silos

Silos

Resident Speed Runner

• Premium

• 1,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

If anyone has last second questions, feel free to dump them here! I have some spare time today.

No question, but my friends and I just got back from Pike Place Market and had a great time, thanks for putting the guide together!

#13   JuggernautAJ

JuggernautAJ

• 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

I asked in the main thread, but got any insider knowledge on parking? I might just be a hoodlum and go to Trader Joe's or something. 
Any ideas appreciated!

#14   Zavehi

Zavehi

• 2,255 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

Dicks Drive In was nice at 1am yesterday.

#15   JuggernautAJ

JuggernautAJ

• 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

I asked in the main thread, but got any insider knowledge on parking? I might just be a hoodlum and go to Trader Joe's or something.
Any ideas appreciated!

Found street parking like 5 blocks away. That's a win for me!