Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

• Please log in to reply
5141 replies to this topic

#51   JitteryBrah

JitteryBrah

Potato

• 794 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

bbc genetics

and inko, it can be done.  just stay hydrated brah.  dat heat.

#52   dukiduke

dukiduke

• 618 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hydrated and eat extra food. Food always helps

#53   EpidemiK

EpidemiK

• 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

I need to lose weight but I work at McDonalds now and holy shit I'm so weak, the temptation gets to me.

#54   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

I need to lose weight but I work at McDonalds now and holy shit I'm so weak, the temptation gets to me.

As long as it fits the macros, eat whatever the fuck you want lol.

#55   EpidemiK

EpidemiK

• 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Macros?

#56   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Macros?

Eat at a calorie deficit, if the mcdonalds fits in your deficit, its all good. I wouldn't suggest it though.

#57   EpidemiK

EpidemiK

• 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Meaning, if I eat 500 calories I have to be able to burn off 500 calories for the day?

#58   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Meaning, if I eat 500 calories I have to be able to burn off 500 calories for the day?

No, there is a certain calorie level where you will be able to maintain your weight, if you eat under that maintenance level you will lose weight. If you ate mcdonalds and were still in a calorie deficit at the end of the day, you would still lose weight.

Say you need 2000 cals to maintain, you will not gain or lose weight.

Eat 1800 cals you will lose weight

Eat 2200 cals you will gain weight

If you want to eat a 600 calorie burger, feel free cause you still have 1200 cals left to eat to stay in a deficit.

#59   EpidemiK

EpidemiK

• 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

This is confusing. How will I know what my defecit is etc etc etc?

#60   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

It's all math, you can google some calculators and stuff, refer to above post as well for example.

It's determined by your activity level throughout the day and your height and weight and stuff.

here's a calculator as an example, I have no idea how accurate it is but you'll get the idea.

http://www.calorieki...ies-calculator/

#61   EpidemiK

EpidemiK

• 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hmm, I might need some help with this. I'll try asking my friends who go to the gym often.

I just want to lose this stupid gut I've accumulated.

#62   amo819

amo819

Scalzo Sucks

• 8,758 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Deadlifts can be quite good for people that suffer from lower back problems as long as they use them properly to strengthen. 

My father, who has had 2 lower back surgeries, is stronger now than he has ever been and he is 47 years old. Deadlifts have played a huge role in him getting to the point he is at now, but you need to do them properly and you need to do them for the right amount of weight. 

As for me, it is time to start cutting hard. 1 month left till an 11 day trip to Hawaii. 

#63   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hmm, I might need some help with this. I'll try asking my friends who go to the gym often.

I just want to lose this stupid gut I've accumulated.

I probably confused the shit out of you.

Sign up for myfitnesspal.com, put all of your info in and just log what you've eaten today. It'll tell you if you've gone over your calorie limit to lose weight, which I assume you probably have. This is what I use to track the food I've eaten throughout the day so I can lose/gain weight at a consistent pace.

It's a pain in the ass to log food everyday even though it takes 5 minutes, but it's not really a big deal to me since I basically eat the same shit every day.

#64   Beryl AU

Beryl AU

• 1,225 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Be careful with IIFYM as a lot of take away food is low in fibre and high in sodium.

#65   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

Be careful with IIFYM as a lot of take away food is low in fibre and high in sodium.

What is a good amount of fiber per day?

I eat about 30 grams per day.

#66   Beryl AU

Beryl AU

• 1,225 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

What is a good amount of fiber per day?

I eat about 30 grams per day.

If you are getting 30g you're doing fine.

#67   InKo

InKo

• 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

After counting calories and my protein intake...everything gets confusing for me.  Idk my carb intake, I'm just sure to eat most of them before a workout, and less on off days.  Fiber?  I do my best to add greens...but when I just want to fill up with meat, I got some powder and pills to take.  Sodium?  Got no clue.

Should I be taking Vit D supplements?

#68   Beryl AU

Beryl AU

• 1,225 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

As long as you're getting 1gram / lbs (bodyweight) of protein and 0.4 lbs (bodyweight) of fat you can fill whatever is left of your cals with carbs (or protein/fat).

I take vit D as I work in an office and get next to no sunlight on my skin. Most people don't get an adequate amount of vit D, so it's probably not a bad idea to supplement.

#69   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

After counting calories and my protein intake...everything gets confusing for me.  Idk my carb intake, I'm just sure to eat most of them before a workout, and less on off days.  Fiber?  I do my best to add greens...but when I just want to fill up with meat, I got some powder and pills to take.  Sodium?  Got no clue.

