Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Halo 5: Guardians Arena Gameplay Settings Thread

• Please log in to reply
2518 replies to this topic

#1   CyReN

CyReN
  • Admin

• 17,094 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

Discuss, fight, love. Do it all here.

Topics:

• Sandbox Balance
  • Weapon Placement
  • Map Tuning
  • Player Traits
  • eSports/Team Arena Map-Gametype Combinations

Current HCS Gametype Rotation:

N19j9KS.png

#2   Igs cubanex

Igs cubanex

• 3,942 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

POPULAR

I refuse to talk about settings with an according thread title. Feels wrong

#3   mikeface killah

mikeface killah

❤ ❤ ❤

• Premium

• 1,190 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:39 PM

exhibit A for why radar is actually good:

http://xboxdvr.com/g.../video/15105090

:kappa:

#4   -DeucEy-

-DeucEy-

• 2,046 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

POPULAR

My list of improvements I would make:

• Remove Pegasus completely.
  • Decrease the weighting on Overgrowth and Riptide. 
  • Increase the weighting on Truth and Coliseum.
  • To4s vs To4s, To3s vs To3s, and mixed solo/To2s vs mixed solo/To2s with looser matchmaking restrictions.
  • Make the ability to be knocked out of a division after a certain number of losses at the lowest rank in the division.
  • Remove MMR matchmaking from Social Playlist.

#5   El Vortex

El Vortex

[Insert Title Here]

• Premium

• 3,303 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

*Prepares Body for this awesome thread to unfold*

#6   FLuFFy

FLuFFy

• 5,633 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

POPULAR

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

#7   Igs cubanex

Igs cubanex

• 3,942 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

But but pro said Radar good...

#8   NavG123

NavG123

• 3,863 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:10 PM

Riptide and Overgrowth need to be removed from the playlist ASAP. Everytime either map comes up in Team Arena, the pre-game lobby needs to rotate through 3-6 different players until it finds a combination of 8 people who won't dashboard immediately after seeing one of those come up.
remove radar
Remove sniper from Eden. It's too easy to use and lock down a large portion of the map with.
remove radar
Remove sniper from Rig for the same reason. Not sure why the sniper was even put on this map.
remove radar
Remove either the shotgun, or both of the storm rifles from Empire. Gun skill in Halo has never mattered less than this gametype.

#9   FLuFFy

FLuFFy

• 5,633 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

But but pro said Radar good...

Who's pro?

#10   mikeface killah

mikeface killah

❤ ❤ ❤

• Premium

• 1,190 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

REMOVE RADAR!

bb99ac4bb1c2848e15735df77174a59d.jpg

#11   Acey

Acey

• 75 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

-Remove SBMM from social playlists. Everytime I try to play with real life friends we match people way better than them. It's not fun for anyone.
-I feel like over 50% of my games are on Pegasus, Overgrowth, or Riptide. There's so many good maps but those are all I play.

Allet I can think of right now.

#12   Igs cubanex

Igs cubanex

• 3,942 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Who's pro?

ROY said it, i disagree with his thought process.

#13   mikeface killah

mikeface killah

❤ ❤ ❤

• Premium

• 1,190 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Who's pro?

I believe Roy and Lethul have both spoken in favor of radar in competitive for Halo 5.

#14   AkaDemiK

AkaDemiK

• 5,651 posts

POPULAR

anyone that comes into this thread arguing for radar or supports it in any capacity in competitive settings is letting the community down and is simply riding the "hot new thing" train...

with that said

remove radar

remove radar

remove radar

remove sprint

#15   Ugug

Ugug

• 1,120 posts

POPULAR

Warning: essay post

When designing a competitive playlist for Halo, the main goal should be to make it as skillful as possible. Radar and automatics severely diminish the competitiveness of the arena playlist.

It is not a sufficient argument to say that they still take skill or that they add another layer to the game. Team rockets takes some skill; 3 friends and I would probably lose to CLG 9/10 times in team rockets. That doesn't mean that rocket start is as skillful as pistol start. Similarly, if we have a more competitive option than radar and autos, we should take it. Also, adding another layer to the game is not desireable if it detracts from a more skillful layer.

If we can all consider the skill of awareness to be an important one in Halo, we can agree that anything that feeds the player information without the player needing to think is less skillful. Other than with sound-whoring (which is a discussion for another time), players previously could only gather knowledge of the other team's positioning through their own map/spawn knowledge, awareness, or through the communication of their teammates. With the radar, the player can see with only the most minimal effort the position of an enemy player. we gain the extra, extremely minimal layer of skill that is required to check your radar while losing a huge layer of skill required for awareness and predicition.

If we agree that accuracy is an important skill in halo, we can agree that spawning with an extremely powerful weapon at close range that requires virtually no skill to aim is less competitive. Spawning with the ar in halo 5 reduces many close range engagements to two players spraying their ars. We gain the extra, extremely minimal layer of skill that is required to know when to pull out your ar while losing a huge amount of skill that is required to outshoot someone with a precision weapon at close range.

Some people might say that by my definition rockets should be taken off the map since they're easy to use. However, that is balanced by the fact that rockets typically spawn in open, heavily contested areas and are not in your back pocket at all times.

