Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving on from Halo

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR

• 1,766 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Buddy of mine the other day asked what’s new with Halo and I said I don’t really know anymore because I haven’t fired up the game in probably a year. I think personally i’ve moved on from Halo for good.

After playing player unknown’s battlegrounds and seeing that there’s life on the other side of halo with gaming innovation and new ideas actually taking place that reinforce skill and tactics...I think Halo is a lost cause. Like Shadowrun’s failures, PUBG is actually being designed smartly and not making sacrifices to quality in the name of accessibility and $$$.

#2   Moses_FPS

Moses_FPS

💡 🅸🅽🆃🅴🅻

• Premium

• 9,966 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

Like Shadowrun’s failures, PUBG is actually being designed smartly and not making sacrifices to quality in the name of accessibility and $$$.

they have no problem taking money from hackers

PUBG is a fine game but it's far from perfect

#3   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,737 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

they have no problem taking money from hackers

PUBG is a fine game but it's far from perfect

PUBG is also about as far from Halo as you can get and still be a shooter.

The single biggest reason i still play halo is the 1v1 pistol battles.  You simply can't get that feeling anywhere else.

#4   Ultimatedong

Ultimatedong

• 856 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

The single biggest reason i still play halo is the 1v1 pistol battles. You simply can't get that feeling anywhere else.

So much this, i appreciate the br style games but they just arent for me.

#5   RC_5213

RC_5213

• 381 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

The single biggest reason i still play halo is the 1v1 pistol battles.  You simply can't get that feeling anywhere else.

Bingo.

There's nothing else out there like Halo.

#6   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR

• 1,766 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Halos original core concept is long gone in my opinion. Moving on is a great thing, but I dont think MSFT will ever allow Halo to go back to its core unless sales drastically go down.

PUBG reminds me a lot of when I first played HCE, that feeling of a whole new game, it’s refreshing.

#7   Hully

Hully

• 373 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

After nearly 16 years of Halo, I doubt I'll ever really leave it behind. These past couple of years have been somewhat of a dry spell for me personally, (I haven't played Halo 5 in over a year, and only play MCC sparingly) but I still watch the game, as well as keep up with the community through these forums, Reddit, Twitter, and Twitch. Games like Overwatch and Fortnite have been a breath of fresh air, but I can never help myself from thinking about the next Halo title and hoping it will be decent. 

#8   VinnyMendoza

VinnyMendoza

• 1,932 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

It's a shame that the 1v1 pistol battles in Halo 5 are a shell of what they are in Halo 1 thanks to magnetism and no leading.

#9   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,726 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

Yea 1v1 pistol battles are a joke in recent Halo titles.  I agree the feeling is awesome, but not in recent Halos. 

#10   Oriiii

Oriiii
  • Banned

• 1,024 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

There's nothing out there like Halo.

Ftfy

#11   Teapot

Teapot

FPS Guru

• Premium

• 4,933 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Halos original core concept is long gone in my opinion. Moving on is a great thing, but I dont think MSFT will ever allow Halo to go back to its core unless sales drastically go down.

PUBG reminds me a lot of when I first played HCE, that feeling of a whole new game, it’s refreshing.

Just curious, have you tried out NHE and the new maps? We ran like 5 new maps back to back and it was the only time I ever felt that sensation again within the same game. It felt like the very first time I ever played.

#12   The Tyco

The Tyco

• 474 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

What do you mean "Unless sales go drastically down"? They already have.

#13   Botheredhat360

Botheredhat360

• 879 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

What do you mean "Unless sales go drastically down"? They already have.

microsoft thought the windows store was a success

And there was like 2 players playing cod 4R on launch day. 

#14   sk0ls

sk0ls

• 612 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

PUBG is literally the accessible option in terms of battle royale next to h1z1. The only reasons it's wildly successful are because it's easier to play than h1z1 and because daybreak is a 343 level developer. 

#15   AArkham

AArkham

• 86 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

Two series I don't think I'll ever abandon: Halo and Gears of War. Even with all the BS that's happened with both of these franchises, there's nothing as satisfying to me as a close arena game or gibbing someone with a Gnasher.

#16   lenz420

lenz420

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:13 AM

Yea don't think I will ever stop playing it. I mean I have taken breaks over the years. But never "quit"

#17   calberto

calberto

• 941 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

Two series I don't think I'll ever abandon: Halo and Gears of War. Even with all the BS that's happened with both of these franchises, there's nothing as satisfying to me as a close arena game or gibbing someone with a Gnasher.

what BS heppening with gears? (Please don't start whining about microtransaction now...)

I wish 343 had the same level of passion for the original product as TC...

#18   AArkham

AArkham

• 86 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

what BS heppening with gears? (Please don't start whining about microtransaction now...)

I wish 343 had the same level of passion for the original product as TC...

Loads of problems with GoW4.

