Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quake Champions Discussion

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#126   EagleBurn

EagleBurn

"Arena"

• VIP

• 5,999 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

cahKljk.png

Guess we won't be getting equal starting weapons

He knows he's lying to himself with the "it's not classes, it's champions". That's what bothers me so much about the development of this game. It's not that it isn't arena, it's that they're not even confident enough about their own game that they have to try to sell it as something that it isn't. And this isn't opinion. It's like if Epic said "Gears of War isn't third-person, it's behind-the-character and the character isn't centered." It's just playing around with logistics to misguide potential consumers. No matter if you prefer arena, class, hero, or whatever shooter, this is not a good sign. It's a complete lack of confidence in their own product.

#127   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,164 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

cahKljk.png

This has always been a controversial topic among Quakers but if there was one thing I would be open to experimenting with in Quake would be the change of the starting default weapon in modes outside of DM and Duel mode which utilize different rule-sets. The mg has always been lackluster as a starting weapon(nobody ever mentions the mg as one of their favorite weapons in Quake) and its only useful for finishing players off, which is by design obviously, but if there is one thing I instantly liked more about UT than Quake when I started playing it was the starting weapon of the enforcer(semi-auto pistol) over the machine gun.

The enforcer not only can be used adequately as protection off spawn until you get to better weapons but it can be deadly when duel-wielded as well.  It also has a higher skill-gap with head-shots doing more damage. Its also a factor in why I feel that some people gravitated towards UT as a team game over Quake later on. Now obviously the games are quite different and it might be heresy to some players to suggest it(Some QW players still hate the introduction of the RG to this day because they think it make Quake too hit-scan dominant and defensive) but its one thing I wouldn't mind them experimenting with in the gameplay formula. Now, I dont want load-outs and I dont like the idea of starting with a shotgun, but I would not mind them experimenting with the starting weapon in different team game-types especially in a new game. Here is to hoping id doesn't mess this up and I am able to add QC to my collection. My original Quake disk-tray was lost unfortunately awhile back and Quake 4 isn't there because it doesn't deserve to be. Will QC make the cut?  :thinking:

CpS0losUIAAnlpo.jpg

#128   Warlord Wossman

Warlord Wossman

• 632 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

No classes, you can only choose the weapon you are starting with... there we go, starting to act like Halo devs.

This game will be trash I tell you. No idea why people are getting hyped for it. It's not Quake, they use the name because it's known and force all kinds of modern bullshit into the game. Stuff that fucks with the gameplay we expect out of a Quake game tbh.

#129   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

No classes, you can only choose the weapon you are starting with... there we go, starting to act like Halo devs.

This game will be trash I tell you. No idea why people are getting hyped for it. It's not Quake, they use the name because it's known and force all kinds of modern bullshit into the game. Stuff that fucks with the gameplay we expect out of a Quake game tbh.

lol you're comparing this with halo................Bruh they didn't just change a couple mechanics they made a shooter of an entirely different genre.What happened with halo was bad but this is on an entirely different level.

#130   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:08 AM

lol you're comparing this with halo................Bruh they didn't just change a couple mechanics they made a shooter of an entirely different genre.What happened with halo was bad but this is on an entirely different level.

This was my initial reaction as well, from the leaked gameplay(now taken down) I saw and from the vets I heard from at Quakecon that actually got to play the game they say it played like classic Quake. The way the champions are set up in QC are not like classes or load-outs, they just cater to different segments of the existing Quake player-base(which never has agreed on anything) and cater towards a loosely defined "play-style" but the champions are not going to force you into roles like Overwatch does.

If you want to play like CPMA then you choose Ranger which has CPMA air control, if not, choose the other champion that moves more like vq3. Want to move like in QW? You choose Anarki that has QW air control but less base health.If you want to play like QW you just create a custom game with only QW style champions allowed, disable the ultimates and there you go.

As long as the whole champions concept does not effect weapon damage/accuracy and just lets you play like you're playing a different Quake game I could see it as being beneficial if its done right and they dont go overboard with it. Who knows, maybe it could even add an additional layer of strategy. Like say you want the flag carrier as Anarki because she's the most elusive while someone playing defensively would pick a champion with higher base health. Its definitely a fine line, but Quake will always be about skill-based encounters and fast-paced Arena FPS gameplay the champions wont decide encounters. 