Finally, using a pro's opinion in this thread is not an argument. While pro's obviously understand the game at a high level, they have a wide variety of opinions just like any other group of people. Some examples include (correct me if I'm wrong on any of these)

Ogre 2 saying, "no bloom=no skill" in halo reach
Ryanoob saying at the time that Halo 4 was the best Halo
Ninja praising Halo 4 and then saying later that he was just saying that to try to keep the game alive
Ghostayame saying that Halo 3 was better than Halo 2

#16   Killmachine

Killmachine

ULTIMATE GAMER

• Premium

• 4,432 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

POPULAR

No radar and 4sk magnum.

Also, nade hitmarkers removed...Quinn tweeted earlier he's open to the idea. Start tweeting him boys

#17   mikeface killah

mikeface killah

❤ ❤ ❤

• Premium

• 1,190 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

have fun in here, guys! hope each and every one of you gets your way  :ghost:

#18   Cooper

Cooper
  • Banned

• 4,381 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

Remove sprint

That is all

#19   FLuFFy

FLuFFy

• 5,633 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

I feel like when removing radar in competitive it's going to bring in more methodical plays, and pushes. It's going to make people think, and be more aware. Radar really defeats the purpose of being sneaky, and trying to out play the opposition.

Also in the long run it's going to save your thumb.

#SaveTheThumb 

#20   NavG123

NavG123

• 3,863 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

have fun in here, guys! hope each and every one of you gets your way  :ghost:

That's the last straw. I have had ENOUGH OF THESE GOD DAMN MEMES. GET OUT OF THIS THREAD.

#21   liife

liife

• 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

Remove radar and spartan charge. Introduce party restrictions. 4sk magnum wouldn't hurt either. 

#22   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,483 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

No hitmarkers on grenades is easily the biggest thing. we've been asking for their removal since halo fucking 4. Knowing whether or not your grenade hits it one of the biggest factors in deciding whether or not to push. Hitmarkers on grenades allow you to get information on the enemy location without actually knowing they were there. You might have a general idea where the opponent is, however that's not enough to make a push. Simply chuck a grenade and if you get no hitmarkers you know he's not there and that side, or you get hitmarkers and know hes on this side and he's weak. It's simply a broken mechanic. 

Radar has no place in competitive arena. Giving you knowledge you don't earn is silly and promotes camping (like literal camping, not just defensive play). 

Thruster should reset your shield charging timer like sprint does. 

Make autos map pickup only. It really stops exciting reversal plays from happening when you're always being sprayed with an auto. There's a chance the guy could miss 3 pistol shots and I can destroy him while no shields. There's no chance he's going to miss a spray from an auto, and since people always have one in their back pocket on spawn, people always take it out to finish one shots. 

and of course, I'm an advocate of removing sprint. It doesn't belong anywhere outside campaign. 

Also remove footstep sounds. It's ridiculous that you have to shimmy in order to move without giving away your location. "sound whoring" has been ridiculous since halo 4. In halo 3 it was bearable because footsteps could only be heard super close, but I might as well be wearing tap dancing shoes in halo 5 5058_2.jpg

edit: I also think the pistol should get some buff. At the very least it needs a bigger ammo clip, but it should be buffed to 4sk (with the same rate of fire, don't pull a halo4 br on us 343).

#23   xxcloud7xx

xxcloud7xx

• 383 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

• Rework the weapon sandbox entirely. Buff the pistol to a 4SK, nerf autos, and reduce bullet magnetism on all weapons(especially the sniper). I would also like to see the weapon sandbox be more diversified because there are too many weapons that share the same roles. To prevent the weapon sandbox from being cluttered with redundant weapons I would like to see weapons have their own unique traits such as quick camo, plasma stun like Halo 1's PR has or a EMP effect that prevents players from using the spartan abilities for a few seconds, and different melee speeds and ranges.
  • Remove radar(motion tracker) from team arena(HCS).
  • Put power-ups on 60-90 second static timers for consistency and clarity.
  • Remove all the spartan abilities and the stabilizer from team arena(HCS).
  • Remove all of the developer maps(because they're mediocre for competitive play) from team arena(HCS) and replace them with good quality forge maps that complement the competitive settings.
  • Make sure that the power-ups and weapons placement on the forge maps are ideal for competitive play.
  • Make sure that all the power items on the forge maps are on frequent static timers so it encourages player movement and discourages player stagnation.
  • Put the respawn time for team slayer back to 5 seconds and put objective repsawn up to 10 seconds.
  • Remove grenade hit-markers.
  • Make it where the weapons pads don't give away your position when picking up an item from it and make it where you can adjust how much ammo a weapon on a weapon pad has with using forge.
  • Make it where you can carry up to four frag grenades and four plasma grenades. Only suggest doing this if grenade hit-markers get removed.
  • Make it where you don't de-camo when using a faster base player movement speed than intended.
  • Increase forward acceleration and strafe acceleration to compensate for the lack of spartan abilities and to make strafing more effective.

#24   mierder

mierder

• 361 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

No hitmarkers on grenades is easily the biggest thing. we've been asking for their removal since halo fucking 4. 

ONLY if they remove radar too. Hitmarkers are a good tool to flush campers off corners.

#25   Cooper

Cooper
  • Banned

• 4,381 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

N

Thruster should reset your shield charging timer like sprint does.

Interesting.