Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your Game of the Year pick

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1   Simplicityyy

Simplicityyy

• 1,045 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

I've played three new releases this year, out of the fifteen games I've beat. Many of those are first time playthroughs of older games and some are replays. Even if game awards don't mean anything, we still like awarding excellence in gaming. So, what is your Game of the Year for 2017? I've played Horizon Zero DawnHellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and am well into Middle Earth: Shadow of War . I've not finished Shadow of War; I'm over thirty hours in. Its nothing close to the other two, but its still fun.

My pick is Horizon Zero Dawn. Outstanding game. Took me time to go from really liking it to loving it, but in the end its one of the top ten best games I've ever played. Intriguing story, great protagonist (I love Aloy ), beautiful open world, a stunning musical score, etc. Hellblade is quite a unique experience. Visualizing hallucinations and psychosis, plus hearing it through some of the absolute best sound design I've experienced in a game (binaural sound design) was striking. 

What are your picks? I bet Zelda: Breath of the Wild wins Game of the Year from The Game Awards...sadly enough. HZD and Hellblade are unique in what they offer though. 

#2   Jake Teh Nub

Jake Teh Nub

• 1,587 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:27 AM

If you count Persona 5 as coming out this year, I would choose it. I 100%'d Horizon and liked it but I'm not sure I would call it GOTY. Mario or Zelda will probably win it though. I've also played both of them but got tired of BOTW and still haven't finished it. 

#3   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,554 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

Dark souls 3

#4   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,265 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

Dark souls 3

Meh, as a hardcore DS fan I thought DS3 was the "H3" of the DS series whereas DS1 was like HCE. Incredibly safe, more of the same, easier, no fun glitches or memorable weapons like DS1, even the pvp isnt as fun. Doesn't touch the originality in level design and sheer intensity of DS1 for me. Like that game literally made me jump back in my couch at times...you were always on your toes(except Blightown of course the only ugly wart on a true masterpiece) Of course the creative director who was behind Dark Souls left the studio so that might explain why it felt so bland to me.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is literally http://www.metacriti...original-sin-ii one of the highest rated rpg's of all time and top reviewed pc game of 2017 so objectively it is the GOTY(on PC anyways). If your an RPG fan and you havent played it yet do it,,, and make sure to take the next week off work because its all you will be thinking about its that freakin good and replayable. Im still playing it on hardcore tactician mode with extra mods for more end-game content and I almost never play RPG's this long(besides DS1 this gen maybe).  RPG's are kicking ass right now I have a huge backlog of mostly RPG's I want to get to over the holiday season. I wish shooters had this level of depth, originality, but as always RPG's have to innovate first before the shooters catch up(see hero shooters).

#5   Nokt

Nokt

The Lost One

• Premium

• 1,130 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

Nier Automata > Super Mario Odyssey > Hellblade > Breath of the Wild > Horizon

#6   EagleBurn

EagleBurn

"Arena"

• VIP

• 6,297 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Wasn't a good year at all IMO. If I had to choose though, it would be Hollow Knight.

#7   Saucey

Saucey
  • Admin

• 7,598 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

Would say PUBG, but it is "Early access" 

Really loved Wolfenstein. 

#8   Infinity

Infinity
  • Staff

• 8,279 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:54 PM

Not a fan of the early access trend, but PUBG has made waves.

Breath of the Wild is what I played this year and it was phenomenal.

#9   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,190 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

Pubg should win if it qualifies. I'd put it as game of the year.

mario odyssey deserves to be there as well

#10   EagleBurn

EagleBurn

"Arena"

• VIP

• 6,297 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Would say PUBG, but it is "Early access" 

Really loved Wolfenstein. 

What do you think about Fortnite?

#11   Saucey

Saucey
  • Admin

• 7,598 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

What do you think about Fortnite?

Tried it on PC, I prefer PUBG (due to realness), but Fortnite was pretty fun!

#12   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,554 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

My actual picks would be either fortnite or Horizon Zero Dawn. This was a pretty weak year for gaming.

#13   CyReN

CyReN

Ð

• Admin

• 16,573 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

BOTW, and it isn't close.

#14   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,554 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

BOTW, and it isn't close.

Ya know, I really didn't like it. To me, it felt like they scrapped everything that made Zelda awesome with the huge dungeons and controlled level progression in favor of a generic open world game that doesn't even do it as good as open world games do. I played it immediately after the Witcher 3 and it just felt dull.

The combat is literally 1 button, there's no roll. The weapon breaking system drives me insane, you spend half the game in the menu either cooking or putting on a new weapon. Oh yeah and I thought the cooking system was awful. The world design itself was super uninspiring and repetitive.

The best part of the game is by far the ability to use the special abilities link gets and pull off some ridiculous sandbox shit like riding the boulders or flying away on a raft, all of which is awesome but...totally useless. Every time someone does something amazing with them I can't help but think "Yeah or you could've just walked up to the enemy and hit them and killed them in a fraction of the time". The ai is really well designed I'll say that.

