Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quake Champions Discussion

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#201   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,206 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

S H I E L D  M A N

#UnrealQuakeWatch

WE KNEW IT WAS COMING BOYS!

#202   careh

careh

• 2,225 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

#UnrealQuakeWatch

WE KNEW IT WAS COMING BOYS!

Spoiler

The thing is, I literally played a game of OW before completely content with Rein, but the idea in Quake just seems so filthy...

#203   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,206 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Spoiler

The thing is, I literally played a game of OW before completely content with Rein, but the idea in Quake just seems so filthy...

Id/Bethesda ruining childhood memories by the week, first it was Doom MP now Quake. :Beyond Dead:

99_2k4_sg.gif

On a related note, If anyone remembers this meme in regards to the shield gun in Ut2k3/Ut2k4 vs Ut99 you get all my internet points today. As such, began the never-ending civil war.

I dont like the ability itself in an FPS like Quake, but I actually wouldn't mind it as a pick-up type power-up that can only be used for a little while. There is a large portion of Quakers who feel defensive abilities have no place in an AFPS, but maybe its my older age but I feel having strategic new ways to play defensively is just as important as offensive-oriented power-ups and weapons in an AFPS. If you dont like that strategical back and forth mind-game that duel FPS thrive off of(as seen in Q3A/QL which made it a spectacular duel FPS), there's always instagib and Painkiller out there  :eyes:

#204   careh

careh

• 2,225 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:19 AM

#205   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

Looks like the Quake 1 RL is back, really dig it!  <3

Being a Q3A/QL veteran, this game looks very good so far....its a tad slower than Q3A and maybe not as fluent movement wise(just going by the eye test nothing conclusive) but its just going to be weird getting used to fighting against a fast character with air control like Anarki then fighting a slower bigger one like that evil robot champion. Especially in a game like Quake that depends on countless hours of muscle memory and real-time perception ability to hit skill frags like mid-air rockets and twitch rails that come from experience playing a consistent game with a consistent movement scheme with players that have equal traits in the beginning of games. Now you will be second-guessing that reaction depending on the champion your fighting. because they all move differently and have these hidden abilities. In a hyper-fast twitch shooter like Quake where there isn't time to recognize one champion from another compared to a slower FPS like OW where you can you have to wonder how that will effect competitive play and its replayability factor.

#206   S0UL FLAME

S0UL FLAME

• 1,194 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:12 PM

image.png

Final nail in the coffin for me.

#207   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,255 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Looks like the Quake 1 RL is back, really dig it!  <3

Being a Q3A/QL veteran, this game looks very good so far....its a tad slower than Q3A and maybe not as fluent movement wise(just going by the eye test nothing conclusive) but its just going to be weird getting used to fighting against a fast character with air control like Anarki then fighting a slower bigger one like that evil robot champion. Especially in a game like Quake that depends on countless hours of muscle memory and real-time perception ability to hit skill frags like mid-air rockets and twitch rails that come from experience playing a consistent game with a consistent movement scheme with players that have equal traits in the beginning of games. Now you will be second-guessing that reaction depending on the champion your fighting. because they all move differently and have these hidden abilities. In a hyper-fast twitch shooter like Quake where there isn't time to recognize one champion from another compared to a slower FPS like OW where you can you have to wonder how that will effect competitive play and its replayability factor.

The characters are an awful fit for Quake and I'm sure if anyone involved in that decision actually knew the IP, they would realize that. And it's not just that they have hidden abilities (the "actives" are still obnoxious bullshit). The characters have WILDLY different models and hitboxes, different starting and maximum health and armor values, different movement speed caps. Just about the only thing the characters have that isn't completely detrimental to the game are some of the passive movement abilities (air control, slide, wall kick, etc). There's some fun Quake action in there. It's just buried under a bunch of bullshit that they cynically tacked on to appeal to the casual kids with no attention span.

​And if those "new duel mode" details are accurate, they need to fix their shit ASAP, because that will be complete garbage.

#208   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

image.png

Final nail in the coffin for me.

Wow...not going to trust a random youtuber but if even partly true...

giphy.gif

The characters are an awful fit for Quake and I'm sure if anyone involved in that decision actually knew the IP, they would realize that. And it's not just that they have hidden abilities (the "actives" are still obnoxious bullshit). The characters have WILDLY different models and hitboxes, different starting and maximum health and armor values, different movement speed caps. Just about the only thing the characters have that isn't completely detrimental to the game are some of the passive movement abilities (air control, slide, wall kick, etc). There's some fun Quake action in there. It's just buried under a bunch of bullshit that they cynically tacked on to appeal to the casual kids with no attention span.