If the champions and ultimate abilities create a "bridge" for OW/TF2 players or otherwise to start playing Quake Champions more power to them. Some Quake/UT pros are even playing comp OW right now and can show those players how great Quake/UT is. I am going to try and be objective here and not judge the game before I get to play it because I want it to succeed for the community and id. Less we remember QW players hated Q2 test in the beginning as well(rail-gun domination, increased weapon damage changed the entire game) and TONS of players hated Q3A in the beginning(SLOW compared to QW, RG still OP, no air control,ect..) why do you think CPMA was created? But those games eventually developed into quality Quake games in their own right. Sometimes people forget that about Q3A even though its so heralded today(rightfully so), the community and the mods that came after it really made the game into one of the best FPS ever. Quake champions deserves the opportunity to do the same before being written off as something it clearly is not.

id/Bethesda are said to be really pushing QC for e-sports and I dont think its entirely a bad thing if both CTF/TDM and Duel are featured if team modes are going to be emphasized more. Quake CTF has always been a way more popular game-type anyways and its been run in tournaments before and people have loved watching it. I see legends like Fatality streaming UT4 just demolishing people in duel and nobody watches despite the gameplay being absolutely amazing. Same thing with QL, guys like cooller stream it regularly and nobody watches. People just dont care about skill-gaps in FPS like they used to. 95 plus percent of modern players have never watched/played Quake or other fast-paced DM FPS. its all about team FPS now and Quake has to try to stay relevant in other ways with the modern FPS audience as much as I hate it.

#131   Warlord Wossman

Warlord Wossman

• 632 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

That's not what I meant, I was talking about devs lying about features.

This was my initial reaction as well, from the leaked gameplay(now taken down) I saw and from the vets I heard from at Quakecon that actually got to play the game they say it played like classic Quake. The way the champions are set up in QC are not like classes or load-outs, they just cater to different segments of the existing Quake player-base(which never has agreed on anything) and cater towards a loosely defined "play-style" but the champions are not going to force you into roles like Overwatch does.

If you want to play like CPMA then you choose Ranger which has CPMA air control, if not, choose the other champion that moves more like vq3. Want to move like in QW? You choose Anarki that has QW air control but less base health.If you want to play like QW you just create a custom game with only QW style champions allowed, disable the ultimates and there you go.

As long as the whole champions concept does not effect weapon damage/accuracy and just lets you play like you're playing a different Quake game I could see it as being beneficial if its done right and they dont go overboard with it. Who knows, maybe it could even add an additional layer of strategy. Like say you want the flag carrier as Anarki because she's the most elusive while someone playing defensively would pick a champion with higher base health. Its definitely a fine line, but Quake will always be about skill-based encounters and fast-paced Arena FPS gameplay the champions wont decide encounters. 

If the champions and ultimate abilities create a "bridge" for OW/TF2 players or otherwise to start playing Quake Champions more power to them. Some Quake/UT pros are even playing comp OW right now and can show those players how great Quake/UT is. I am going to try and be objective here and not judge the game before I get to play it because I want it to succeed for the community and id. Less we remember QW players hated Q2 test in the beginning as well(rail-gun domination, increased weapon damage changed the entire game) and TONS of players hated Q3A in the beginning(SLOW compared to QW, RG still OP, no air control,ect..) why do you think CPMA was created? But those games eventually developed into quality Quake games in their own right. Sometimes people forget that about Q3A even though its so heralded today(rightfully so), the community and the mods that came after it really made the game into one of the best FPS ever. Quake champions deserves the opportunity to do the same before being written off as something it clearly is not.

id/Bethesda are said to be really pushing QC for e-sports and I dont think its entirely a bad thing if both CTF/TDM and Duel are featured if team modes are going to be emphasized more. Quake CTF has always been a way more popular game-type anyways and its been run in tournaments before and people have loved watching it. I see legends like Fatality streaming UT4 just demolishing people in duel and nobody watches despite the gameplay being absolutely amazing. Same thing with QL, guys like cooller stream it regularly and nobody watches. People just dont care about skill-gaps in FPS like they used to. 95 plus percent of modern players have never watched/played Quake or other fast-paced DM FPS. its all about team FPS now and Quake has to try to stay relevant in other ways with the modern FPS audience as much as I hate it.

Well if you want to make a game that modern kids play you probably have to have classes and champions and bullshit moba like "ultis" but that's not what anyone of the AFPS scene wants. Don't start with the "you can spawn a custom server and disable xy" we all know that nobody will play like that if the tournaments are with the default BS settings. That also takes my interest as a whole, they are not making a game with champions to disable them in the tournaments because that would be dumb.

