Welcome to Beyond Entertainment

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Beyond Entertainment, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Beyond Entertainment by signing in or creating an account.
  • Share your thoughts on the Halo franchise with our active community
  • Talk about upcoming Halo tournaments and conventions
  • Join Beyond Premium for extra forum features
  • Send personal messages to other forum members
  • Stay up-to-date on our: Twitter, Facebook and Youtube

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weight Training, Diet & Exercise Advice Thread

• Please log in to reply
5141 replies to this topic

#5126   Apoll0

Apoll0

Weekend LAN party? oh wait...

• 5,020 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

What documentaries do you recommend?

Anything by michael pollan is good. He definitely has a more balanced approach than a lot of folks.

His stuff includes:

Cooked (on Netflix)

In Defense Of Food (PBS special.  Might  be on a streaming service)

and parts of the classic if outdated Food, Inc.

I would read "The Omnivores Dilemma" as well.

Random other documentaries:

Sugar Coated - This goes into the history of our relationship with sugar including how FUCKED policy makers are and what too much sugar actually does to our bodies.

The Human Experiment - This is not about food per se, but it goes over the chemical industry and how they don't have to prove that their products are safe, they have to prove that they aren't harmful, which is a much lower burden of proof.

Rotten - This is about the business of food and covers a variety of topics.

Cowpocalypse - This is admittedly a vegan propoganda film.  Much of it takes a good look at the factory farming practices for meat producers.  Its disgusting..  His conculsion in the last 10 minutes doesn't make sense to me though. He basically says "factory farming is evil, therefore we need to shut it down by all being vegan".  Which makes no sense since 1) ecologically speaking, the environment is much MUCH healthier when is has a bunch of different inputs and outputs from both plants and animals. 2) It totally dismisses simply carefully sourcing your food and eating less meat, since the average westerner eat WAY too much meat as a portion of their diet.  If you go to the farmer market and the meat producer there gives tours of their farm, they animals probably have pretty good lives, the meat will be more expensive and you will naturally eat less of it.

Farmageddon - Another one about how big agribusiness has driven legal policy in such a way to harm small producers.

You'll notice a good portion of those are more about policy and food sourcing than what is actually good or bad to eat.  That's mainly because my personal belief (which has come about after watching and reading all this stuff) is that eating real food, that was raised/grown properly, which comes from understanding where food comes from, will take care of 95% of your nutritional questions as a by product.  I really like one of the Michal Pollan documentaries where be basically sums it up by saying, "Eat real food, Mostly vegetables and not too much".

Alright I think I understand. Do you happen to know any specific ingredients that are not digestible? I can keep a look out for those.

Anything with Hydrogenated oils.  Basically they take vegetable oil, heat it, pressurize it and inject hydrogen into it so that it binds with the oil to make it solid at room temperature.  This is used a lot to simulate meat fat, but is a form that doesn't exist in nature since none of the conditions required to make it actually exist outside of a lab, let alone in a living thing. it produces trans fats and otherwise our bodies basically don't know what to do with it.  If there is one fat that is super bad for you, its trans fats in any amount.

The jury is still out on Acesulfame K.  Its an artificial sweetener that may or may not be carcinogenic. Other artificial sweeteners are NOT carcinogenic like aspartame and saccharin.  The reason I don't like food that has artificial sweeteners is mostly because they are cheap.  And if they are cheaping out on some ingredients, what else are they cheaping out on?  The thing is, if you want something sweet have it! just have less than an "American Portion" and don't eat it all the time.  No need to avoid cupcakes at a party, but if you're eating them for breakfast... that's a problem lol.

The general rule is, pay attention to the ingredients list.  If it has stuff you can't pronounce, look it up. Some things are ok, like Ascorbic Acid which is just vitamin C.

Another general rule is, the more ingredients, to more unnecessarily processed the food probably is.  Some supermarket breads have like 30 ingredients. Basic Bread only needs 4.  Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast.  If you're making an old sourdough, you don't even necessarily need yeast. A fancy bread might have like 7 or 8 ingredients if you add things like honey, milk, eggs or mix-ins like nuts.

Also do yourself a favor and get a bread machine  (I recommend the Cuisinart CBK-100) and learn to make whole-wheat or half whole-wheat bread.  Real, fresh whole wheat bread is so good.  The reason people think its bad is because the supermarket stuff tastes like ass and its harder to make shelf stable than white bread, so advertise have been tricking us for literally generations.  When you throw out the bran like you do with white bread, you also throw out the good oils which is the part that can go rancid and become bitter when it gets really old.  If you store whole wheat flour in the freezer, it lasts a lot longer.  It still take a good 3-6 months to start going rancid though, which tells you how old the flour used on those store breads is if they are starting to taste bitter....  We don't store ours in the freezer because we go through it too fast. The recipes are slightly different so if you try to follow a white bread recipe for whole wheat bread, you're going to have a bad time but follow a proper recipe and you (and your colon) will thank yourself later.

