Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Law Breakers Discussion

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,603 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

I'm just saying the gun play "feels" like CoD or even Titanfall. And the nerfed/watered down special E/Q/Shift abilities feel like OW.

I would not say the gun play "feels" like DOOM, or Quake Champions, or Counterstrike, or Unreal, of Battlefield, because it doesn't even remotely feel like any of those.
But the Gunplay does feel like CoD and Titanfall to me. No doubt about it.

#27   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,244 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'm just saying the gun play "feels" like CoD or even Titanfall. And the nerfed/watered down special E/Q/Shift abilities feel like OW.

I would not say the gun play "feels" like DOOM, or Quake Champions, or Counterstrike, or Unreal, of Battlefield, because it doesn't even remotely feel like any of those.
But the Gunplay does feel like CoD and Titanfall to me. No doubt about it.

Well, you're opinion is wrong lol. I have no idea if you just played the generic soldier for a few games and concluded that but your opinion is wrong. You're the first person Ive seen who's said they played the game to say the gunplay feels like CoD.

LawBreakers is not Overwatch.

It seems you can’t release a class-based shooter with distinct heroes these days without it being compared to Overwatch. Nobody can deny Overwatch’s influence on the genre, but it’s a lot easier to see its effects on a game like Paladins than LawBreakers. So let’s get this out of the way first: LawBreakers is nothing like Overwatch.

It doesn’t clone its mechanics, focus, modes, aesthetics, or execution. The only thing the two have in common is that they both feature a colourful cast of characters. The same way a MOBA or – you know, Team Fortress 2 have had for years.

So what is it? LawBreakers is an arena shooter first and foremost. It’s unique in that its heroes aren’t balanced around set roles and different health pools, so much as they are around the different skills they require from the player.

In simple terms, all of LawBreaker’s nine heroes (eight in the beta) can damage and kill enemies with ease. The difference is that each of them requires mastery of movement and shooting mechanics unique to them. The heavier classes are just as vulnerable as the most agile if they don’t play to their strengths. The Assassin, the game’s grappling hook-wielding hero is near inescapable at close range, but the trick is that it’ll take you a while to master her controls enough to consistently hit players.

This is balanced out by her incredible speed, which makes her harder to hit when she’s moving, but a bit easier when she’s at the start of her swing. Even the Battle Medic, a role other games often equip with a healing beam and a meagre secondary, has a powerful grenade launcher and hover ability here – both exclusive to her – that allow her to lop grenades into a contested zone or shut down entry points.

Though some classes can be classified as support, there’s no equivalent of a Mercy or Symmetra here. Everyone has to get out and get kills or play the objective, everything else is secondary. If you really want to compare this approach with something, compare it with Quake Champions’. Even then, LawBreakers has the edge because it’s not trying to recreate an old success, and it’s not bound by decades-old rules and expectations........

The way characters move also matters in LawBreakers. Every hero’s main movement ability (Shift by default) is vastly different from the rest. Some characters are inherently better in the air than they are on the ground, but everyone has a gauge they need to keep an eye on that’s consumed in different ways. The opposite is true for others who work best dealing splash damage to stationary and slow heroes. There’s an ultimate ability for all heroes, and they’re often fun and satisfying to use.

I’d like to think we’re witnessing a renaissance in skill-based shooters, and the return of skill-based movement is a large part of that. LawBreakers represents the apex of this. Games like Titanfall 2, and Quake Champions don’t quite have this depth to their movement mechanics.

Here is a great article that EVERYONE comparing it to OW and the like should read instead of being ignorant asshats. This game has a UT 99' feel to it of controlled chaos, pure skill, lower TTK with emphasis on head-shots, speed, verticality in map design, and unique movement mechanics/weapons unlike other FPS of the time. Its a breath of fresh air in my opinion and its own game with its own rules. It can only get better in further updates and I am still having a blast playing when im finding games.

If more major video-game websites would conduct a thorough, thoughtful, review like this user has done  and spend less time talking about how its bad launch and how its trying to compete with OW maybe more people would give it a shot and be delightfully surprised by this excellent new FPS and the depth of the heroes and gameplay. But much like the UT series, it seems destined to be a hard game to "get" initially with a steep learning curve and definitely a game where the hardcore players "stand out" skill-wise compared to noobs. So those who dont dedicate the time to learning it never will understand why the fan-base is so die-hard and all the mechanical intricacies and inter-play of the game mechanics with each unique hero. https://www.vg247.co...ith-it-to-care/

#28   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,603 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

I've actually spent a lot of time playing with all the classes. It really just feels like a modern CoD or Titantfall game with zero-g elements, class based moment abilities, and watered-down Overwatchesqe class abilities.  

I love the game and think it has a lot of potential, it has cool game modes, and I wish I could find games easier. 

However, you can call me an asshat all you want. It's not going to convince me to agree the gun play is more similar to UT than CoD or Titanfall.  I've played them all extensively.  Take away movement and zero-g and the class abilities, and all you have left is a game with CoD/Titanfall gun play mechanics at its' core(albeit gun play mechanics with much higher skill gap due to no hand holding that comes with games designed for console). 

#29   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,171 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

@

It'd help if you elaborated on what exactly you meant by "CoD-like gunplay".

The only similarities I'm seeing here is that ground movement is a bit slow and the game is hitscan/automatic dominated.