-Micros and the Gear Pack system. Yes, it's a very important issues to Gears specifically as the series has a history of awesome characters/weapon skins being earnable through in-game accomplishments. Goes directly against the series, and is compounded by how Gear packs work.

-Vague, muddy, and ineffective rank system. There wasn't any transparency for how it functioned until recently.

- Core and Competitive weapon tuning split and handling of it.

- Not listening to community when it comes to weapon tuning.

- Disregard to handling of matchmaking and quitting.

#19   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,737 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

-Micros and the Gear Pack system. Yes, it's a very important issues to Gears specifically as the series has a history of awesome characters/weapon skins being earnable through in-game accomplishments. Goes directly against the series, and is compounded by how Gear packs work.

-Vague, muddy, and ineffective rank system. There wasn't any transparency for how it functioned until recently.

I dont like any of those but the bold one is the worst imo.  I am not fan of "universal settings" to be sure, but weapon balance and base mechanics are the exception to that.  Base weapon variants should be the same from mode to mode to mode.

#20   AArkham

AArkham

• 86 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

I dont like any of those but the bold one is the worst imo.  I am not fan of "universal settings" to be sure, but weapon balance and base mechanics are the exception to that.  Base weapon variants should be the same from mode to mode to mode.

For sure. I would be all for it if the split was contained to settings such as starting weapons, weapon placements, etc. But altering range and damage values split the playerbase way too hard. It's fine if you're someone that just plays in one of the settings, but it becomes really poor when certain gamemodes and the mindset of players are separated by the core/comp split.

#21   calberto

calberto

• 941 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

the constant complains about microtransaction is something I'll never fully understand, I don't like it and it's not perfect but the way gears has been implementing it is still one of the better ways.

the rest is annoying but in no way as bad as what has happend to Halo. I agree with all of those points but seeing Gears 4 on the same level as 343s Halo is a bit of a stretch, I'd say they are comparable to the flaws H2/H3 had rather then what we have to deal with with Reach onwards.
TC has made mistakes with Gears 4 but it's still a recognisable and fun gears game, something Halo didn't have in last 10 years...

#22   AArkham

AArkham

• 86 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

the constant complains about microtransaction is something I'll never fully understand, I don't like it and it's not perfect but the way gears has been implementing it is still one of the better ways.

the rest is annoying but in no way as bad as what has happend to Halo. I agree with all of those points but seeing Gears 4 on the same level as 343s Halo is a bit of a stretch, I'd say they are comparable to the flaws H2/H3 had rather then what we have to deal with with Reach onwards.
TC has made mistakes with Gears 4 but it's still a recognisable and fun gears game, something Halo didn't have in last 10 years...

Firstly, I don't believe anyone compared TC and 343.

Second, the micros in Gears for what they call "premium packs" weren't and still aren't implemented well. The credit payout was and still is absurdly low while the cost of the packs with in game currency is too high. All that while only making them purchasable for a few days forces some players' hands to shell out real cash.

I don't understand forcing a comparison between the two. It feels like an anti-343 agenda. One game's mistakes doesn't apply to the other. Both series stand alone with their own history and ways of doing things. Just because one slips up in their unique ways doesn't make them equivalent.

#23   calberto

calberto

• 941 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Firstly, I don't believe anyone compared TC and 343.

Second, the micros in Gears for what they call "premium packs" weren't and still aren't implemented well. The credit payout was and still is absurdly low while the cost of the packs with in game currency is too high. All that while only making them purchasable for a few days forces some players' hands to shell out real cash.

I don't understand forcing a comparison between the two. It feels like an anti-343 agenda. One game's mistakes doesn't apply to the other. Both series stand alone with their own history and ways of doing things. Just because one slips up in their unique ways doesn't make them equivalent.

I guess I read to much into you initial statement about BS happening in both franchises then...
It's not so much an anti-343 agenda but an anti-shitty-halo-games agenda, reach sucked as well despite not beeing made by 343...I'm just bugged by how vocal parts of the gears community acts as if their franchise is fucked while, beeing a fan of both games, I wish Halo would be at a place where our biggest problems were balancing issues, playlists and ranks...

#24   xboxdigger 94

xboxdigger 94

• 1,109 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

I stopped playing Halo competitively when Reach came out. I have never managed to come back since. Just a few hundred games in the games after. 

I still occasionally visit the Halo forums tho. 

#25   Arena1999

Arena1999

• 245 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

I guess I read to much into you initial statement about BS happening in both franchises then...
It's not so much an anti-343 agenda but an anti-shitty-halo-games agenda, reach sucked as well despite not beeing made by 343...I'm just bugged by how vocal parts of the gears community acts as if their franchise is fucked while, beeing a fan of both games, I wish Halo would be at a place where our biggest problems were balancing issues, playlists and ranks...

Playlists and ranks shouldn't even be problems. The 1-50 system worked well with Halo 2 and 3, and the playlists were nicely divided by social playlists to the more competitive ranked ones. Halo has had balancing issues since Halo 2, and they only get worse and worse every new iteration of Halo.