Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reflex - Arena FPS Discussion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

maxresdefault.jpg

This is Reflex. Reflex is a modern homage to the old Arena FPS's, taking particular inspiration from the CPMA mod of Quake 3. This isn't the same game, as there are many new movement options previously unseen in other Quake games or even other Arena FPS's in general.

From the game's Steam page:
"Reflex is a competitive Arena FPS that combines modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of a 90s shooter. If you sunk countless hours into the Quake or Unreal series, Reflex will feel like a welcome return of the old school shooter feel."

RawTimelyBighornsheep-size_restricted.gi

The game is still in Early Access, but has added many features such as

- custom HUD and visual widgets
- Steam Workshop integration
- Matchmaking
- integrated and supported Community Maps
- Armor and Melee weapon customization
- Ranks

with more coming up. This game as of 1/11/17 has just gone to Version 0.48, so there is still much to go before this game is completely finished. However, I strongly recommend this game to all diehard Quakers, and I hope to see y'all in the arena sometime.

Reflex Discord

For those needing some help getting started, these are some great resources to understand what you're getting into:

DeficientInsecureJay-size_restricted.gif

#2   QuietMan

QuietMan

0118 999 88199 9119 725 3

• 2,726 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Nice post Kill.  I had a blast playing this game and it keeps popping back into my mind and I'm itching to play it more, especially with MM added in the latest patch. One of things I thought was really cool are the little ledges in the walls that are painted different colors signifying you can jump high off of them if you time it right. The gameplay is really fast and it feels REALLY satisfying when you get multi-kills. Melee kills are also really satifying because they are really hard to perform, but are deadly when you make contact.  I'ts got a good mix of challenging weapons too. All around it looks like it has a LOT of potential. Already in really great shape for Early Access. 

#3   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,249 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

Game looks like Q3 CPMA 2.0, awesome! How is the competitive scene shaping up for this game? I have been playing more UT4 alpha as of late but Reflex looks like it could be a great duel game.

#4   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,391 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

Game looks like Q3 CPMA 2.0, awesome! How is the competitive scene shaping up for this game? I have been playing more UT4 alpha as of late but Reflex looks like it could be a great duel game.

Pretty small but very dedicated players. 

If you liked CPMA you will love this one.

#5   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,249 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:53 AM

Pretty small but very dedicated players. 

If you liked CPMA you will love this one.

I feel like I would be so bad at a CPMA-style FPS these days. I know I have the experience/mind to still play, but the reflexes and aim have gone considerably(or maybe I am just out of practice? :thinking: ). Getting old(in FPS years anyways) sucks! I remember a day when I would go 6 hours straight playing Q3A and then log onto RS to play clan matches(or vanilla WoW raids if I was spent) but now its hard for me to manage 3 even on non-busy days! But that doesn't stop me from trying and being involved in the scene, after all older guys like Fata1ity still own at AFPS games not because they have the best aim but because they can constantly out-think the opponent. I always admired that aspect of his game the most. I refuse to become another causality of the Quake retirement home aka Overwatch!  :Beyond Dead: As Anarki would say "Hey, Hitman! Old, slow and ugly is no way to go through life, d00d." lol  :laughing:

#6   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

I feel like I would be so bad at a CPMA-style FPS these days. I know I have the experience/mind to still play, but the reflexes and aim have gone considerably(or maybe I am just out of practice? :thinking: ). Getting old(in FPS years anyways) sucks! I remember a day when I would go 6 hours straight playing Q3A and then log onto RS to play clan matches(or vanilla WoW raids if I was spent) but now its hard for me to manage 3 even on non-busy days! But that doesn't stop me from trying and being involved in the scene, after all older guys like Fata1ity still own at AFPS games not because they have the best aim but because they can constantly out-think the opponent. I always admired that aspect of his game the most. I refuse to become another causality of the Quake retirement home aka Overwatch!  :Beyond Dead: As Anarki would say "Hey, Hitman! Old, slow and ugly is no way to go through life, d00d." lol  :laughing:

Hey man there are plenty of old timers in here, some who have played Quake since the start like 20 years ago. You'll get all your skills back in no time, and the game could use any and all new players ;)

#7   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,249 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

Hey man there are plenty of old timers in here, some who have played Quake since the start like 20 years ago. You'll get all your skills back in no time, and the game could use any and all new players ;)

Believe me, thats what I told myself when I first started playing UT4 pre-alpha, 9 months later and my skills seem to still be MIA lol. I was used to being in the top 1/4th of the leader-board every game in the UT glory days and now if im in the top half I consider that a great accomplishment!  :flip: I used to make Sapphire and the rest of her pretentious God-like bot crew my bitch(John Romero style) on a regular basis now hard bots give me fits! At this rate I will end up the designated healer champion in the new Quake! :kappa:  I will give Reflex a try though when its fully finished, just too busy with life/other games right now to commit the time necessary to be competent.