#30   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,244 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

I've actually spent a lot of time playing with all the classes. It really just feels like a modern CoD or Titantfall game with zero-g elements, class based moment abilities, and watered-down Overwatchesqe class abilities.  

I love the game and think it has a lot of potential, it has cool game modes, and I wish I could find games easier. 

However, you can call me an asshat all you want. It's not going to convince me to agree the gun play is more similar to UT than CoD or Titanfall.  I've played them all extensively.  Take away movement and zero-g and the class abilities, and all you have left is a game with CoD/Titanfall gun play mechanics at its' core(albeit gun play mechanics with much higher skill gap due to no hand holding that comes with games designed for console). 

The speed, bunnyhops, low-g environments, aerial combat, dashes and dodging, gore, and lightning cannon are pretty UT-like. Im not going to go over every single hero and weapon but I would say a good 80-90 % of them can trace their roots to either the UT or Quake series inspired weaponry. Hell the dual pistols of the Gunslinger is pretty damn close to dual enforcers in UT even the rapid-fire alt mode is similar. The mini-gun is the gatling gun. Of course the rocket launcher with the homing rockets alt fire mode is a throwback to UT 99's infamous RL. Im kind of dissapointed they didn't include a sniper support hero that said "HEAD SHOT!" every-time you got a brainer because then it would really be like UT 99' imo. Even the maps are small-med size with TONS of more emphasis on verticality than OW much like an old-school Arena FPS. 

Furthermore, lots of what is behind Lawbreakers movement tricks and depth is Quake's rocketjump applied to an entire arsenal. It's not just a shooter that trades on verticality, but one in which almost every weapon,from the Enforcer's  carbine to the Assassin's fizzing shotgun,doubles as a means of traversal. They even did something with blindfire that has never been done before. In LawBreakers, blindfiring is all aggression. It pops your gun over your shoulder and blasts away to create momentum in a low gravity environment.The objective-focused play and lack of map pick-ups/restriction of only using two weapons is the "modern" shooter part of it but I would not classify LB anywhere near OW,CoD, or Tifanfall it is in fact an Arena shooter with some modern FPS mechanics.

#31   Nokterne

Nokterne

• 940 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Yeah this game screams UT to me. Only ever played '99, but it feels like they added depth to the zero gravity areas from that and put them in the middle of every map. It's really cool how you change your movement style and tactics as you move from normal gravity to zero gravity.

The art choices are growing on me as well, it's like the game isn't trying as hard to be friendly and likable. It has that dumb edginess/goofiness that most games have gotten rid of because they want to be taken super seriously. Visuals are a bit cluttered, would be nice if there were cleaner silhouettes to track against the hyper detailed geometry.

I didn't play before the 1.4 health buff, and am kinda wishing I had now based on how much faster the TTK was back then. Would love to see a revert or tone back on some of those changes.

Hope it manages to get a player base, I enjoy it more than any other PC shooter out there right now when a good lobby gets together.

#32   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Yeah this game screams UT to me. Only ever played '99, but it feels like they added depth to the zero gravity areas from that and put them in the middle of every map. It's really cool how you change your movement style and tactics as you move from normal gravity to zero gravity.

The art choices are growing on me as well, it's like the game isn't trying as hard to be friendly and likable. It has that dumb edginess/goofiness that most games have gotten rid of because they want to be taken super seriously. Visuals are a bit cluttered, would be nice if there were cleaner silhouettes to track against the hyper detailed geometry.

I didn't play before the 1.4 health buff, and am kinda wishing I had now based on how much faster the TTK was back then. Would love to see a revert or tone back on some of those changes.

Hope it manages to get a player base, I enjoy it more than any other PC shooter out there right now when a good lobby gets together.

I think they are in panic mode honestly. They realize they made a pretty sweaty, fast,high skill ceiling FPS with little to no marketing and for multiple reasons its obviously failing. People either have never heard of the game, have tried the game and got their ass kicked and decided it wasn't worth the effort(hence the steep learning curve), or the most idiotic but prevalent internet troll stereotype that its just a "lesser OW" IMO. It was also released and marketed(if u can even call it that) in the dead of Summer when alot of people just are not that interested in jumping into new games and gaming in general as much as they are near the holiday season. 

I was the biggest Lawbreakers skeptic until I played the beta and was pleasantly surprised by how fresh, fast, skill-based, and exciting it felt compared to every other FPS at the time(and yes thats includes OW). Its the best game Cliff Bleskinski has made(or overlooked I know Boss Key has many talented devs) since UT 2003/2004 in my opinion and it "redeemed" him in my eyes as he got back to making the fun,fast, wacky, explosive FPS style he was originally known for. He was always kind of a d-bag at times but I still respect him as a developer for doing his own thing again and leaving AAA and producing the game he wanted to make. He made the GOAT after-all UT 99' less the PC crowd not forget. There will always be a portion of fans though that enjoy seeing him fail because of his brashness/outspoken nature sort of like how it was with John Romero.

Anyways, Boss Key is planning a huge "All-star" Update for Lawbreakers that includes a ranked competitive mode and new maps. I think catching on as an e-sport should be the focus going forward if this game has any chance to make a come-back sort of like how SMITE and others caught on as e-sports late and built their player-base off of that. Clan MM would be cool too, but I like clans in every shooter I play thats just how I was raised.