Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quake Champions Discussion

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#176   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 37 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

You know as much as I hate id adding something new is the best approach to revive the dead afps genre.The vibe I'm getting from the gameplay I've seen is more of a class based shooter than a hero one.

#177   careh

careh

• 2,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

UT4 hasn't "failed" yet, its not even in beta, but yes in hindsight starting an open development that early with a very small team of devs, TONS of community conflict over the direction of the project(no duh), and limited resources was not a good idea. They should of have at least waited until it was in a  semi-polished playable beta state. I still have my hope that the game will get alot better closer to the beta stage and maybe the comp scene will pick up some steam.

My point was the AFPS NEEDS innovation and possibly fresh IP's as well, a Q3A copy will not be successful. Second, ID is not really copying OW, they had been planning to add characters and abilities to Quake either in QL update(thank god they didn't but still) or future projects. Technically, OW copied TF2, which came from the Quake mod QW:TF.

It's hard not to say UT hasn't failed. The project started August 2014, two and half years later the population is crumbs just simply hoping it will turn around in the future.

I honestly don't think it is concrete that AFPS needs innovation (purely from a gameplay aspect, peripheral experience ofc would help) when we literally haven't had a good AFPS that doesn't require you to 'have faith' in some regard. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm actually sad that I think AFPS missed a massive window when the only FPS considered polished and worthwhile was CS and as Overwatch proved there was room in the market for another shooter.

Also I would say TF2 and OW are in the same genre of class based shooter but there's enough distinction to say that it wasn't a 'copy', however that's neither here nor there.

#178   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,180 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

It's hard not to say UT hasn't failed. The project started August 2014, two and half years later the population is crumbs just simply hoping it will turn around in the future.

I honestly don't think it is concrete that AFPS needs innovation (purely from a gameplay aspect, peripheral experience ofc would help) when we literally haven't had a good AFPS that doesn't require you to 'have faith' in some regard. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm actually sad that I think AFPS missed a massive window when the only FPS considered polished and worthwhile was CS and as Overwatch proved there was room in the market for another shooter.

Also I would say TF2 and OW are in the same genre of class based shooter but there's enough distinction to say that it wasn't a 'copy', however that's neither here nor there.

This is what I posted in another thread about UT so I am just C+Ping it. A game cannot fail if it never yet was IMO. UT4 has everything it needs to become a huge and long lived competitive online game:
+Foundation of solid gameplay from the previous titles.
+ A unique theme that unlike for example CS actually makes sense both when:
A. Scaled down to low system requirements, clean shell maps, bright sports clothes, and fragged combatants being teleported off the map without any gibs or fuss.
B. Scaled up to high end detailed sci-fi environments, effects with fountains of blood and radio chatter with torrents of swears.

+Well established brand as a competitive game.
+Loyal fanbase that includes people who can produce art, write code, host servers, stream competitions and so on.
+Cool company that shows a lot more respect than some other gaming companies towards both themselves, their products, and their potential customers.
+Devs that experiment with promising ideas like TSD, teammate name tags, bio launcher, first person taunts, and minimize button in the menu.

It's just that:
-It would be so much better for everyone involved if developers who make truly unfinished games available to the public finished a minimal part of the game so the players had at least something that worked well while waiting for the rest of the game to get finished.
-Naturally many fans of previous UT games want the same thing as in their favorite previous UT game. However times have changed, it takes more than the past to build a long lived competitive game for the future. What we need is a new game that embodies what people loved about each one of the previous titles while also setting new trends for the future of competitive gaming.

UT4 still has potential IMO, much more than any other current AFPS project and its actually fun to play right now but most people are still infatuated with OW or whatever to care. The timing was not good I agree, but maybe if the final version is released around the time of QC when it has some initial success they can mutually benefit each other. It could be like when Goku and Vegeta fused together to form Gogeta to take down their nemesis. We be Fraggin like its 99' all over again  :glasses:

#179   Poolcat OG

Poolcat OG

• 90 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm doing my best to reserve my final judgment. 5v5 with champions and abilities just seems like a madhouse. Here's to hoping they don't mess up classic duel. 

