Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds and Discussion‏

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10557 replies to this topic

#7376   The Tyco

The Tyco

• 474 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

@MultiLockOn

This is by far one of the most fucked up situations I've ever had the displeasure of reading. You may not know me, but as long as I've had an account here, I've grown to deeply respect your insight. I honest to God jumped for joy when the news came around that 343 hired you. I finally felt some semblance of joy that Halo might have a brighter future. That there's at least ONE person that gives a shit in that worthless company. That joy has yet again been ripped away. Halo deserves better. This community deserves better. YOU deserve better.

If I hated 343 before, they now disgust me immeasurably. I will never buy another 343 product again. Halo will forever be dead to me under their tenure. This is an absolute promise.

#7377   Shekkles

Shekkles

Humble purveyor and seeker of the finest sarcasm.

• 4,875 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

POPULAR

A few reporters from some behemoth websites have been attempting to contact me to get further details about this. I've turned them down because 1: despite my historic disapproval for 343 and disdain of the current situation, I don't wish them any further bad PR.  That wasn't my goal with my initial post and I wish people would read it more closely. And 2: In some strange way in a weird universe I'm still striving for the opportunity to work on Halo.  I've never wanted to personally target anyone there nor do I now.  I understand why the situation has played out in the way it did.  If there's anyone at 343 that feels personally attacked by anything I've said, I apologize. And I wish the entire studio the best of luck. Their team made the decision they should have made based on the information I had given them about my character.

Props for holding back when you have the opportunity to flame grill them. That level of maturity is needed at 343.

Oh wait...

#7378   SelfishWeiner

SelfishWeiner

• 62 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

@MultiLockOn

Halo deserves better. This community deserves better. YOU deserve better.

If I hated 343 before, they now disgust me immeasurably. I will never buy another 343 product again. Halo will forever be dead to me under their tenure. This is an absolute promise.

The only reason I'm still engaging with this franchise at all is through some false hope that Halo will rise again. 343's endless list of abhorrently bad decisions has now assured me that they, as a company, do not have the capacity to do this. 

#7379   Craneteam

Craneteam
  • Premium

• 3,736 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

A few reporters from some behemoth websites have been attempting to contact me to get further details about this. I've turned them down because 1: despite my historic disapproval for 343 and disdain of the current situation, I don't wish them any further bad PR. That wasn't my goal with my initial post and I wish people would read it more closely. And 2: In some strange way in a weird universe I'm still striving for the opportunity to work on Halo. I've never wanted to personally target anyone there nor do I now. I understand why the situation has played out in the way it did. If there's anyone at 343 that feels personally attacked by anything I've said, I apologize. And I wish the entire studio the best of luck. Their team made the decision they should have made based on the information I had given them about my character.

You could always point them to your initial post which is not negative or critical but informative and well written. Honestly people need to know this about 343 (and i guess other studios might do this??) so that they know that past forum posts are fair game when it comes to getting hired. even after a successful interview (im assuming there were probably several of them) and an offer letter

#7380   belucheez

belucheez

• 870 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

GGfoxx seems like a good guy.

7de07f13ec.png

This dude was posting some obvious bullshit when the first HWC was going on. He claimed Halo had well over 500k viewers or something like that but never provided any proof. (edit: His quote was actually "X-Games had 100k across all platforms" I was way off haha)He constantly posts fake bullshit on the /r/esports subreddit (which isn't extremely active at least.) 

edit: This is one of my favorites. https://www.reddit.c...v_and_halo_now/

and the comment section in this one lmao https://www.reddit.c...0fru/?context=3

#7381   NavG123

NavG123

• 3,315 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

You know, I'm really starting to think this GGFoxx guy may not be that good of a person.

#7382   pddschild

pddschild

• 310 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like Greenskull is about to get a job at 343

#7383   NavG123

NavG123

• 3,315 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like Greenskull is about to get a job at 343

Greenskull

GGFoxx

Whatever. Probably a coincidence.