I dunno, I didn't understand the hype personally. I thought it was really boring, probably my least favorite Zelda game ever next to skyward sword.

I'm partly through Mario Odyssey right now and its good, but not great. And I still think that's 10x the game Zelda was.

#15   Snipe Three

Snipe Three

• 2,687 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Probably BOTW from me. As far as a roll button that's what X is for when you're locked on while obviously it jumps instead of rolls it serves the same purpose. A to parry. All together it was a weak year. They didn't have a DS1, Bloodborne or Witcher 3.

While pubg is fun (that does count for a lot too) its also pathetic as far as the craftsmanship of the actual game goes. Much prefer to wait on the goty award that the developer who copies pubg but actually builds a solid game gets

#16   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,730 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

Ya know, I really didn't like it. To me, it felt like they scrapped everything that made Zelda awesome with the huge dungeons and controlled level progression in favor of a generic open world game that doesn't even do it as good as open world games do. I played it immediately after the Witcher 3 and it just felt dull.

The combat is literally 1 button, there's no roll. The weapon breaking system drives me insane, you spend half the game in the menu either cooking or putting on a new weapon. Oh yeah and I thought the cooking system was awful. The world design itself was super uninspiring and repetitive.

The best part of the game is by far the ability to use the special abilities link gets and pull off some ridiculous sandbox shit like riding the boulders or flying away on a raft, all of which is awesome but...totally useless. Every time someone does something amazing with them I can't help but think "Yeah or you could've just walked up to the enemy and hit them and killed them in a fraction of the time". The ai is really well designed I'll say that.

That's the point, though. It gives you a diverse, interacting set of systems and leaves you to explore the world at your pace. It gives you interesting options beyond "what skill tree do I want to invest in first" and "what weapons should I kill things with?" Weapon degradation is part of that. It forces you to look around and manage your resources, it eliminates the gear grind, and it makes avoiding direct combat more worthwhile (more so early on). It's not an RPG where you level up by beating on things. The open world isn't just the space between the content like most modern open world games. It IS the content. It's designed to foster cool emergent gameplay experiences. The kind of stuff that people remember the most in other open world games that allow you to do far less. So, yeah, I guess you can choose not to take advantage of the creativity the game allows, but that's more your choice than the game's flaw, imo. Especially in combat, in which a lot more than one button is useful. Seems like you wanted the game to force you to do something interesting instead of giving you the choice.

Would it be more exciting if it was a series of fetch quests and Draugr dungeons and the gameplay basically amounted to a bunch of functionally identical ways to mindlessly hit things/make things go boom like in Skyrim? For some people, I suppose. As much as I love The Witcher 3 as an RPG, the open world is mostly (really cool) set-dressing. It's barely relevant to the actual gameplay most of the time. BotW is designed to be an open Zelda sandbox on a fundamental level. It does what most open world games advertise, but fail to accomplish because they're too busy cramming in tons of cut-scenes and scripting out linear missions with waypoints.

I also appreciated that I could turn off most of the UI and the game wouldn't become an incoherent, borderline unplayable mess like most AAA games in 2017.

#17   Nokt

Nokt

The Lost One

• Premium

• 1,130 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

I don't think Breath of the Wild deserves all the praise it gets. I'm more inline with its user rating score (84) than its critic rating score (97) on metacritic. It's a great game no doubt, its a great step into a new Zelda frontier. I thoroughly enjoyed my first play through of the game, thats kind of the problem though. It was really only the first play through I enjoyed.

Combat to me is hindered by breakable weapons as I was much less willing to explore given that I wanted to hold onto the stronger weapons rather than trade one for a leaf that could push me on the boat to somewhere possibly new and exciting. I would be a lot more for breakable weapons if I could repair certain weapons by obtaining certain materials or paying a fee to get it repaired. The better the weapon the more the fee or materials would be needed to repair it. I was much less willing to fight harder mobs if there wasn't a guarantee that a good weapon/shield would be waiting for me on the other side.I skipped most of the castle fights just by climbing walls and getting around them. It also doesn't help that there isn't a lot of enemy variety and that most mobs give crap for gear, even when you take out the little camps and get a chest at the end. Guardians and Lynels are really the only thing worth going for after a certain point.

I liked the new dungeons, short, sweet, get right to the problem solving and battles. I don't like that there is only 4 of them and they are all very similar in theme. I get the that shrines are suppose to be kind of an halfway point, but after going through probably 20/30 of them you've played most of them. Not that I don't really enjoy them, they are great little puzzles that are fun to finish, but they don't give anywhere near the satisfaction of beating a dungeon.

