Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds and Discussion‏

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10557 replies to this topic

#7276   Saucey

Saucey
  • Admin

• 7,505 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

This Multi situation is absurd - both in how the community attempted to sabotage his opportunity and in how 343 handled his offer. 

I get it - he harshly criticized both 343 and the employees - that might make it hard for some people to work with him and could cause some internal conflict or resentment... but at the same time, he obviously has the talent and was a good enough fit to receive an offer. 

As was my experience at 343... it seems you cannot win with Halo. Being a long time member of the community both helps and hurts.

You know shit is messed up when I am upvoting a heytred post

Spoiler

#7277   cfisk

cfisk

• 892 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

POPULAR

I'm honestly impressed that 343 continues to find new ways to disappoint the community

#7278   Drood

Drood
  • Premium

• 62 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Well, so much for 343 having "nice people".

#7279   siddysid

siddysid

• 1,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

POPULAR

People from all backgrounds worked on halo 4 which is why it turned out so good. Look at the innovative features they added to that game! Even the worst critics can't deny the story was great. And don't forget spartan ops. Sad to see them get hate for it. Ending the chief-cortana storyline was a smart move in hindsight. 

Halo mcc was good too. I remember loading that game up and playing it all night! Reach may have been missing but the other halos in that package made up for it. Even h1-3 (far inferior to the newer ones) played well on it. 

Maybe the best game though is halo 5. Excellent in all aspects.

3 games thus far all of which have been successful. 4 true fans there's nothing more satisfying than playing a halo game made after bungie left. 3 more games in the reclaimer saga, cant wait! 

#7280   FlizzyFletch

FlizzyFletch

• 1,338 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

Seriously, don't. Ive got great family in the area I can stay with until I figure something out. And I always figure something out :)

I dont know you, but god damnit do I respect you. 

Dont give up on the industry. Its where you belong. You'll find a new home. I have friends at a handful of AAA studios, if you need connections, hit my DM's. I cant vouch for you, but I can make the introduction and let your work speak for itself. 

Good luck my guy. 

#7281   Torlain

Torlain

#Sustain

• Premium

• 520 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

People from all backgrounds worked on halo 4 which is why it turned out so good. Look at the innovative features they added to that game! Even the worst critics can't deny the story was great. And don't forget spartan ops. Sad to see them get hate for it. Ending the chief-cortana storyline was a smart move in hindsight. 

Halo mcc was good too. I remember loading that game up and playing it all night! Reach may have been missing but the other halos in that package made up for it. Even h1-3 (far inferior to the newer ones) played well on it. 

3 games thus far all of which have been successful. 4 true fans there's nothing more satisfying than playing a halo game made after bungie left. 3 more games in the reclaimer saga, cant wait! 

eh... sounds like i'm not a 'true fan' or i'm particularly blind to your sarcasm font.

#7282   Computer

Computer

• 702 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

343 = yes men. Halo is corporate. It lost its Haloness long ago. One more thing. The 10th-anniversary stream for Halo 3 was a joke of a celebration. looked like a very half-assed hardly thought out last minute idea. 

#7283   ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• 769 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

POPULAR

The funny thing is, hiring someone who was previously critical of you, would give the community more confidence in what he said specifically because they know he was so critical in the past. Like, if they hired GreenSkull and he was like "Halo 6 is looking really great", I wouldn't lend much weight to it because he thinks everything 343 does is great. If Multi said the same thing, I would be much more inclined to believe it.

MULTILOCKON HAS UNITED US. WAR IS NOT WAGED AGAINST BOYO ON THIS BITTERSWEET DAY.

PRAISE BE!

#7284   ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• 769 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

I don't know if I should be hitting the upvote or downvote button.

#7285   overuled

overuled

The Villainous Type

• 1,484 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

POPULAR

Hiring people who challenge your ideas and vision is a good thing. Otherwise you’re just adding another dick to the circle.

#7286   Ciutchism

Ciutchism

• 821 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

POPULAR

Honestly probably a blessing. Everybody that's intelligent is leaving Halo. I know it'd probably be amazing to work on the game that you love, but there's no way it's not a hostile work environment when you can't even constructively talk about anything. And honestly half the people at 343i probably don't deserve their job.

