Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weapon Tuning Exact Updates

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1   Brutality

Brutality
  • Premium

• 1,907 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

Figured I'd make this thread to streamline all of the changes to the weapons in one spot once we figure them all out!

Will update once I play some

SMG has a lot more spread/is much less accurate scoped and unscoped

BR FEELS like there's more spread but I can't tell for sure
- definitely more spread. May even be a 5 shot..
-another thought could be less magnetism which would be good. Can't fully tell but it's definitely harder

Grenade Launcher seems to have a slower trajectory with more arc

Railgun longer to charge as expected

#2   Basu

Basu

• 1,864 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

Updated change list as of 9/12

• BR is still a 4 shot, but it has some spread and recoil now and a much slower RoF. Kind of like a mix between the H2 and H3 BR. There was also a sizeable magnetism and I think RRR nerf, but to me it still feels easier than the Magnum.
  • As you said, The Railgun takes much longer to charge, but no significant magnetism or splash damage nerf.
  • Carbine is still pretty easy, but there might be a aim assist nerf like the BR and I think the maximum RRR has been shortened.
  • DMR had it's magnetism and aim assist when unscoped cut down significantly.
  • idk what they did to the Gunfighter, but it feels entirely useless. Classic Military FPS "sidearm" that you only pull out if you're out of ammo.
  • GL now has stronger arc and travels slower. Still has a massive blast radius though.
  • Sword no longer gives free speed boost
  • Camo is more effective now
  • SMG and AR have a lot of bloom when spraying now, doesn't change much for the SMG as it wall always a spray weapon, but the AR now requires some bursting to get those mid-range kills. SmartScope bonuses remain unchanged.
  • Most importantly: Sniper and Storm Rifle are still the same and will continue to ruin the game.

#3   A Fhaol Bhig

A Fhaol Bhig

• 823 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

I like the new autos. Just keep them out of competitive and we'll be fine. I do enjoy them not being garbage in the social modes.

Don't like the new BR and gunfighter doesn't fit right. Though BR changes may be actually better for the game, I don't know.

#4   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,513 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Yay. Random spread.

#5   duckbacon

duckbacon
  • Premium

• 108 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

What other game developer would release changes to the weapon sandbox (test playlist, i know) and not even detail what they are? and just leave it up to the player to figure it out? it's fucking unheard of

and when we do play it we realise it is a starting weapon with random spread that feels horribly inconsistant

Railgun, nade launcher and camo changes are decent

#6   Basu

Basu

• 1,864 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

Railgun is too slow now imo, but considered that they nerfed almost everything else too it's probably the right choice. The Sniper will completely dominate matches even harder now, it's stupid.

Add the SMG changes to that list too IMO. Feels way better now. Can't say too much about the Carbine and DMR yet, but a magnetism nerf is always welcomed.

Fuck the BR changes though. All we wanted is the stupid bullet magnetism removed and they go ahead and turn it into the hitscan H3 BR.

#7   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

god bless. Adding spread on a precision weapon. 343 truly never ceases to amaze me in how dumb they can be in game decisions. nerf rrr, nerf magnetism, hell nerf damage over distance, just don't make something fucking rng. 

#8   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

What other game developer would release changes to the weapon sandbox (test playlist, i know) and not even detail what they are? and just leave it up to the player to figure it out? it's fucking unheard of

and when we do play it we realise it is a starting weapon with random spread that feels horribly inconsistant

sakurai and the smash bros team. 

#9   Basu

Basu

• 1,864 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

For anyone wondering, the SmartScope bonuses on automatics are still there

Shitty evidence I know, but if you watch it closely you can see the spread gets tighter again as I zoom in.

#10   xSociety

xSociety

• 3,192 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Can anybody upload an entire round for us?

#11   xSociety

xSociety

• 3,192 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Yay. Random spread.

