Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can someone recommend me a good gaming monitor?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

I know this probably belongs in the general gaming section, but this sub forum gets checked a lot more and I really need some answers asap.

I am moving to AZ in 10 hours.. for 3 months. It's not realistic for me to bring my TV with me, and I plan on playing a decent amount of Halo competitively online. This is where I need your expertise and help bc I know nothing about gaming monitors and refresh rates and whatnot.

I will most likely head to a Best Buy or something along those lines when I get settled in AZ. I'd say my price range is up to $250 max at the moment (unless absolutely compelling evidence suggests otherwise) bc I'm not sure how I'll bring the monitor back to Chicago after the 3 months (I'll be flying).

What make and model is the best? What size monitor? I want the best bang for my buck to have a great gaming experience and play competitively.

Thank you very much

#2   Sorbin

Sorbin

• 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

@AkumaMatata recommended the Asus VE228H to me and I love it. It's very affordable and is advertised with a 5ms response time; its actual time according to the inputlag.com database is 11ms which is comparable to a BenQ (10ms actual time).

I was on a budget so I went with that and it's been more than suitable for competitive play.

Edit: of course, if you want to spend a little more BenQ is the competitive standard and they have a couple of models around $180 USD with a 1ms response time (~10ms actual).

#3   Moses_FPS

Moses_FPS

πŸ’‘ πŸ…ΈπŸ…½πŸ†ƒπŸ…΄πŸ…»

• Premium

• 9,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:29 AM

http://www.bestbuy.c...4&skuId=3706239

Asus is a good brand for monitors, 1080p, 2ms response time (good)

Basically all you need to play competitively

#4   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:29 AM

Awesome, I'll check that out. What ms response times should I look for then? 1 second?

24" or 22" or 27"?

LCD or LED HD?

Edit: that looks like a great deal Moses! Maybe I'll get that. Then again, I know nothing, Jon Snow

#5   zZunair

zZunair

• 4,101 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:32 AM

Yea as Sorbin said I use that Asus model.

If it helps with the credibility, I play competitive games outside of halo where having a few frames of input lag is detrimental to competitive play. The monitor I use is really good, it's just a bit small (21.5).

Here's a good site to help you out choose a monitor for competitive play http://www.displayla...splay-database/

#6   Sorbin

Sorbin

• 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

That monitor is a great deal. Anything 5ms and under is going to be ideal; a 2ms monitor at that price is a steal.

#7   Bionic Cell

Bionic Cell

• 328 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

I'd recommend the VX238 ASUS monitor, I have it and its amazing. 1ms response time, 2 HDMI ports and all that 

#8   Moses_FPS

Moses_FPS

• Premium

• 9,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

Awesome, I'll check that out. What ms response times should I look for then? 1 second?

24" or 22" or 27"?

LCD or LED HD?

Edit: that looks like a great deal Moses! Maybe I'll get that. Then again, I know nothing, Jon Snow

The things to look out for in a gaming monitors are :

Resolution: 1080p minimum
Response time ( the time it takes for pixels to change colors: you can get away with 5ms but 2ms or even 1ms is my recommendation
Refresh rates (hz =fps): so for xbox one you need a monitor that has at least 60hz or higher, if you're a PC gamer who games in 144ps you need a 144hz monitor

Size is preference but I like 23-27, and led is much better but I forget why atm :)

#9   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.

Do I want LED or LCD and why?

#10   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

The things to look out for in a gaming monitors are :

Resolution: 1080p minimum
Response time ( the time it takes for pixels to change colors: you can get away with 5ms but 2ms or even 1ms is my recommendation
Refresh rates (hz =fps): so for xbox one you need a monitor that has at least 60hz or higher, if you're a PC gamer who games in 144ps you need a 144hz monitor

Size is preference but I like 23-27, and led is much better but I forget why atm :)

Great explanation, thanks man

#11   JBee

JBee

Lion

• Premium

• 1,557 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:07 AM

Im dead

#12   Riddler

Riddler

• 4,158 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:09 AM

24" or 22" or 27"?

LCD or LED HD?

anything 20-24" is fine. Anything bigger is too much. They use 20-24" at lan events so i'd stick with that.

LCD/led doesnt matter

Any asus monitor model post 2013 will do you very fine and almost all of them are below your budget. If you weren't playing on a monitor before but instead an HDTV, you will notice the difference in aiming with the low response time. As for taking it back home, just ship it if you're worried or bring it as a carry on

#13   Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt

• 1,289 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

I have the top rated 27" ASUS MX279H on www.displaylag.com and it's an amazing monitor. It has 2 HDMI ports, so you can have both the 360 and Xbox One plugged in.

#14   FiR3STORM

FiR3STORM

• 59 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:20 AM

I like 24 inch over 27. 24 inch is plenty big enough and you can sit close enough that you can wire your controller with a USB cable.

#15   ZerueLX11

ZerueLX11

PC Master Race

• Premium

• 2,226 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

I know this probably belongs in the general gaming section, but this sub forum gets checked a lot more and I really need some answers asap.

I am moving to AZ in 10 hours.. for 3 months. It's not realistic for me to bring my TV with me, and I plan on playing a decent amount of Halo competitively online. This is where I need your expertise and help bc I know nothing about gaming monitors and refresh rates and whatnot.

