Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Quake Champions Discussion

• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#251   TTUVAPOR

TTUVAPOR

• 1,766 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

Damn that sucks. What about the game turned you off?

I think it's just too much going on graphically. There's a very "unreal" feel to the game graphically...though I know both Quake and UT started out the same...it's just I always thought Quake had its own identity. The word I thought of immediately was clutter. I felt very cluttered in the game.

What I noticed immediately was that it's very difficult to notice the items/weapons on the map...maybe it's just me, but I couldn't see a clear distinction of what each weapon was on the map, so majority of the time I was trying to figure out what the hell I picked up and where items spawned such as rockets and armor.

I may give it another try once it's out of early access and is officially released. I'm also not into the whole champions thing. I think they should at least take the approach the PUBG does and offer both a champions and classic quake matchmaking experience. PUBG has third person (which has an audience) and first person...both sides are satisfied.

It could very well be my own ignorance but I just didnt have that "feeling" I get when I play Quake Live. The game is probably good for what it's designed for but I just don't think I'll be spending much time with it unfortunately. Maybe feelings will change once it officially releases. :(

#252   Warlord Wossman

Warlord Wossman

• 639 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

I am glad that everybody is fine with champions these days, not like they (and more so the system they implemented for them) totally breaks the duel mode imo.
Items don't mean much (yes in close matches they will and pros will use them) compared to other AFPS so it's mostly aim and I guess positioning (unless your oponent had the Ghostwalk aka "get out of jail free"-card aka bad positioning can't be punished).

Most champions can't really stack up high anymore and people play super defensive anyways (yes some pros are aggressive but most of the time they know the enemy is low and have the aim to move in).

The game mostly devolved to aim as the chances to come back into the game is pretty non existent via item control.

You can't push the game into a split control state item-control-wise and try to take control the life after because the limiting lifes system is total garbage.

#253   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,187 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

I agree with ripharambe in that the biggest, most noticeable change for me isn't the champions, it's the player stack and amount of health/armor pickups on the map.

It used to be you had tons of different kinds of both, they were all over the map to be contested, and half of those types were capable of raising them past your max value.  Now there's only really two types of pickups for each, only the big versions of those two types are actually capable of raising your stats past max value, and at least in armor's case it's so scarcely placed on the map that you'll be forced to go without armor far more often than you ever would have in Quake 3.

I kind of understand why they did it this way, having tons of pickups can cause massive differences between players and champions already do that so they didn't want things to go even further in that extreme.  It's still shocking nonetheless though.

Balance...ironically most of the champions people had kneejerk reactions about are actually in the middle or bottom tiers.  Even Nyx, strong as her passive is, still isn't the best champion (don't get me wrong she's still high tier but so are many others).  Visor is pretty low tier, his active isn't good enough to make up for everything else about him (his passive basically never comes into actual play for several reasons).  Blazkowicz is basically in the same spot as Visor. Clutch is the worst champion in the game and is currently caught in a TF2 Pyro style situation so people worried about him can rest easy.  I will say that aside from Clutch none of them strike me as useless or being far below anyone else, so that's a good sign.  Anarki and Sorlag are perhaps too strong and need some tuning, though that could also be tied to other issues going on in the game right now.

Duel is...eugh.  Nothing about the new Duel makes any sense.  What is this pick three, round based one-life nonsense I'm hearing about? Just make a 1v1 deathmatch where both players have the same champion and call it a day, really not that hard to get right.  Don't pull a 343i and reinvent the wheel for no reason.

Speaking of pulling a 343i, this game unfortunately struggles to get the core basics of a shooter right.  The netcode is still wonky and people still report FPS stuttering even on high end PC's, and there's limited gameplay options as well, crosshair customization is confirmed to be on the way but somehow isn't here yet.  These are all things the developers need to focus on before worrying about microtransaction shit.

#254   Gobias

Gobias

• 2,064 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

When I tried to play the beta in the spring, the load times were so slow that I was timed out before I could even set foot on the map. Champions is definitely not geared for low-end PCs like 95% of arena shooters. There should always be customizability so people can choose to play on lower settings or use better-optimized files if they so desire.

I think it's just too much going on graphically. There's a very "unreal" feel to the game graphically...though I know both Quake and UT started out the same...it's just I always thought Quake had its own identity. The word I thought of immediately was clutter. I felt very cluttered in the game.

What I noticed immediately was that it's very difficult to notice the items/weapons on the map...maybe it's just me, but I couldn't see a clear distinction of what each weapon was on the map, so majority of the time I was trying to figure out what the hell I picked up and where items spawned such as rockets and armor.

I may give it another try once it's out of early access and is officially released. I'm also not into the whole champions thing. I think they should at least take the approach the PUBG does and offer both a champions and classic quake matchmaking experience. PUBG has third person (which has an audience) and first person...both sides are satisfied.