C L A S S I C H A L O

#12   Brutality

Brutality
  • Premium

• 1,907 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

DMR RRR is virtually non existent when unscoped. I was getting no auto aim on Coli from top snipe ramp to bottom snipe ramp

#13   Tactics

Tactics
  • Premium

• 976 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

So I haven't tested this but does the BR have spread or just a true burst fire weapon now? Cause I'm not seeing the problem with the latter if all 3 bullets land in the same spot if the reticle is stationary.

#14   PartyTimeItUp

PartyTimeItUp

• 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

So I haven't tested this but does the BR have spread or just a true burst fire weapon now? Cause I'm not seeing the problem with the latter if all 3 bullets land in the same spot if the reticle is stationary.

It has circular spread when hip firing. Bullets do not land in the same spot unless you are in close range.

#15   Basu

Basu

• 1,864 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Stationary reticle, from about 15m away. Not the end of the world, but I feel it regularly makes people survive that should have died. Having H3 flashbacks.

SHkVGR0.jpg

#16   Tactics

Tactics
  • Premium

• 976 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

So I guess they went the extra mile on this Halo 3 classic playlist then LOL.

#17   Tactics

Tactics
  • Premium

• 976 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

I don't like the spread but it seemed better than everyone and their brothers getting perfects left and right.

#18   Hard Way

Hard Way

Good Guy

• Premium

• 3,819 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

Seems like if you aim at their right collarbone you'll still be getting those perfects.

#19   TiberiusAudley

TiberiusAudley

• 5,425 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Seems like if you aim at their right collarbone you'll still be getting those perfects.

This is how you should always aim with weapons in Halo -- the outer circle is irrelevant.  Aim where the top of the inner circle touches their chin.

#20   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

This is how you should always aim with weapons in Halo -- the outer circle is irrelevant. Aim where the top of the inner circle touches their chin.

this does not work very well in halo1. It will give you a body shot a lot since it wont be magnetized to the head so it will hit the shoulders. Aiming the center at the visor will allow horizontal magnetism to bring it to the head.

#21   TiberiusAudley

TiberiusAudley

• 5,425 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

this does not work very well in halo1. It will give you a body shot a lot since it wont be magnetized to the head so it will hit the shoulders. Aiming the center at the visor will allow horizontal magnetism to bring it to the head.

That's not relevant to this discussion thread, which is about weapons in Halo 5.

#22   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,737 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

I sure would love it if we could tool around with these weapons in custom games....  Thats my main gripe with their approach here.

#23   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,513 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

SMG is still bullshit.

GL is still bullshit.

AR is a bit better, hard to tell considering there's only silenced AR pickups on a few maps.  BR feels good to play/with against but I swear I've been cheated out of a few kills by the spread already.  

DMR feels nice, Carbine feels sameish but noticeably harder.

Camo is awesome. 

Sniper/Storm Rifle/Splinters desperately need a nerf

#24   Lukes

Lukes

• 847 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

OMG, I'm so tired of shooting one shots with the BR and they just stare back at me like I'm shooting rubber bullets and then hide.

#25   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,737 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

After further consideration... the BR still sucks.  Sucks worse actually.  Thought (hoped) it might grow on me.  But nope.

its been so inconsistent.... are we sure its even still hitscan?

Unscoped RRR on the DMR is a bit too short.  RRR should at least be from one side top-snipe to the opposite side snipe ramp on Coli, but it's not.  Still feels good when it is within RRR.  Other changes to the gun are fine.

I'm still mostly ok with the SMG range, but firerate might be a tad high.  You can still usually thrust backwards and get enough time to kill someone with your BR.... as long as all the shots register.

AR still melts.  The tiniest bit of discipline with firing seems to negate every nerf.  This is my perspective from killing with it, but i have not had much chance to fight against it.  They really need to (gasp) fix the BR then have it as a pickup and run these weapons with default mag/AR starts.

Grenade launch is the same... once you adjust to the arc, which only takes a few shots, its the same as before.

Has anybody else experienced the "aiming during a gunfight" feeling better at mid range with less AA?  If i'm trying to adjust for a headshot, the reticle doesn't get "stuck".  But... as impossible as i though this would be... close range somehow feels worse across the board?