I will most likely head to a Best Buy or something along those lines when I get settled in AZ. I'd say my price range is up to $250 max at the moment (unless absolutely compelling evidence suggests otherwise) bc I'm not sure how I'll bring the monitor back to Chicago after the 3 months (I'll be flying).

What make and model is the best? What size monitor? I want the best bang for my buck to have a great gaming experience and play competitively.

Thank you very much

I made a thread about this, read it and decide.

http://teambeyond.ne...or-thread-2015/

BenQ RL2460HT Black [ Competitive ] SPECIAL!
Resolution: 1080P 24 inches
Refresh Rate:75Hz
Response Time: 1ms
Panel Type: TN
Price: $240
HDMI to DVI adapter/cable NOT needed!

Personal Note: This is the best Competitive Console gaming in my opinion. Also it has an HDMI output that is useful for streamers! 

Also this monitor has my vote

#16   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:46 AM

I just thought of this, and these might be the dumbest questions ever, so I'm sorry.

Do these monitors have speakers/provide audio?

Will they have any coax outlets if I decide to hook up cable to them?

#17   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Polite bump.

I'm concerned about the possibility of no sound from these seemingly awesome monitor deals...if that's the case, what's the best/most affordable way to get sound?

#18   Poolcat OG

Poolcat OG

• 95 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

Polite bump.

I'm concerned about the possibility of no sound from these seemingly awesome monitor deals...if that's the case, what's the best/most affordable way to get sound?

You mean sound via speakers? Some monitors have built in speakers, but you should probably be using a headset for sound anyways. If you don't have a headset, I would suggest spreading your $ to cover both a headset and monitor. 

Most monitors won't have an old school coax connx, but you could use an HDMI input with a cable/satellite box. 

#19   giobernard

giobernard

• 425 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

You mean sound via speakers? Some monitors have built in speakers, but you should probably be using a headset for sound anyways. If you don't have a headset, I would suggest spreading your $ to cover both a headset and monitor.

Most monitors won't have an old school coax connx, but you could use an HDMI input with a cable/satellite box.

Damn. So how much does a decent headset cost that'll emit the game sounds I need??? Sooo much money needed lol

#20   Moses_FPS

Moses_FPS

• Premium

• 9,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

i would also recommend a headset but you could also just look for an 1080p,60hz, 2ms monitor with speakers

headsets don't have to be expensive, you could get a cheaper headset and then save for astros in time

http://www.gamestop....et-black/125006

#21   Poolcat OG

Poolcat OG

• 95 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

Damn. So how much does a decent headset cost that'll emit the game sounds I need??? Sooo much money needed lol

It all just depends on how much you are willing to spend and preference, you get what you pay for for the most part. Pay attention to the connectivity and headset adapters if you have the older XB1 controller without the 3.5 mm port on the bottom. Some come with an adapter, or you may have to buy the XB1 headset adapter to use whatever headset with a 3.5 mm connx. 

Just do research. Look up Astro, HyperX, Turtle Beach, and Steelseries. You could always go with the xbox stereo headset for a budget option. 

#22   zZunair

zZunair

• 4,101 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

http://www.amazon.co...L/dp/B00JJNQG98

I would cop these as they were recommended to me but I personally never used them. I see a lot of people use HyperX and if you go with a relatively cheap monitor like what I recommended you can spend like $200 for everything. The Asus ve228h though does have speakers but they're nothing to write home about

#23   Poolcat OG

Poolcat OG

• 95 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

http://www.amazon.co...L/dp/B00JJNQG98

I would cop these as they were recommended to me but I personally never used them. I see a lot of people use HyperX and if you go with a relatively cheap monitor like what I recommended you can spend like $200 for everything. The Asus ve228h though does have speakers but they're nothing to write home about

This is what I have and I like them. They come with the splitter to a single 3.5 mm port, so you'll either need a new controller with the port, a mixamp, or the xbox headset adapter to use game chat. 

As a heads up, HyperX said they are coming out with a CloudX model specifically for the XB1 at some point relatively soon

#24   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,491 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

LED monitors are just standard LCD with LED backlights, so they can get blacker-blacks since the LEDs can totally shut off.  Thats pretty standard nowadays so you dont really pay a premium for it anymore.

Unless you are really high-level you really dont need some crazy $400 monitor.  a good $200 will do ya'

Consider getting an IPS monitor too.  I know the response time stats are not as gawdy, but really you aren't going to be able to tell the difference between 5ms and 2 ms.  Those response times are doctored anyway and there is no standardized way to test it, so don't trust them.

I have this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236335 and for the price its awesome.  Just put it on Game Mode and turn Trace-free up to 40 or 60 and you're good to go.  Only $130 right now at newegg.

If you're willing to sped a little more get this one: http://www.newegg.co...6-313-_-Product

Most pro's use BenQs that are twice that much, but they are really paying for the feature set (cable management, number of inputs, etc) not actual screen performance.

#25   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• Premium

• 3,491 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

any 3.5 MM audio headset will work if you hook them up through the controller (if you have a newer controller or the adapter).  I use the earbuds w/ mic that came with my phone occasionally, and that was free.