#7384   PheoPrime

PheoPrime

• 236 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

What can 343 do to gain the community's trust back? It's getting harder as time goes by. So many mistakes that are easily avoidable.  :(

#7385   Frostbite XV2

Frostbite XV2

Beyond Writer

• Premium

• 2,594 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

A few reporters from some behemoth websites have been attempting to contact me to get further details about this. I've turned them down because 1: despite my historic disapproval for 343 and disdain of the current situation, I don't wish them any further bad PR.  That wasn't my goal with my initial post and I wish people would read it more closely. And 2: In some strange way in a weird universe I'm still striving for the opportunity to work on Halo.  I've never wanted to personally target anyone there nor do I now.  I understand why the situation has played out in the way it did.  If there's anyone at 343 that feels personally attacked by anything I've said, I apologize. And I wish the entire studio the best of luck. Their team made the decision they should have made based on the information I had given them about my character.

Part of me wishes you would just tear them a new one. 

The rest of me understands why you won't. Best of luck in the future, can't wait to see your future accomplishments.

I'm sure they'll be better than anything 343 can ever dream of putting together anyways. 

#7386   NavG123

NavG123

• 3,315 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

What can 343 do to gain the community's trust back? It's getting harder as time goes by. So many mistakes that are easily avoidable.  :(

Its been 6 years since they took this game on and this is where we're at with them. If you have any trust left with them, it's because you have a belief that after 6 years of consistently making the mistakes they've made, they're still capable of turning it around.

I'm sure there are plenty of hard-working and good people at 343. But as a consumer, I only care about the results.

Personally, I can't believe that a company who has failed to show any appreciable improvement in that time-scale is going to deliver.

#7387   Twisted M

Twisted M

• 177 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

If I was management, I would have just sat everyone down in a 5 minute meeting, explained what was said, and let Multi say his peace. Let everyone know it was a post out of fruatration due to his passion for the series, acknowledge it was stupid and immature, and move forward from there at restoring Halo. Corporate world is like a big high school. Gossip, egos, rumors, etc. Say one wrong thing and you're now unpopular. Stupid stuff.

#7388   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,726 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

POPULAR

0OupAJA.jpg

#7389   Craneteam

Craneteam
  • Premium

• 3,736 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

POPULAR

f79okFQ.png

#7390   legendaryshotz

legendaryshotz

da blackhawks

• 9,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

POPULAR

We live in times where a forum post means more than robbing people of millions of dollars releasing a broken piece of shit game (MCC).

#7391   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,726 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

POPULAR

We live in times where a forum post means more than robbing people of millions of dollars releasing a broken piece of shit game (MCC).

And the president can say shit like "grab them by the pussy." Multi never grabbed anyone by the pussy.  

He's just passionate about Halo and is getting punished for it.  

#7392   Forerunner55

Forerunner55

• 371 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Heard what happened with multi. You have my sympathy.

What was the comment?

#7393   Munoz

Munoz

• 211 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

So glad my halo2forum handle was a random, 06 was an edgy fucking year.

Still upset I never found out what "Z" looked like.

#7394   OGreenWall

OGreenWall

• 497 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

lol have fun editing that profile pic

#7395   Exidrion

Exidrion

• 1,400 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:37 PM

Still upset I never found out what "Z" looked like.

There are...pictures. There's no coincidence there was a halo 2 clan called "Hindu singles."  :D

#7396   Larry Sizemore

Larry Sizemore

• 1,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

I guess hating 343 because of X doesn't carry the same water up there as hating Halo because of X. :'(

#7397   LorTarkam

LorTarkam

• 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:33 PM

Here's my two cents on the matter.

343 was wrong to not do a thorough background search with this guy in the community. Offering the job and then snatching the opportunity away really sucks.

However, I can understand why they're going back on it. His comments and videos in the past were pretty toxic to both 343 ("none of them deserve their jobs" - incredibly ignorant) and the CCs. Behavior like that can be read as signs of hot-headedness, difficulty working with people that he doesn't like, immaturity and especially a big PR risk.

I'm not a game developer, but it makes sense to me for a company to turn someone away if they seem like they wouldn't be able to work as a team with your employees and could potentially make your company look bad with behavior. 

#7398   wow

wow

0 WARNING POINTS

• 2,616 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:42 PM

Hey guys, I wanted to update you all on my situation with 343.