It could very well be my own ignorance but I just didnt have that "feeling" I get when I play Quake Live. The game is probably good for what it's designed for but I just don't think I'll be spending much time with it unfortunately. Maybe feelings will change once it officially releases. :(

Quake Live is such a good looking game imo. The visual clarity is super sharp even with all effects enabled.

My steam account is http://steamcommunity.com/id/gobiased if you (or anyone) wants to play. My aim isn't the best, but my item control is the top tier--another reason why I wouldn't like Champions even if I could play it.

#255   Killmachine

Killmachine

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

His item control isn't top tier, he just plays people that are really shit and don't care to time

#256   Warlord Wossman

Warlord Wossman

• 639 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

His item control isn't top tier, he just plays people that are really shit and don't care to time

No shit, I thought he was rapha with a shaky hand.

@Gobias I would be up to play Reflex if you own that. Can also walk you through the maps I designed that made it into the competititve pool.

#257   Gobias

Gobias

• 2,064 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Harsh, dude... joke's on you though because you're the only person I 1v1 normally, therefore you have admitted to being shit. :kappa: For real though, I think item control/timing is one of my only strong suits. Remember when you were spectating me versus that one QL kid on CPMA? I was getting outaimed to hell and back, but I stole tons of RAs and megas. And I played against someone good in Reflex who said my control was pretty good. My problem is I get impatient and take losing battles because every battle seems like one to lose when you can't aim...

No shit, I thought he was rapha with a shaky hand.

@Gobias I would be up to play Reflex if you own that. Can also walk you through the maps I designed that made it into the competititve pool.

I've been playing since the tail end of early access. Feel free to add me, but I'll warn you that I'm pretty busy these days, haven't played since August/July. Can you tell me the names of the maps so I can hop around on them a bit?

#258   Warlord Wossman

Warlord Wossman

• 639 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

I've been playing since the tail end of early access. Feel free to add me, but I'll warn you that I'm pretty busy these days, haven't played since August/July. Can you tell me the names of the maps so I can hop around on them a bit?

My Steam is exaclty the same as my name on here. Made Static Discharge and Monolith and helped on a ton of other maps promEUs made as assisting mapper.

Would be nice to get some duels at some point.

#259   Pyroteq

Pyroteq

• 925 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:36 AM

I'm actually enjoying Quake Champions.

Sometimes the lag seems a bit BS, but in my short time with it I've had some pretty good fun with it, especially comparing it to other shooters I've tried recently.

Not a fan of the champion abilities at all, but apparently we'll have an option to get rid of that garbage in custom games. As far as the abilities go, they're not too OP (at least, from my limited experience) but at the same time they don't really add anything to the game and they obviously exist for the sole purpose of trying to entice casual gamers.

As far as weapon balance, I'm finding it pretty good, although the lightning gun seems a bit too OP ESPECIALLY with quad damage. Pretty much every single person that picks up the quad damage will use nothing but the lightning gun because it's just too damn powerful and even if they just swipe it over you for half a second you're dead.

The new maps are pretty good IMO. I love the re-imagining of Camp Grounds (Q3DM6).

Unfortunately the engine seems kinda crappy. I really wish they had used iDTech 6. Doom just ran so damn smoothly and Quake Champions would have benefited from it.

#260   MultiLockOn

MultiLockOn

Edge Lord

• 2,513 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm actually enjoying Quake Champions.

Sometimes the lag seems a bit BS, but in my short time with it I've had some pretty good fun with it, especially comparing it to other shooters I've tried recently.

Not a fan of the champion abilities at all, but apparently we'll have an option to get rid of that garbage in custom games. As far as the abilities go, they're not too OP (at least, from my limited experience) but at the same time they don't really add anything to the game and they obviously exist for the sole purpose of trying to entice casual gamers.

As far as weapon balance, I'm finding it pretty good, although the lightning gun seems a bit too OP ESPECIALLY with quad damage. Pretty much every single person that picks up the quad damage will use nothing but the lightning gun because it's just too damn powerful and even if they just swipe it over you for half a second you're dead.

The new maps are pretty good IMO. I love the re-imagining of Camp Grounds (Q3DM6).

Unfortunately the engine seems kinda crappy. I really wish they had used iDTech 6. Doom just ran so damn smoothly and Quake Champions would have benefited from it.

What is quake running on if not id tech?

#261   Ramirez77

Ramirez77

• 1,187 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Some weird hybrid engine between IdTech 5 and whatever Sabre is doing.

Ironic that new ideas aren't killing this game, but rather the poor state of it's basic functionality is.  Never thought that of all things would be the death of an Id game.

Hopefully they fix the game soon.

#262   Warlord Wossman

Warlord Wossman

• 639 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

If you think duel mode is not killed by the crappy round system you did something wrong imo.

Anyways the playerbase is really low already. AFPS simply is a dead genre and I can't see it ever comming back.

#263   ripharambe

ripharambe

• 425 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

https://www.reddit.c...ame_rates_clip/

Holy fucking shit this is literally game dev 101 and they fucked it up.The incompetency when it comes to code is killing this game.