Should I be taking Vit D supplements?

I don't see a reason to eat less carbs on off days. Just eat the same amount every day. Your body is recovering on off days and those carbs would help. But as Beryl said, get the right amount of protein and fats and just fill the rest of your calories with carbs.

#70   InKo

InKo

• 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm pretty close to hitting my lifting goals before I do a major cut till I'm below 200 on a full stomach.  If I lose any weight between now and then, that is cool and all...but this is summertime in a small town in the south.  A lot a of beer drinking has been happening.  The reason I do that with the carbs(inb4 "BUT THE BEER") is carbs are the first source of energy.  Less carbs to burn more fat to burn.  Am I wrong on this?  It isn't like I'm eating absolutely no carbs...I just eat half of what I normally eat(half a sweet potatoe{depending on size} or 1 piece of bread for a sandwich).

Edit

Stronglifts is no joke.  The squats are killing me.  Honestly, until I am done with my 3rd set, I feel really let down and it is hard to get the motivation to keep going.  I almost said fuckit and left the gym after my second set yesterday.  Once I get passed the 3rd set though I'm good cause I just think "Well damn, I'm already half-way over.

I might either do 3x5 with squats or go back to SS all together.

#71   Res05

Res05

• 147 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Multiply your weight by 18, and that's the amount of calories you need in order to maintain.  Subtract from there = deficit.  Just a way of doing it without any calculators.  

Obviously, it's just a rough estimate and it all varies from person to person, but working from there lets you decide if you need to eat more or eat less.  

#72   sbk

sbk

• 1,403 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'm pretty close to hitting my lifting goals before I do a major cut till I'm below 200 on a full stomach.  If I lose any weight between now and then, that is cool and all...but this is summertime in a small town in the south.  A lot a of beer drinking has been happening.  The reason I do that with the carbs(inb4 "BUT THE BEER") is carbs are the first source of energy.  Less carbs to burn more fat to burn.  Am I wrong on this?  It isn't like I'm eating absolutely no carbs...I just eat half of what I normally eat(half a sweet potatoe{depending on size} or 1 piece of bread for a sandwich).

Edit

Stronglifts is no joke.  The squats are killing me.  Honestly, until I am done with my 3rd set, I feel really let down and it is hard to get the motivation to keep going.  I almost said fuckit and left the gym after my second set yesterday.  Once I get passed the 3rd set though I'm good cause I just think "Well damn, I'm already half-way over.

I think the whole less carbs burn more fat theory is just broscience. A calorie is a calorie when it comes down to it, and being in a deficit is enough to lose body fat. The macros are more for your energy levels, hormone balance, and maintaining and building muscle and stuff. (carbs, fats, protein).

I've tried low carb and high carb diets in the past and noticed no difference in fat loss consistency, only energy levels. I'm currently cutting on around 250 carbs and am seeing a consistent weight loss.

But hey, if it works for you then do what works for you. 

#73   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Edit

I moved on from stronglifts to Madcow. Whats your BW and what are you squatting right now? I switched to 3x5 then 1x5 before going to Madcow. 5x5 was just way too much, 3x5 does the same thing.

#74   InKo

InKo

• 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I moved on from stronglifts to Madcow. Whats your BW and what are you squatting right now? I switched to 3x5 then 1x5 before going to Madcow. 5x5 was just way too much, 3x5 does the same thing.

Squat: 285lbs.  Weight: 220lbs.

I'd like to do a 5/3/1 program down the road, but I'm scared to do any 1rm's without a spotter

I think the whole less carbs burn more fat theory is just broscience. A calorie is a calorie when it comes down to it, and being in a deficit is enough to lose body fat. The macros are more for your energy levels, hormone balance, and maintaining and building muscle and stuff. (carbs, fats, protein).

I've tried low carb and high carb diets in the past and noticed no difference in fat loss consistency, only energy levels. I'm currently cutting on around 250 carbs and am seeing a consistent weight loss.

But hey, if it works for you then do what works for you.

I'd honestly say nothing has worked for me because of 2 things.  I have no self control and I'm very bad at reading what my body is telling me.  Since starting about 5 months ago, I'm the exact same weight now as when I started.  I cared about weight loss in the beginning but cared about strength more since I'm weak.  After seeing the skinnier people struggle with gains, I decided to just maintain till I hit 2/3/4(bp/squat/dl) then cut to about 195.

Man, I can't wait till I get under 200.  Next summer I'm not gna wear a shirt.

Fuckit...

or pants.

#75   JitteryBrah

JitteryBrah

Potato

• 794 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

sup