This is a little embarrassing and I've struggled back and forth about posting this publicly but I think it's best if I explain this once to everyone, and not a hundred times individually. As of yesterday 343 revoked their offer to me as a level designer. It seems that they weren't pleased with the way I've criticized them in the past between my posts on Forgehub and Beyond.  So whoever made the anonymous account on r/halo and posted screenshots of old posts, well...congrats! You won. In fact you won to the extent so that I already quit my prior job, sold my place in California, placed a $2500 payment on an apartment in Bellevue Washington (among other expenses), and began transporting my belongings up there.  Only to find out from the agency I was working under that my offer was withdrawn.  Which puts me in a tricky position where I am both unemployed (no Treyarch or 343) and scrambling to find some place to live - as I had briefly moved my belongings to my parents during this weird transition phase. So life has definitely thrown me a curve ball here.

Now hear me, I'm not looking for pity.  I believe I'm currently reaping what I've sowed; and it's not that I regret criticizing 343 publicly in the past because they are not above reproach - they know this as well.  But rather the way I've gone about it could always have been more...professional.  At least considering that my goal has always been to be in the industry I should've held myself to a higher standard (if that's not your goal then flame on).  I suppose a little patience over the years could have gone a long way in this moment.  I just wish communication would have been a bit clearer going either way to have avoided the pickle I'm currently in.  

The expenses isn't the bad part; I can deal with that.  I have no doubt I can find another level design job in the industry given time.  The aspect of this that really drives home is that this was Halo.  After all these years of forging, I thought what I wanted was 1: a proper editor without boundaries, 2:to be a professional.  It wasn't until I was sitting at Treyarch working on the highest grossing video game franchise in the world with every ounce of dev power at my disposal did I realize that it wasn't about the editor, or the money, or the prestige.  In fact after a 12 hour work day at Treyarch I would commute 3 hours home, sit down in front of my xbox, and start forging.  And I think it was in that moment that everything really clicked - nothing really matters unless you're building for the game you love. And for as long as I can remember it's been Halo, it's always been Halo.  All the dev tools in the world couldn't drive me away from clunking blocks together in forge just to have a single good 2v2 match before I knocked out for the night.  People always ask me why I play so much Halo 5 (Level 142) if all I do is bitch about it.  Well, I'd rather play a Halo game I hate than the greatest Battlefield game out there.  Or the best Call of Duty.  Or the best such and such.  Even with all the frivolous mechanics that have entered the franchise in the past decade that I don't agree with, the simple ebb and flow of a good pistol battle is something that you're not going to find elsewhere.

I was excited to leave my cushy Southern California to go to rainy Washington, I was excited to take a ~$10,000 paycut.  I was excited because I had finally made it to the place I felt like I was born to be in; Halo.  And honestly that's all that mattered to me - working on the franchise that I loved.  So to essentially already be in the door and then pushed back out is....difficult.  And even more difficult knowing that this is essentially a forever no, a "you insulted our franchise and employees and will probably never get a chance to work here" no. It's disheartening to the point where I'm not even sure if I want to pursue another position in the game industry at this point.  In the back of my head no matter where I worked I always knew I wanted to end at Halo.  That's what I love, that's where my strongest talents lie, and that's what I know.  So to have the reality spelled out for me where that position will likely never happen is a hard pill to swallow right now.

The few conversations I had with Tom French were delightful.  The man was incredibly friendly, welcoming, understanding.  I have no doubt that he would be a pleasure to work with and a great man to work under.  But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm sorry this didn't end up playing out.  I was as excited as any of you were to contribute to the franchise and hopefully really design maps that would stand the test of time, I wanted to really make this franchise the juggernaut we all know it can be.  So, sorry to let everyone down. This one was on me.

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of posts over a lot of mediums (holy shit) that are pointing to my past post history. I just want to reiterate:

It would not be hard to find comments deemed unacceptable through my post history on any forum.  I am aware of this, as I've been more than blunt in the past.  Many of these comments made out of anger, and many as drive-by comments with no context other than my poor attitude.  I've never denied this, and I don't blame them for making the decision they did.  It's understandable. 

I also don't believe my forum persona reflects my actual personality and ability to work in teams.  Yes this is a bummer but I could hardly expect anyone making the hiring decision to base me off of anything except what I've given them to see me by.  This is the persona they know because I provided it to them.  Man makes dumb comments online, man loses job.  Tale as old as time.  What's new.

:lxthul:   :salt:

#7399   skylerlames

skylerlames

• 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:50 PM

Just when you think 343 can't get worse

#7400   ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• 769 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

Just when you think 343 can't get worse

Soon owning your own shovel will be a requirement to work at 343, because they really love digging themselves deeper!