Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fixed Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1   Elektron

Elektron

• 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

Has anyone had any experience with this type of internet? Is it usable for gaming?

I'm going to be moving soon and this may be able to be all that I can get in my area. 

Thanks for any help.

#2   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Super Fruit

• Premium

• 6,369 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Wireless latency will always be higher because of all the error-correction happening. Don't believe anyone who says "oh the connections are beam-focused, so they're more reliable", that's horse shit. Your connection will also have a susceptibility to interference from environmental factors such as weather. 

#3   Elektron

Elektron

• 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

Wireless latency will always be higher because of all the error-correction happening. Don't believe anyone who says "oh the connections are beam-focused, so they're more reliable", that's horse shit. Your connection will also have a susceptibility to interference from environmental factors such as weather. 

Thanks for the response. It's hard finding info about this type of internet from people who have actual experience with using it for gaming or know what they are talking about.

Do you know if it would be any better than satellite or if satellite is even usable? I had three options to choose from for fixed wireless and the two that I have contacted so far said I wouldn't be in their service area or that they are at capacity. My only other option would be satellite. Looking pretty grim.

#4   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Super Fruit

• Premium

• 6,369 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the response. It's hard finding info about this type of internet from people who have actual experience with using it for gaming or know what they are talking about.

Do you know if it would be any better than satellite or if satellite is even usable? I had three options to choose from for fixed wireless and the two that I have contacted so far said I wouldn't be in their service area or that they are at capacity. My only other option would be satellite. Looking pretty grim.

Satellite would be even worse because it's being phoned in from a much, much larger distance with even more environment there to fuck wit ur signalz, plus I don't think satellite bandwidth is for shit. 

I think fixed wireless will be what you have to go with. It will not be ideal but it might not be completely unusable? 

#5   El Vortex

El Vortex

[Insert Title Here]

• Premium

• 3,174 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

It will work just ok but you will be susceptible to inconsistencies every so often.

#6   Elektron

Elektron

• 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

Alright. Thanks for the help guys.

#7   Andrew101

Andrew101

• 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

I wouldn't use wireless for gaming. I prefer wired connection at all time. That way there is no way possible your internet can disconnect

#8   Elektron

Elektron

• 20 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

I wouldn't use wireless for gaming. I prefer wired connection at all time. That way there is no way possible your internet can disconnect

Fixed wireless isn't like using wi-fi to connect your xbox to the internet. It's just a different type of internet service utilizing microwaves to nearby line of site towers.

I've found that it's basically in between satellite and DSL/Fiber land lines.