On my second play through I told myself that I would be a lot more outgoing than I was in the first play through, but it didn't end up happening at all. I went straight for the best gear, the easiest shrines, and didn't really have the fun I had the first time exploring the actual game. I spent 8-12 hours simply just exploring the game when I first jumped into it. Didn't touch any of the main quests and just wanted to explore, it just didn't last for me like it did everyone else. After doing the first dungeon I was ready to finish the game.

This is kind of a side note and I don't really hold it against it against ToZ that much but I feel like trailers leading up to BotW's release made it seems like we would actually get a half decent story out of the game, but instead we get flashbacks that are completely optional. I never really cared much for the story in Zelda games anyways, but I was always kind of hoping that we would get something better sooner or later.

#18   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,554 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

That's the point, though. It gives you a diverse, interacting set of systems and leaves you to explore the world at your pace. It gives you interesting options beyond "what skill tree do I want to invest in first" and "what weapons should I kill things with?" Weapon degradation is part of that. It forces you to look around and manage your resources, it eliminates the gear grind, and it makes avoiding direct combat more worthwhile (more so early on). It's not an RPG where you level up by beating on things. The open world isn't just the space between the content like most modern open world games. It IS the content. It's designed to foster cool emergent gameplay experiences. The kind of stuff that people remember the most in other open world games that allow you to do far less. So, yeah, I guess you can choose not to take advantage of the creativity the game allows, but that's more your choice than the game's flaw, imo. Especially in combat, in which a lot more than one button is useful. Seems like you wanted the game to force you to do something interesting instead of giving you the choice.

Would it be more exciting if it was a series of fetch quests and Draugr dungeons and the gameplay basically amounted to a bunch of functionally identical ways to mindlessly hit things/make things go boom like in Skyrim? For some people, I suppose. As much as I love The Witcher 3 as an RPG, the open world is mostly (really cool) set-dressing. It's barely relevant to the actual gameplay most of the time. BotW is designed to be an open Zelda sandbox on a fundamental level. It does what most open world games advertise, but fail to accomplish because they're too busy cramming in tons of cut-scenes and scripting out linear missions with waypoints.

I also appreciated that I could turn off most of the UI and the game wouldn't become an incoherent, borderline unplayable mess like most AAA games in 2017.

Very convincing post, but I still stand by my statement that it ditched all the aspects that I loved about Zelda. The open world on top of that felt really uninteresting to explore in terms of raw geometry but that's probably just me being picky.

I just have a hard time enjoying myself when my weapons break in 10 hits, I understand the purpose. Its just my OCD.

But again, all good points

#19   Simplicityyy

Simplicityyy

• 1,045 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:29 AM

I forgot about this thread up till now. Welp. I also don't visit the forums hardly anymore.

Some of you said this year was weak for games? Like....are you kidding me? Opinions, I know but...

This is one of the best years in recent memory. So many amazing games. Not all interest me, but the sheer number of quality titles is overwhelming.

If PubG wins GotY, I'll be mad. Nothing about it deserves it. Like Overwatch upset Uncharted 4 last year. That was pathetic. I can't see Super Mario Odyssey winning. Its either Zelda or HZD in my eyes. Persona 5 could sneak up possibly, but I have no idea what kind of game it is. Zelda doesn't look too interesting. I've watched a few minutes of Super Mario Odyssey on Twitch recently. That looks like more fun than Breath of the Wild. 

#20   TheSavery5

TheSavery5

• 2,933 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

I would honestly have to say my Game of the Year would be Metroid Samus Returns. Good game and it's the return of Metroid something I've been dying for since Prime 3.

#21   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,198 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:30 AM

Reminder of Noteworthy 2017 Releases:

*Games that were anticipated in their demographic, well-known in general, and/or critically acclaimed.
*Not including ports of recent games, or games in early-access before 2017.

Spoiler

I didn't realize it until I went through it for myself, but yeah I guess this has been (objectively speaking) a strong year for games.  Unlike 2016 which was pretty much entirely barren aside from a small handful of, to be fair completely outstanding, releases.

On a more personal level...barely any of those games actually interest me at all.  So yeah, pretty weak year for me too.

#22   Nokt

Nokt

The Lost One

• Premium

• 1,130 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

I would honestly have to say my Game of the Year would be Metroid Samus Returns. Good game and it's the return of Metroid something I've been dying for since Prime 3.

Still have yet to play this. I really need to get on that.

#23   TheSavery5

TheSavery5

• 2,933 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

Still have yet to play this. I really need to get on that.

The best way I can put it is, it's exactly the Metroid 2D game we've been wanting.

#24   Nokt

Nokt

The Lost One

• Premium

• 1,130 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

The best way I can put it is, it's exactly the Metroid 2D game we've been wanting.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I run through Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion every couple of years just because we've been so long without one. It'll be good to add another one into the mix.

#25   TheSavery5

TheSavery5

• 2,933 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I run through Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion every couple of years just because we've been so long without one. It'll be good to add another one into the mix.

It's linear though just like how the original Metroid 2 was though. Kinda like Fusion but far less story elements.