#7287   siddysid

siddysid

• 1,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

POPULAR

hey wait what the fuck shitlin got banned? lol

#7288   TeeJaY

TeeJaY

Breakout Warrior

• 863 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Who's the one missing out, here? Because as far as I can tell, it's 343.

If they got extremely sensitive over some old posts, just imagine how they'd respond if you tried to be critical in the actual workplace.

#7289   heytred

heytred

• 548 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

You know shit is messed up when I am upvoting a heytred post

Spoiler

2017 has been a weird year. 

#7290   Ciutchism

Ciutchism

• 821 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

Lets count all the great things 343i has done since they took over (not including fixing their own mistakes like re adding descope/ranking system):

-No Bloom, No Sprint Halo Reach

-Extraction

-MASSIVE Forge Improvements

-Server Browser

-Spectator Mode (Kinda works I guess)

#7291   ChieftaiNZ

ChieftaiNZ

• 769 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

So what had 343 learned today. Probably nothing based on the last 6 years they've been at the helm.

But anyway, this is what they should've learned

• Do your background/internet searches before offering the job in the first place, or else you are going to get reactions like this from an industry full of passionate fans.

What I've learned.

• They either did the background check or not, and if they did, they were cool with it originally and were willing to give him chance, and this is the fastest they've reacted to someone having negative opinions on their decisions.

#7292   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,726 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

#freecooperandrehiremulti

#7293   Basu

Basu

• 1,864 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Very interested in seeing some sort of response from 343.

There probably won't be one, especially because he was never officially part of 343. Companies usually don't talk about hiring/employee issues publicly.

#7294   XaVi3r

XaVi3r
  • Premium

• 628 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

343 gunna 343.

Being grown adults and not being able to handle some internet criticism must be a sad existence.

#7295   Zavehi

Zavehi
  • Premium

• 1,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Whoever this guy is, he posts a decent amount of shit from this thread on reddit and apparently is active enough to have had premium.

d940f95e24.png

#7296   CyReN

CyReN

Ð

• Admin

• 16,483 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

This was posted over at NeoGAF

5f17c1ced4195cb30d4d3cca2161fd90.png

http://www.neogaf.co...3&postcount=429

*popcorn gif*

#7297   xXandrith

xXandrith

• 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

POPULAR

I've known Christian (Multi) for about two years now, and I can confidently say that he is probably the best overall forger there has ever been. I literally can't say this on Forgehub (where I usually post) because the imbeciles over there will just accuse me of being a dick-riding fanboy all day and the site owner straight up bans people he disagree's with... but I digress.

It really sucks that he won't be saving Halo anytime soon, but I honestly think that Christian will go on to do much, much more important work as far as the gaming industry and competitive shooters are concerned. He has an incredible and seemingly abstract understanding of level design, and as a designer myself I have learned over time that to truly understand level design, you have to understand how the game works all the way down to player psychology. It is for these reasons and more that I wouldn't trust anyone else but Christian to start a true reformation of this industry, and it's about damn time we had one.

Anyways, you'll do great things and I'll be right here watching man.

#7298   TonyDHFC

TonyDHFC
  • Premium

• 885 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Man I probably need to keep an eye on my moods at the moment with my medication, but for MultiLockOn, I dont know you personally, but my anger is obvious for you. Whoever the fuck honestly thought what they did was clever or good. I'm heartbroken for you in ways.

343 need to wake up a little. You will have critics, both in and out of the company, wake up and smell the coffee.

Didn't Gandhi call out the Smite team for hiring AGL Brad? Now he's one of their higher up employees (not to cause disputes, just stating a previous thing I believe he did a video but cant link via mobile).

#7299   Moyceyy

Moyceyy

• 1,137 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

This was posted over at NeoGAF

5f17c1ced4195cb30d4d3cca2161fd90.png

http://www.neogaf.co...3&postcount=429

*popcorn gif*

Jesus, who fucking cares! If hes got talent, let him on board. 

Quinn had nothing to do with the hiring process and has only been kind to me.

I don't blame 343, seriously. I just wish I had shown more self control in the past. They did what they were supposed to do. The money isn't an issue, things will work out on that end in some way. I'm mostly just disappointed with myself.