​And if those "new duel mode" details are accurate, they need to fix their shit ASAP, because that will be complete garbage.

The ironic thing is the lead designer Tim Willits has worked in a significant capacity on every Quake title and is actually very knowledgeable/passionate about Quake(look up some interviews), and I know most of the team are die-hard Quakers. Its Bethesda I worry about they haven't made a real "core" game in years as far as im concerned look at DOOM MP as an example(SP was good yes, MP left a bad taste in my mouth). Yes, a twitch Arena FPS and Champions/abilities is a weird mix, but I trust them still to find that balance between old and new. I cant say going "pure" would of been the right choice.

#209   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,255 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Wow...not going to trust a random youtuber but if even partly true...

The ironic thing is the lead designer Tim Willits is actually very knowledgeable/passionate about Quake(look up some interviews), and I know most of the team are die-hard Quakers. Its Bethesda I worry about they haven't made a real "core" game in years as far as im concerned look at DOOM MP as an example. Yes, a twitch Arena FPS and Champions/abilities is a weird mix, but I trust them still to find that balance between old and new. I cant say going "pure" would of been the right choice.

Yeah, I know Willits has been at Id for a LONG time. I'm always curious what actually went on behind the scenes when this kind of shit happens. It just seems like the kind of "innovation" that some dipshit in a suit who has never played a videogame in his/her life would think is a good idea. I'm still cautiously optimistic, since it's still early and the NDAs on the beta suggest that there is a lot of room for change, but what I've played of it so far is concerning nonetheless. There's Quake in there, but there need to be some significant NO BULLSHIT options in the game for the real fans (i.e. not the kids on Youtube insisting that change is always good, "old" is bad, and people who like actual Quake are "fantards"). "Champions" are cancer in FFA and they have no place in duel. Keep the nonsense to the team modes for the kiddies.

#210   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, I know Willits has been at Id for a LONG time. I'm always curious what actually went on behind the scenes when this kind of shit happens. It just seems like the kind of "innovation" that some dipshit in a suit who has never played a videogame in his/her life would think is a good idea. I'm still cautiously optimistic, since it's still early and the NDAs on the beta suggest that there is a lot of room for change, but what I've played of it so far is concerning nonetheless. There's Quake in there, but there need to be some significant NO BULLSHIT options in the game for the real fans (i.e. not the kids on Youtube insisting that change is always good, "old" is bad, and people who like actual Quake are "fantards"). "Champions" are cancer in FFA and they have no place in duel. Keep the nonsense to the team modes for the kiddies.

Exactly what I have been saying from the beginning! Leave the classic DM and Duel (and maybe a classic CTF and TDM modes with only Anarki for QW-style CTF or only Ranger for Q3 style play)modes alone that is in fact sacred ground for most Quakers and experiment with the champions in team game modes. That is what UT4 has been doing to an extent, they have their bread and butter modes classic UT modes but also some new team modes they are experimenting with as well. UT2004 did that to an extent with the addition of Onslaught, Bombing run, vehicle modes, and Clan match settings in addition to the traditional UT game modes. It was a huge success and it greatly benefited the modding community in making even more cool modes like freeze tag and Last Man standing. Q3A of course had Quake III clan arena which was a fun elimination game-type, but not part of the core Quake experience. I like the potential of champions in team modes/mods but leave the core DM game modes alone imo.

#211   Dalahi Lama

Dalahi Lama

• 1,087 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

I just want an arena game with huge population numbers 😢

Chat is lit

MLvSAZT.jpg

#212   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,206 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

LMAO @ amd *** rollin in so true!  :D

I feel u man, a community like Q3A or UT 99'/UT2k4 would be amazing, or even half that size!

#213   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR

• 1,671 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

I got a beta code finally... gonna install after work today.

#214   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 212 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'm seeing a ton of negative feedback about the current way duels work on Reddit so hopefully Bethesda fixes that.

#215   Roti

Roti

• 925 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

I was selected for the beta on Wednesday but never checked my email. I just found out and now I'm scrambling to get a few games in before it ends tonight :(

FML it ends 4 pm est so by the time i download it i'll be lucky to get one game in.

#216   Dalahi Lama

Dalahi Lama

• 1,087 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

They gave me three codes for my friends, hit me up for one.

#217   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 212 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

If I'd bought a new video card I would but I haven't yet.

#218   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,255 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

I too have three codes for "my friends."