It's a fact that their focus is not on AFPS gameplay since they force in modern stuff because they think that might increase the player count. It probably will since todays people get hyped by trailers rather than gameplay videos. Kids want to be a superhero in a shooter with all kinds of cool looking abilities, that's what matters if you want to sell your game to 14 y/o kids, not the amazingly large skillgap.

It will work, maybe you swap all the oldschool players with teenagers who jumped on the trailer hypetrain but that's not their problem since they just care about the numbers.

Classic Quake always had equal starts and if you take that away I am out. As I said multiple times Reflex is way more focussed on gameplay and I don't know why anyone in this thread would rather play QC than Reflex since QC is a sellout to cater to modern kids which didn't even know that Quake existed until they saw the QC trailer.

#132   Hitman

Hitman

• 3,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

That's not what I meant, I was talking about devs lying about features.

Well if you want to make a game that modern kids play you probably have to have classes and champions and bullshit moba like "ultis" but that's not what anyone of the AFPS scene wants. Don't start with the "you can spawn a custom server and disable xy" we all know that nobody will play like that if the tournaments are with the default BS settings. That also takes my interest as a whole, they are not making a game with champions to disable them in the tournaments because that would be dumb.

It's a fact that their focus is not on AFPS gameplay since they force in modern stuff because they think that might increase the player count. It probably will since todays people get hyped by trailers rather than gameplay videos. Kids want to be a superhero in a shooter with all kinds of cool looking abilities, that's what matters if you want to sell your game to 14 y/o kids, not the amazingly large skillgap.

It will work, maybe you swap all the oldschool players with teenagers who jumped on the trailer hypetrain but that's not their problem since they just care about the numbers.

Classic Quake always had equal starts and if you take that away I am out. As I said multiple times Reflex is way more focussed on gameplay and I don't know why anyone in this thread would rather play QC than Reflex since QC is a sellout to cater to modern kids which didn't even know that Quake existed until they saw the QC trailer.

And Reflex is basically a carbon copy Quake 3 CPMA(the devs which are CPMA players even admitted it) with better graphics does that make it better?All I am saying is If you take an objective look at Quake Champions and not base QC's champions on other shooters(mainly OW which everyone is comparing it to) you will see that the champions are for the most part nothing more than characters from Quake 1-3 with the movement attributes from those games with a one-time special ability that is on a 40 sec CD. Game-breaking? I think not. Equal starts are an identifying factor of Quake but from what I have heard and seen it hardly really matters. Its still going to be the same Quake where if one player is stacked and the other isn't its not going to matter if you chose the champion with slightly less base health. QW players will love Anarki because she's faster and has QW air control, Q3 CPMA players will love Ranger because of CPMA physics, ect.. it could unify the fan-base IF done correctly. I think what they did in QL with adding significant primary load-outs is much more of a game-changer than what QC is attempting to do with champions.

Everyone bitching now will be in on the beta day 1 anyways and they know it. I dont like everything I see either but things are subject to change that is why they are having a public beta and are responding to feedback. When everyone sees Fatality vs Rapha in a show-case match set-up by id/Bethesda or some other epic match-up everyone will see its true Quake and the king is back. Everyone knows QC(and possibly UT4 if Epic stops messing up the movement) has the best chance of any Arena FPS to bring the genre back to prominence and a legitimate chance to be picked up by major e-sport leagues and they will be there day 1 if they are true Quake fans.

#133   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 3,903 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

cahKljk.png

Who's this sponge guy?

#134   publicbussystem

publicbussystem

THE GOAT

• 2,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

MATCHMAKING BOYZ

http://forums.reflex...ironguard-more/

5ce6ce5c9608cfe53db6bc9f65d1b60b7fe3edba

#135   EagleBurn

EagleBurn

"Arena"

• VIP

• 5,999 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

They definitely need to add bots in this game. I'm way too rusty to be playing seasoned players. Getting my ass handed to me, which is technically a good thing but I wish there was a proper bot mode to brush up on.

#136   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR
  • Premium

• 1,507 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

They definitely need to add bots in this game. I'm way too rusty to be playing seasoned players. Getting my ass handed to me, which is technically a good thing but I wish there was a proper bot mode to brush up on.

CAme on here thikning there was QC news...