Fair play to your professionalism, if I was you I'd be at 343's HQ murdering everyone with a pterodactyl tooth.

#7300   Bdog

Bdog

• 336 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

POPULAR

Hey guys, I wanted to update you all on my situation with 343.

This is a little embarrassing and I've struggled back and forth about posting this publicly but I think it's best if I explain this once to everyone, and not a hundred times individually. As of yesterday 343 revoked their offer to me as a level designer. It seems that they weren't pleased with the way I've criticized them in the past between my posts on Forgehub and Beyond.  So whoever made the anonymous account on r/halo and posted screenshots of old posts, well...congrats! You won. In fact you won to the extent so that I already quit my prior job, sold my place in California, placed a $2500 payment on an apartment in Bellevue Washington (among other expenses), and began transporting my belongings up there.  Only to find out from the agency I was working under that my offer was withdrawn.  Which puts me in a tricky position where I am both unemployed (no Treyarch or 343) and scrambling to find some place to live - as I had briefly moved my belongings to my parents during this weird transition phase. So life has definitely thrown me a curve ball here.

Now hear me, I'm not looking for pity.  I believe I'm currently reaping what I've sowed; and it's not that I regret criticizing 343 publicly in the past because they are not above reproach - they know this as well.  But rather the way I've gone about it could always have been more...professional.  At least considering that my goal has always been to be in the industry I should've held myself to a higher standard (if that's not your goal then flame on).  I suppose a little patience over the years could have gone a long way in this moment.  I just wish communication would have been a bit clearer going either way to have avoided the pickle I'm currently in.  

The expenses isn't the bad part; I can deal with that.  I have no doubt I can find another level design job in the industry given time.  The aspect of this that really drives home is that this was Halo.  After all these years of forging, I thought what I wanted was 1: a proper editor without boundaries, 2:to be a professional.  It wasn't until I was sitting at Treyarch working on the highest grossing video game franchise in the world with every ounce of dev power at my disposal did I realize that it wasn't about the editor, or the money, or the prestige.  In fact after a 12 hour work day at Treyarch I would commute 3 hours home, sit down in front of my xbox, and start forging.  And I think it was in that moment that everything really clicked - nothing really matters unless you're building for the game you love. And for as long as I can remember it's been Halo, it's always been Halo.  All the dev tools in the world couldn't drive me away from clunking blocks together in forge just to have a single good 2v2 match before I knocked out for the night.  People always ask me why I play so much Halo 5 (Level 142) if all I do is bitch about it.  Well, I'd rather play a Halo game I hate than the greatest Battlefield game out there.  Or the best Call of Duty.  Or the best such and such.  Even with all the frivolous mechanics that have entered the franchise in the past decade that I don't agree with, the simple ebb and flow of a good pistol battle is something that you're not going to find elsewhere.

I was excited to leave my cushy Southern California to go to rainy Washington, I was excited to take a ~$10,000 paycut.  I was excited because I had finally made it to the place I felt like I was born to be in; Halo.  And honestly that's all that mattered to me - working on the franchise that I loved.  So to essentially already be in the door and then pushed back out is....difficult.  And even more difficult knowing that this is essentially a forever no, a "you insulted our franchise and employees and will probably never get a chance to work here" no. It's disheartening to the point where I'm not even sure if I want to pursue another position in the game industry at this point.  In the back of my head no matter where I worked I always knew I wanted to end at Halo.  That's what I love, that's where my strongest talents lie, and that's what I know.  So to have the reality spelled out for me where that position will likely never happen is a hard pill to swallow right now.

The few conversations I had with Tom French were delightful.  The man was incredibly friendly, welcoming, understanding.  I have no doubt that he would be a pleasure to work with and a great man to work under.  But I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm sorry this didn't end up playing out.  I was as excited as any of you were to contribute to the franchise and hopefully really design maps that would stand the test of time, I wanted to really make this franchise the juggernaut we all know it can be.  So, sorry to let everyone down.

I'm logging in to my account for the first time in like 2 years just to say holy shit, 343 never ceases to amaze me. I don't know how people still give them money.