Much better gameplay video of someone actually good:

https://drive.google...3h5d0RyeXM/view

#180   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 37 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

https://www.instagra.../p/BReI8wohjYT/
Anarki gameplay.

#181   careh

careh

• 2,113 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

110241-ZJwc4yXe-EQ.jpg

https://www.instagra.../p/BRgR2ruBUEe/

Crouch sliding is good, was hoping for a OW hero with a similar ability in the future.

#182   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,061 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

The passive abilities are so much more interesting than dumb shit like Shadow Walk. And it's definitely nice to see some gameplay from people who know what strafe-jumping is.

#183   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,180 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

The passive abilities are so much more interesting than dumb shit like Shadow Walk. And it's definitely nice to see some gameplay from people who know what strafe-jumping is.

I'm doing my best to reserve my final judgment. 5v5 with champions and abilities just seems like a madhouse. Here's to hoping they don't mess up classic duel. 

Much better gameplay video of someone actually good:

https://drive.google...3h5d0RyeXM/view

Wow, looks great! Anarki is def gon be my choice, it seems like that will be the fav for many experienced Quake players. That CPMA-style air control is too sexy!

Is it weird that the first thing I thought of when I saw Nyx "shadow walk" is this quote: quote-John-Romero-you-want-stealth-be-a-

Legendary! Thats probably the most 90's FPS quote I have ever heard. "You want stealth? Play Nyx in Quake Champions!"  :D

#184   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,180 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

Makes mention of a duel mode, perhaps it will be officially supported in MM?

#185   careh

careh

• 2,113 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

Makes mention of a duel mode, perhaps it will be officially supported in MM?

The three videos on his channel are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else we've seen so far. Looks a lot more polished with decent players as well, will hold my judgment.

#186   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,180 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

The three videos on his channel are leaps and bounds ahead of everything else we've seen so far. Looks a lot more polished with decent players as well, will hold my judgment.

Yeah the new vids have definitely made me optimistic. I am very disappointed that the plasma gun and grenade launcher aren't returning though

One thing that made me question myself though is how fast the strafe jumping/bhopping is. It seems they hit max speed as soon as they do their first circle jump which worries me. Makes it too easy to move around, when the whole point is you ramp up speed as you do it.

#187   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=1rPGUd9AGDM
Good video I agree mostly.I think if AAA publishers made these games they'd be more popular but still nowhere near a top genre.

#188   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR

• 1,616 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

Yeah the new vids have definitely made me optimistic. I am very disappointed that the plasma gun and grenade launcher aren't returning though

One thing that made me question myself though is how fast the strafe jumping/bhopping is. It seems they hit max speed as soon as they do their first circle jump which worries me. Makes it too easy to move around, when the whole point is you ramp up speed as you do it.

could be a game setting they used for this event.

#189   S0UL FLAME

S0UL FLAME

• 1,160 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

Peeps, may I present to you...

Spartan Charge and Ground Pound. Two point oh. 

#190   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 989 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

Bullrush seems absolutely pointless.  What's to stop people from just strafe jumping or rocket jumping out of the way?

His passive is more like Manntreads / Market Gardener than it is Ground Pound.  Landing on top of people is already hard enough as is in TF2, doubt it will be happening much in Quake.

Shadow-walk is still complete bullshit though.

#191   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR

• 1,616 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

i just hope for classic modes, with quake, the wheel doesnt need to be reinvented.

#192   arglactable

arglactable

• 1,061 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Bullrush seems absolutely pointless.  What's to stop people from just strafe jumping or rocket jumping out of the way?

His passive is more like Manntreads / Market Gardener than it is Ground Pound.  Landing on top of people is already hard enough as is in TF2, doubt it will be happening much in Quake.

Shadow-walk is still complete bullshit though.

Really, that's why this character doesn't bother me too much. Seems like he would be worthless for anyone who isn't a massive noob. So easy to dodge some idiot charging at a moderate pace in a straight line and his base movement looks to be among the worst. Maybe that kind of thing will help to reduce the pool of actually viable characters for people with functional hands? Still dumb, though.