Edit: Also I refer to "store breads" a few times there.  And by that i mean the stuff that comes in the plastic bags in the middle aisles.  Some stores have actual bakeries that make real bread every day.  That stuff is probably fine, and since the people that made it are there they can probably answer questions. And you should ask questions because even those bakeries are often just a facade and really get their bread shipped in like the shitty bread in the store.  And sometimes when it gets shipped in it was made fresh the day before in a central warehouse and shipped out that day, which is probably fine. So ask questions lol

#5127   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

Interesting stuff man. I'll start actually checking my ingredients more rather than just looking at protein and carbs lmao

#5128   GeneralBeatDown

GeneralBeatDown

• 733 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

Dont have my home setup at the moment since I just moved. Started going to a gym.

Whats a general rule for how much shit to take up at one time? Went in this morning to do chest and some assclown was taking up all 3 squat racks 2 benches and a smith machine for some stupid circuit routine.

#5129   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

Dont have my home setup at the moment since I just moved. Started going to a gym.

Whats a general rule for how much shit to take up at one time? Went in this morning to do chest and some assclown was taking up all 3 squat racks 2 benches and a smith machine for some stupid circuit routine.

I don't think I can accurately describe how absurd that is. fuck him just take a rack lol

#5130   GeneralBeatDown

GeneralBeatDown

• 733 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

I don't think I can accurately describe how absurd that is. fuck him just take a rack lol

Decided to just do a different day today and will just go slightly out of order this week. It felt incredibly absurd since me and some other dudes and some chick were all just awkwardly standing around all this shit before we all went and did other things instead.

#5131   Apoll0

Apoll0

• 5,020 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

Decided to just do a different day today and will just go slightly out of order this week. It felt incredibly absurd since me and some other dudes and some chick were all just awkwardly standing around all this shit before we all went and did other things instead.

Yeah that's some horseshit.  That's why everybody needs a home gym and know how to "read the room".  If you want to do a circuit fine, but design it using a couple barbells and get the fuck out of the way.  Going to the gym is the worst.

Speaking of home gyms, does anybody have a short rack that they use for low ceilings?  

#5132   GeneralBeatDown

GeneralBeatDown

• 733 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

Yeah that's some horseshit. That's why everybody needs a home gym and know how to "read the room". If you want to do a circuit fine, but design it using a couple barbells and get the fuck out of the way. Going to the gym is the worst.

Speaking of home gyms, does anybody have a short rack that they use for low ceilings?

How low are we talking?

#5133   Apoll0

Apoll0

• 5,020 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:06 PM

How low are we talking?

I measured earlier and its like 78 inches.  I checked on amazon and have my eyes on a 6' rack from Titan Fitness and i'm over 6' myself, so idk if its going to end up just being a bigger pain in the ass than its worth, watching my head all the time.  I think it will be fine but was hoping someone had some experience with a rack like that.  I'll need a new bench to go with that i can actually scoot in and out of the thing and am debating over getting a cheaper flat bench, or one that can actually incline.

#5134   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

I measured earlier and its like 78 inches.  I checked on amazon and have my eyes on a 6' rack from Titan Fitness and i'm over 6' myself, so idk if its going to end up just being a bigger pain in the ass than its worth, watching my head all the time.  I think it will be fine but was hoping someone had some experience with a rack like that.  I'll need a new bench to go with that i can actually scoot in and out of the thing and am debating over getting a cheaper flat bench, or one that can actually incline.

I bought a half rack years ago to fit in my parents basement. I'm like 5'10 so it works for everything. Reason I got it is cuz the basement isn't big enough for a full rack. Only problem is you cant do standing OHP.

#5135   Apoll0

Apoll0

• 5,020 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

I bought a half rack years ago to fit in my parents basement. I'm like 5'10 so it works for everything. Reason I got it is cuz the basement isn't big enough for a full rack. Only problem is you cant do standing OHP.

Ahh nice. I do my overhead stuff seated with dumbbells anyway. Pronated grip on a barbell makes my right shoulder complain. What brand/model is your half rack?

#5136   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

Ahh nice. I do my overhead stuff seated with dumbbells anyway. Pronated grip on a barbell makes my right shoulder complain. What brand/model is your half rack?

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#5137   jain

jain

• 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:33 AM

Do regular exercise and control diet.

#5138   shantidope

shantidope

• 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

have you ever heard about cannabis can helps you to lose weight. it will come as no surprise to them that those who smoke it are usually slimmer compared to those who don’t. As a natural bodyweight regulator, cannabis also helps to fight diabetes in the body. As I continue researching, Cannabis can also help you to relieve some pains. kylekushman.com/topic/propagation-cloning-cuts-slips101/ I learned thru this bout medical cannabis. do you wanna try cannabis?

#5139   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

Sup everyone.

Just switched to the PHUL routine. Gonna do it with some slow progression but I've enjoyed it thus far. I think it'll be good for me in the long run.

#5140   moviepost

moviepost

• 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

I am very interested with healthy diet. I eat fish everyday and a lot of fruit and cut back msg-filled food and that got me always feeling fresh.

#5141   Rhythm825

Rhythm825

• 139 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

Any reason you chose PHUL over PHAT?

#5142   Destroyaaa

Destroyaaa

• 2,777 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

Any reason you chose PHUL over PHAT?

I must have had my reasons but I don't remember them right now lol