#8   fascination

fascination

• 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

I've never been able to play quake I heard it's pretty fun.... Lol

#9   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,663 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

The official launch date has been confirmed. :ace:

#10   Delementary

Delementary

Passionate Objectivity

• Premium

• 167 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

Hey guys, it's been a really long time since I posted here but I wanted to drop in to hype up Reflex. After Halo 5 launched I kinda dropped off the grid on all things Halo and really started focusing on PC gaming. I ended up landing on Reflex last December and have been playing it almost every day since then. Since the game is launching today I want to encourage everyone to try it!

Reflex is a pretty ridiculous game. Really, really fun... but almost too much for a lot of people. Quite frankly a lot of my friends have told me it's too hard, but I figured that wouldn't discourage anyone here. The skill cap is to the moon, and coupled with the best netcode of any shooter currently available, there is no room for error. It's a brutally revealing experience .Good players roflstomp the living shit out of worse players...but the grind is worth it, and improvement happens fast and is satisfying. 

The movement system is a highlight. Gameplay is fast because the movement system is so fluid, and 100% skill based. As in, better players will constantly move faster than worse players. A combination of mouse movement and keyboard presses controls strafe jumping, bunny hopping, etc. which accelerates you. This combines with different types of jumps for crazy but challenging freedom of movement. I compare it as a muscle memory skill similar to spray control in Counterstrike.

As far as features go - at launch it's got pretty much everything you'd expect...ranked + social matchmaking, competitive season play, replay editor, live spectating, LAN support, endless config and UI customization, map editor, bots, and plenty more.

This game is what I was always trying to get out of Halo. They are very different but fundamentally share a lot of traits. Your map awareness and positioning skills will transfer. Learning the movement and weapon effectiveness is a blast. It's essentially Halo on a cocaine milkshake. Fast as hell. Hope you guys will check it out!

If anyone needs help learning the ropes feel free to add me on Steam, I'm in the Beyond steam group.

#11   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

Hey guys, it's been a really long time since I posted here but I wanted to drop in to hype up Reflex. After Halo 5 launched I kinda dropped off the grid on all things Halo and really started focusing on PC gaming. I ended up landing on Reflex last December and have been playing it almost every day since then. Since the game is launching today I want to encourage everyone to try it!

Reflex is a pretty ridiculous game. Really, really fun... but almost too much for a lot of people. Quite frankly a lot of my friends have told me it's too hard, but I figured that wouldn't discourage anyone here. The skill cap is to the moon, and coupled with the best netcode of any shooter currently available, there is no room for error. It's a brutally revealing experience .Good players roflstomp the living shit out of worse players...but the grind is worth it, and improvement happens fast and is satisfying. 

The movement system is a highlight. Gameplay is fast because the movement system is so fluid, and 100% skill based. As in, better players will constantly move faster than worse players. A combination of mouse movement and keyboard presses controls strafe jumping, bunny hopping, etc. which accelerates you. This combines with different types of jumps for crazy but challenging freedom of movement. I compare it as a muscle memory skill similar to spray control in Counterstrike.

As far as features go - at launch it's got pretty much everything you'd expect...ranked + social matchmaking, competitive season play, replay editor, live spectating, LAN support, endless config and UI customization, map editor, bots, and plenty more.

This game is what I was always trying to get out of Halo. They are very different but fundamentally share a lot of traits. Your map awareness and positioning skills will transfer. Learning the movement and weapon effectiveness is a blast. It's essentially Halo on a cocaine milkshake. Fast as hell. Hope you guys will check it out!

If anyone needs help learning the ropes feel free to add me on Steam, I'm in the Beyond steam group.

Nice to see you post again dude.

For real if anyone is checking this thread, Del's the real deal and has casted tournaments like the Bunny Cup. Knows a thing or two. 

I think anybody who wants more arena in their shooter and is burnt by Halo will love this game.

#12   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,513 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

Can it run on shit pc's

#13   S0UL FLAME

S0UL FLAME

• 1,265 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Can it run on shit pc's

Yes. Evidence? My shitty PC.

#14   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,663 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

Can it run on shit pc's

I was able to get ~120fps at 720p on an i7 2600 and a Radeon HD 6770. So, yes. The game is very well optimized.

#15   plasmadan

plasmadan

• 307 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

Update 1.1

https://www.reflexar...4/reflex-1-1-0/

Notable Changes:

• ​added an announcer (sounds like a transformer, sounds pretty cool not cringey)
  • added drop in/force out in casual mm (before players couldn't join casual mm games in progress)
  • art change to furnace duel map (made it a japanese theme)